Power ARC Saddle - How to setup?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nonamed

by nonamed

I got new saddle - Specialized Power ARC 155mm . Unfortunately I am still strugglin how to set up it properly - tilt/ angle and how to measure it properly? I can not find comfortable tilt :(

Does anyone have any experience with this saddle and can share some tips?

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AnkitS

by AnkitS

Have the rails parallel to the ground. This will cause the saddle itself to be slightly downwards. That is what worked for me. I'll attach photos when I get home.

nonamed

by nonamed

icantaffordcycling wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:36 pm
Have the rails parallel to the ground. This will cause the saddle itself to be slightly downwards. That is what worked for me. I'll attach photos when I get home.
Gonna try this however I wonder how to measure the level of the rails - Looks like I do not have much space to put my cell phone there. Waiting for pictures. Thanks!

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Like was said above, any new saddle start with rails parellel to ground (both tires on bike, tires on ground - not on the trainer).
The nose will be slightly high than the center. Afterward, adjust the tilt so your bottom stays in the right place.

nonamed

by nonamed

Will You share some photos?
Thanks!

AnkitS

by AnkitS

Potato pics. This is not a power arc or a real power (15$ of AliExpress) but the rails are parallel to the ground or slightly downwards. The saddle is then is the perfect position to not cause you to slip off of it or be painful. Hope this helpsImage

MagicShite

by MagicShite

Does this apply to the Shimano Pro Stealth as well?

I recently had some problems with chaffing...

SchallUndRauch

by SchallUndRauch

My preferred method is putting a ruler or sth similar, longer than the saddle itself, on the top of the saddle, and then my smartphone on top, measuring the overall inclination. How much, if any, inclination one should have, depends on riding style, geometry of the bike, biological differences...

Nejmann

by Nejmann

2 cm longer back than your old saddle.

zefs

by zefs

I would try an angle that keeps your pelvis stable and not slipping forward when applying power to the pedals. What issues with comfort are you experiencing? Since the Power saddles allow the sit bones to be used more it could be that you need to get used to it as well.

Berzin1

by Berzin1

Actually, the Power Arc by Specialized (at least the one I have) specifically states to adjust the saddle 3 cm behind where you had the old one.

Chafing may be an issue if you purchased the 155mm saddle because of the width. I went with a 143 and no problems with that as of yet.

As far as getting the saddle itself level, put the frame on a stand, level the top tube, put the level on the saddle, and loosen/tighten the saddle rails accordingly until its' level.

It takes a while and could be frustrating, but once you get it you're good to go.

andreas

by andreas

3cm? Wow, that would require a larger frame size for me.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

andreas wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:12 am
3cm? Wow, that would require a larger frame size for me.
The Power is 3cm shorter than a conventional saddle and that difference is due to essentially cutting the nose off of a traditionally dimensioned saddle. Setting it up with a saddle setback 3cm greater than, say, a Spec Romin or Toupe, will put the meat of the Power, where your sitbones will rest, in just about the same place as with the Romin or Toupe.

You need not worry.

glepore

by glepore

MagicShite wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:36 am
Does this apply to the Shimano Pro Stealth as well?

I recently had some problems with chaffing...
I use the straitedge method, and set up both the power and the stealth about 2 degrees nose down.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

L3X

by L3X

nonamed wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:39 pm
Gonna try this however I wonder how to measure the level of the rails - Looks like I do not have much space to put my cell phone there. Waiting for pictures. Thanks!
Assuming you use your phone to measure: just take the saddle off, put it on a table and measure the angle - then mount the saddle again with the same angle? :smartass: