Why spend so much on a helmet?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TimF

by TimF

Simple question really, as these can get crazy expensive. I'm assuming given most are a simple construction and even the cheapest will do a decent job of protecting you, that you don't need to spend too much. What are your thoughts?

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Kask, which is a stone away from me, will charge more than 3 times as much for a high end cycling helmet than for their top safety helmet.

Quite sure cost, including R&D is not 3 times as much

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ichobi

by ichobi

So long as there are stuff to buy people will buy stuff. What are the difference between 40usd jeans and 400 USD jeans? If you are going to take the utility arguement then all things in life aren't worth paying more. Jeans are only there to conceal your skin. Any cheaply made jeans will do right? A 500 USD bike will get you to the destination just the same as 5000 USD bike.

Fashion, brand, marketing, preference. Nothing wrong with any of these. If you have the means and it make you happy then why not?

Heck you are on weightweenies where people don't mind riding on and paying more for ultralight and not so comfortable saddle just because it is lighter.

AJS914

by AJS914

A $5000 bike should perform a bit better than a $500 bike. A $300 helmet will perform about the same as a $125 helmet or a $40 helmet. The more expensive one might be few grams lighter or it might be 5 watts more aero.

Personally, I usually buy the helmet one notch down from the top of the line or I buy last years top of the line helmet on super sale. I will never spend $300 on a helmet in the same way that I'll never spend $300 on bib shorts.

kdawg

by kdawg

It’s a simple question with a simple answer too - like you said the more expensive helmets will have some better features - might be lighter, better ventilation, more aero, look better...

What you’re doing makes a difference to whether those features are worth it - if you’re racing aero might be worth it, if you’re doing long rides ventilation is a bigger deal...

There’s clearly a minimum standard for safety and that’s not really what you’re paying for (although sometimes with things like MIPS you do pay more) - the more expensive ones just generally meet that standard but do it with more expensive materials that have some other advantage like being lighter. In the case of my BMX helmet I’m pretty sure that it would give me better protection than my road helmet - and while it would work for my commute it would be pretty warm on a decent ride.

I’m totally with you though that, like most things, the level just below the top is the sweet spot for value - I’ve done that with my helmet and my best bike has Ultegra on it.

But if you’ve got the money and want the absolute best then feel free to buy the top of the range one.
I'm left handed, if that matters.

ichobi

by ichobi

AJS914 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:52 pm
.....grams lighter or it might be 5 watts more aero.
That 5 watts saved, and may be that limited color could be an insta buy for someone who think it's totally worth their money.
Of course, some goods are positioned in such way that could be agreed upon by many people that has better inherent value than the next best thing. (Ultegra, just like you said). For a product that you can't really test its supposed primary function like helmet, it's better to go with whatever float your preference and budget, so long as it's within safety standard. Personally I found many brands make some REALLY good and affordable helmet. Also helmet has shelf life. The foam will degrade after prolonged use in the sun, moisture and heat, so you have to replace them even if you have never crashed.

3Pio

by 3Pio

TimF wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:23 pm
Simple question really, as these can get crazy expensive. I'm assuming given most are a simple construction and even the cheapest will do a decent job of protecting you, that you don't need to spend too much. What are your thoughts?
Helmet is very personal thing. I would never spend 300 USD for helmet, but it's improtant to fit me well so again wont buy cheapest just to safe if dont fit me well.. My favourite helmet (i crashed one allready, saved my heads so i bought exactly the same) is Giro Synthe.

Why i like it?

- I dont feel it when is on my head, lightweight, and fit my head shape perfectly

- Doing plenty of climbs, so this helmet have great ventilation

- No noise from wind so can hear cars behind (this was a problem with other helmet i have Specialized Propero II)

- Nice place to store my glassess (sometimes want to remove then on climbing

Probably there is better helmets, but this one match perfectly all my needs, so if i need to buy it now, probably will buy it again especially that now u can find it on discount cheap....

TonyM

by TonyM

If there is one thing I don’t really look at the price this is a helmet.
I don’t like helmets but I wear them because of my safety and the legislation. I take the one that I like for its color and shape, that fits my head, that is light and that is good in terms of safety. And I buy a new one every 2 years I would say. I have currently 5 Giro helmets (ranging from 6 to 1 y.o.). Expensive? Well less expensive than to have several bikes...LOL...

PokojniToza

by PokojniToza

Mostly because with the cheapest ones I turn into a mushroom from Super Mario.

exctasy

by exctasy

im sure companies have done their necessary research and tests for tech like mips, spin.
It's technology which no one wants to be a test dummy do..
recently my tyres slipped on a 50km/h descend and my head hit the tarmac twice and i didnt lose any consciousness.
was wearing my poc octal mips on that day..the helmet was smashed, thank goodness my head was ok..unfortunately tore my deltoid.
i wouldnt hesitate to spend $$ for helmets.

naylor343

by naylor343

I had the original Specialized Evade, it was superb and cost me around £150 at the time. I now have the Planet X Carnac Notus helmet. It is an almost direct copy of the original Evade, has all the same safety certificates, fits the same, and cost me £22. They were good enough to be used by the UK Holdsworth pro team and French team Delko-Marseille Provence. Currently available for £13 from Planet X

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/HECANOTEV ... oad-helmet

Nejmann

by Nejmann

i’ll buy the helmet where i look as little as a retard as possible(and is comfy), don’t care about the price really. I think the amount of money we/i use on bikes, the helmets is fairly priced.

TimF

by TimF

naylor343 wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:00 am
I had the original Specialized Evade, it was superb and cost me around £150 at the time. I now have the Planet X Carnac Notus helmet. It is an almost direct copy of the original Evade, has all the same safety certificates, fits the same, and cost me £22. They were good enough to be used by the UK Holdsworth pro team and French team Delko-Marseille Provence. Currently available for £13 from Planet X

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/HECANOTEV ... oad-helmet
Thanks for this. It's kind of my point, given the compexlity of building a helmet!

onemanpeloton

by onemanpeloton

It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay. Some people may more simply for a limited edition colour.

Also, the focus of the buyer is no longer just on safety, but on weight, aerodynamics and even small features like magnetic closures.

I'd be curious how much people who say "how much is your head worth" are paying for their helmets. Anything over £100/$130 and I'd argue that they're no longer paying for safety
2020 Trek Boone
2017 Merida Reacto
2017 Trek Superfly AL

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgt

by kgt

There is absolutely not need to pay 300€ for a helmet but 80-120€ is ok.
A good helmet should protect (of course), be relatively light, have enough ventilation and fit perfectly. Like shoes a helmet without a perfect fit does not worth it IMO. In my case LAS helmets fit me like no other helmets. I live their magnetic closure too. I also like Lazer helmets a lot.