Remove Dura Ace decals on 9100 brakes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

PinaRene

by PinaRene

Does anyone know if it is possible to remove the Dura Ace 9100 decals of the brake calipers, and has anyone tried it ? Polishing or Acetone might work I guess, but with it leave some marks behind ? I want to give the 9100 brake calipers a chance on my eTap bike to see if I can get a better caliper set-up.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lewn777

by Lewn777

I think they are sprayed on under clear-coat, so I doubt acetone will work, it would probably be a case of light sanding and re clear-coating, but I doubt you'll end up with such a nice finish. BTW I've got 9100 Dura Ace calipers and they look great and work extremely well on my SRAM Force 22 mechanical bike. personally I don't care about having a mismatched groupo and have no need to remove the decals.

ilikegreen

by ilikegreen

Put some black electrical tape over it while you're testing. Pretend it's a prototype component.

TonyM

by TonyM

ilikegreen wrote:Put some black electrical tape over it while you're testing.
That‘s what I do on some parts on my bikes.
Easy method (also used by some Pros).

Kimmoth

by Kimmoth

Pretty sure it's in the anodising, you guys.

Before anodising is sealed it's porous; at this point masking can be applied to make fancy stuff happen with the dye. After dyeing and removal of masking, then it's sealed.

Sanding it would be idiotic, IMO. You could strip the anodising with caustic soda and repolish and reanodise... The paintball guys are right into fancy anodising if you want a lead for that.

Kimmoth

by Kimmoth

Mind you, if there are any steel parts permanently embedded in the aluminum, that's a deal breaker.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com