Why spend so much on a helmet?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
kgt

by kgt

There is absolutely not need to pay 300€ for a helmet but 80-120€ is ok.
A good helmet should protect (of course), be relatively light, have enough ventilation and fit perfectly. Like shoes a helmet without a perfect fit does not worth it IMO. In my case LAS helmets fit me like no other helmets. I live their magnetic closure too. I also like Lazer helmets a lot.

nachetetm

by nachetetm

In the past we had no idea how to choose a helmet, other than look and price. We all assumed they passed the proper controls so they had a minimum safety threshold. This has changed:
https://www.helmet.beam.vt.edu/bicycle- ... tings.html
My last helmet was chosen according to that study (they keep testing helmets and updating the list). Pick a price range and search which helmet in your price range gets five stars. Easy! It is evident that MIPS is mandatory for the maximum safety, so let's stop buying helmets without it.
In my case, I managed to find the Bell Stratus MIPS at 65€ and considering that all the reviewers comment that fit very well I went for it. It does indeed fit well, it is a bit lighter than my previous helmet (my neck gets less tired) and I know for sure it is among the safest industry is producing nowadays. If people stops buying four and three star helmets (that are not necessarily cheaper) all the brands will put extra effort in getting five stars, a win-win situation.

by Weenie

PokojniToza

by PokojniToza

kgt wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:32 pm
There is absolutely not need to pay 300€ for a helmet but 80-120€ is ok.
A good helmet should protect (of course), be relatively light, have enough ventilation and fit perfectly. Like shoes a helmet without a perfect fit does not worth it IMO. In my case LAS helmets fit me like no other helmets. I live their magnetic closure too. I also like Lazer helmets a lot.
Same here. I haven't had an opportunity to try all of them, but from those I have only Lazer and Cask seem to fit my oddly shaped head well. Giro, Specialized, Limar, Bell, etc. just do not fit me well. Currently I use a Mojito, but I am already thinking of replacing it with a Lazer one.

F45

by F45

I spend a lot because 1. I never crash and 2. They last forever, so it stands to reason I will be wearing it for 20 years and the cost is actually very low spread over 20 years. Using a helmet liner means it never gets stinky, either.

bikerdan

by bikerdan

When I was younger my parents insisted I rode with a helmet. This was just as helmets we're arriving on the market. To be fair to my parents they always brought me the best one around and back then every new one seemed a lot better.

I've carried buying the top model, maybe out of habit. Also had a few crashes along the way that has just reinforced my attitude.

Accept fully I possibly don't need to but now fit is the biggest driver anyway. Having a 59,5 head means I no longer fit in medium in most helmets. Did before...so either my head grew or the market changed. Now I'm happy in my Poc Octal

Sent from my BND-L21 using Tapatalk

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

It's more or less vanity. Most people buy the looks just same as with bikes and clothes.

Saying a bike helmet last for ever or long long time is so wrong!!!
Let's go to something that we don't wish to hear. The material ages and become more porous.
Sweat (body fluids), UV are two bandits!
A motorcycle helmet shouldn't be used more than maximum 6 years before replacement.
Looking at age for a bicycle helmet and you will find different suggestions.
Some suggestions is as low as every 3 years.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2018.12.21)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=156137
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D

kgt

by kgt

Tests have proven that a well kept 10 year old helmet is no less safe that a 10 days one.
https://helmets.org/replace.htm
And according to Snell MIPS does not add anything in practice:
https://helmets.org/mips.htm
It is a big discussion, I know...

1415chris

by 1415chris

Who would use the same helmet, part of cycling fashion too for 10 years?
I couldn't resist and got myself new helmet. The oldest of 3 I already have is around 5 years old.
I don't buy MIPS concept as well.

nachetetm

by nachetetm

kgt wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:02 am
Tests have proven that a well kept 10 year old helmet is no less safe that a 10 days one.
https://helmets.org/replace.htm
And according to Snell MIPS does not add anything in practice:
https://helmets.org/mips.htm
It is a big discussion, I know...
I think that the main reason to replace a helmet every 5-6 years is technological advances. Still, a well-used helmet will have been exposed to a lot of sweat, UV light and small impacts, no matter how well preserved it is. Regarding the MIPS contradiction, without more info I tend to believe the University research. Doesn't need to be the case but there is a chance they have better knowledge/resources to carry on with the testing, and tbh, adding MIPS to a helmet is actually quite cheap.

Stoffa

by Stoffa

Have to say I like to fool myself. I love paying a truckload for a Giro Aether or a Kask Protone. That feeling when the mailman comes and delivers your top of the range item is just amazing, even when I know full well they cost like 10 quid to make.

Jugi

by Jugi

I have always thought the basic idea of MIPS doesn’t take account of user’s scalp. A human head is not like a test dummy’s head, as an actual skull is covered by skin (which has quite a lot of give into all directions) and a variable amount of hair. On top of that, helmet’s attachment system is first and foremost designed to give a snug yet comfortable fit, and secondly inherently weak to act as a ”fuse” when rotational impacts happen.

That’s what happened to me when I crashed hard once - the attachment system ripped out of my non-MIPS helmet on the impact’s side and the helmet cracked, but it didn’t come off my head as the straps were still attached to the helmet and wrapped around my head. No head or neck pain what so ever from that single incident.

However, in my opinion MIPS may be a valuable addition to a full face MTB helmet, as a full face helmet is usually quite a lot tighter around user’s head than a typical open cycling helmet.

AJS914

by AJS914

UV will take decades or even hundreds of years to break down plastic and styrofoam. Helmet technology has hardly changed in decades. My current Giro is hardly any different than the one I had 20 years ago. Sweat doesn't break down plastics either. The worst thing is that the pads may need to be replaced.

F45

by F45

wheelsONfire wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:04 am
It's more or less vanity. Most people buy the looks just same as with bikes and clothes.

Saying a bike helmet last for ever or long long time is so wrong!!!
Let's go to something that we don't wish to hear. The material ages and become more porous.
No, this is the expanded styrene that is floating in the oceans for decades and killing marine life. It's the perfect helmet material.

"Sweat (body fluids), UV are two bandits!"

Head/helmet liner so no fluids; UV is blocked by the black paint.

I bought a Giro road helmet in 1998 and used it until 2014. I still have it as a backup. It looks like the day I bought it.

robertbb

by robertbb

Just bought my g/f a helmet (she's tiny and has a matching small head). Went with a Specialized youth helmet - all the adult ones were too big.

The non-MIPS helmet fit her better than the MIPS helmet, which moved all over the place and in my view (and others') this movement would actually offer poorer protection in certain crash circumstances.

As we were paying, the rep at the Spesh store told me the foam materials used in the youth helmet are identical to those used in the most expensive ones.

$60 purchase that fits her better, and therefore protects her better than a $350 option...

TonyM

by TonyM

robertbb wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:06 am
Just bought my g/f a helmet (she's tiny and has a matching small head). Went with a Specialized youth helmet - all the adult ones were too big.

The non-MIPS helmet fit her better than the MIPS helmet, which moved all over the place and in my view (and others') this movement would actually offer poorer protection in certain crash circumstances.

As we were paying, the rep at the Spesh store told me the foam materials used in the youth helmet are identical to those used in the most expensive ones.

$60 purchase that fits her better, and therefore protects her better than a $350 option...
The point of the MIPS was to help the head rotate slightly on impacts. At least in some types of impacts.
But if the helmet doesn't fit the head properly, then you have to switch to a different size, model or brand of course.

BTW use the same argument "same material" for her designer shoes and purses when she wants new ones (joke)....LOL :mrgreen:

by Weenie