Why spend so much on a helmet?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kgt

by kgt

+1
Hair is the best MIPS and it works in all directions.

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

Have any of you removed MIPS from a helmet? There's one I really want (Fox Proframe) but it's only available with MIPS. I haven't liked the MIPS I've tried on.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lewn777

by Lewn777

Cheaper helmets are just as safe as expensive helmets. They all have to pass the same safety standards in order to be sold. Although MIPS and other technology can enhance safety, but you have to weigh those safety advantages up with reduced ventilation and extra weight.
More expensive helmets are lighter, look better, can be more aero and better ventilated. Whether that's worth it to you is your own concern. Personally I find my Prevail 2 a joy compared to my Giro Foray, so the extra money is worth it, especially in tbhe summer when I climb mountains in hot weather and do twisty descents.

Some people think helmets are never needed. In my experience they are a life saver as they have saved me. I did 20 years of motorcycling and 10 years enduro MTB without even a helmet dink, then in the last five years had my head saved twice, god knows what would have happened if I hadn't been wearing one. Seems like punctures, you don't get one for ages then you get two or three in a week.

AnkitS

by AnkitS

Lelandjt wrote:Have any of you removed MIPS from a helmet? There's one I really want (Fox Proframe) but it's only available with MIPS. I haven't liked the MIPS I've tried on.
I doubt the retention system would work correctly after you remove the liner.

Kumppa

by Kumppa

For mtb use MIPS is really helpful becouse of better protection of back of the head which makes helmet to fit better and have less rotation. Also extra weigt from MIPS isn't that disturbing when riding position is more upward.

Helmets are like clothing - you can easily buy those with big discount after season. Never paid more than 150€ for helmet and atm using Kask Protone. Wife needed new helmet and just bought Limar Air pro. Hopefully it will fit as 75€ price was really good (retail 250€).

Nautiboy

by Nautiboy

For me, is not about the price of helmet but the price of your head : )

Had 3 - 4 crashes on motorbikes (high speed) and roadie races before, and each time saved by a quality helmet. So my advice is as follows:

- Select any helmet that is Safety tested and validated by the proper Authority (TUV n etc)
- Trial fit it on your head without any hot spot, as any impact, that spot on your head will likely be 1st to crack. So, an all round comfort fit is important....
- Think about how much your head is worth, and then go ahead and buy!!!

Cheers

PrimO

by PrimO

I have 4 helmets and all were bought because of how they look and not their aero, ventilation or weight qualities. I will pay a reasonable amount for a nice looking helmet but i wouldnt fork out more than €200 for one. 2 of my helmets were approx €150, another was €90 and the last one was around €40.

froze

by froze

Higher cost doesn't mean their better helmets, they may have a few more features, better coloring, better ventilation, less weight, but not necessarily better in terms of crash protection.

Virginia Tech is now the leader in testing bicycle helmets, see this: https://www.helmet.beam.vt.edu/bicycle- ... tings.html

After I read that site I bought the Specialized Chamonix MIPS helmet, it was the lowest costing one that got a 5 star review that I could go to a local bike shop and try it on to make sure it would fit. I would suggest a person to choose a helmet from the top 5 star rated helmets, and then choose whatever features appeals to you the most from those.

nycebo

by nycebo

Fit, then weight, is the most important criteria when purchasing a helmet. I had quite wanted a Kask Protone, but it simply did not fit the shape of my head. It was ridiculously snug against my forehead and the back of my head. In contrast, almost all of the POC helmets fit to me a T. Accordingly, I picked up a POC at a very reasonable sale price and was comfortable and safe as a bug. Until...

I was riding a year ago on an October morning when it started to get cooler after long miles, went to zip up my jacket and got pushed off the bike backwards by a very heavy gust. Landed splat on the back of my head. Heard the helmet split perfectly but felt nothing. Job done well. As you can imagine, I immediately purchased the exact same helmet.

Good luck to all of you. Ride safe this holiday season. What we're really paying for with helmets is safety. Then again, we're all on this forum, so we prize weight, style and comfort too!

audioblazer

by audioblazer

Juanmoretime wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:38 am
What is your head worth? After being hit by a car almost two years ago and sustaining a serious brain injury, still have problems because of the accident today. I don't mind paying for a very high rated safe helmet and I replace them as I always have very other year. My head is worth more than the cost of any helmet.
Same thought . We are willing to spend USD300 on bibs or jersey but not on helmet 🤣🤣🤣

bilwit

by bilwit

because the ones that look cool tend to be expensive

alistaird

by alistaird

Made to measure - comfort and fit are perfect and because it fits well my belief is it will be safer in a crash. Interesting technology as well.

https://hexr.com

A

Etienne

by Etienne

audioblazer wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:56 am
Juanmoretime wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:38 am
What is your head worth? After being hit by a car almost two years ago and sustaining a serious brain injury, still have problems because of the accident today. I don't mind paying for a very high rated safe helmet and I replace them as I always have very other year. My head is worth more than the cost of any helmet.
Same thought . We are willing to spend USD300 on bibs or jersey but not on helmet 🤣🤣🤣
I've never been hit by a car/truck, been lucky probably ... but had my fair share of crashes, on road and off road, when I had a more agressive way of riding (I did calm down a bit with age, and my skills are better) ... my helmet save my head several times and paying for a quality helmet is not a question, it's a certainty :wink:

However, it's sometimes questionable to spend more than necessary, when affordable helmets are equivalent or even more efficient than high-end helmets ... but as it has been said, it is all about fit and it's far more difficult to find a helmet that fits than a bib :idea:

Last winter, I ended up buying a Spe Prevail II helmet, not cheap indeed and I am not a Spe afficionado, but after trying on a bunch of helmets, it was the better fit ... so I spent a handful of cash for confort, security being a pre-requisite.

Bibs and jerseys never protected me in crashes ... so I favor mid-tier apparel.

Dsamis

by Dsamis

Thanks for the advice

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tabl10s

by tabl10s

TimF wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:23 pm
Simple question really, as these can get crazy expensive. I'm assuming given most are a simple construction and even the cheapest will do a decent job of protecting you, that you don't need to spend too much. What are your thoughts?
One head. One life.
Last edited by tabl10s on Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
2015 Pinarello F8: 13.13lbs/5.915kg(w/Roval 64's). Sold.
2016 Rca: 11.07lbs/5.048kg.
2015 Rca. 11.15 lbs(w/Roval CLX 32's)
2015 Rca/NOS(sold).
2018 S-Works SL6 Ultralight 12.03lbs(w/Roval CLX 50's)