What’s your favorite saddle?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
addictR1

by addictR1

spdntrxi wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:36 am
addictR1 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:55 pm
What about Dash Cycle strike saddle? Anyone tried that before? If so how was it?

I do long rides like 50-100milers so looking at alternatives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have the TTsaddle... pretty much looks like the same saddle to me online anyways... generally I dont do anything long with it since it's on my TT bike... so 2 hours max. It's pretty comfy but I kinda doubt it's a 4-5hr kind of saddle.
yea i'm kinda tempted to give their demo program a try... but if it don't fit.. that's $50 down the drain. but if it fits well, then i may just swing for the fences and get the seat+seatpost combo and drop some more weight on my TMR02.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I wasn't a fan of the Dash Strike. It's pretty much the opposite of a cradle...it's convex or has a crown. I know some people who swear by it, but yeah, it felt like I was sitting on a hatchet. I do get along well with the ISM PN3.0, PN1.0 and various Selle SMP saddles though.

by Weenie

bruno2000

by bruno2000

I'm a fan...or at least my behind is of the Selle Italia SLR flow kit carbonio and the Sworks Toupé carbon 143mm.

leandrofresh

by leandrofresh

Schadenfreude wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:17 am
leandrofresh wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:33 pm
Then if you feel like you falling to the other side might be leg discrepancy related. Might be an actual longer femur or shin or just hip muscles are shortened on one side, left leg might be longer. Then the pain if the left side must be because an excesse of pressure in the left bone since it is doing most of the work to support you. Our brain gets used to the sensation to be listed to one side without even noticing, so Its very usual to feel like falling to the other side now, but you must be sitting square for the first time (maybe ever). The sensation will wear off in time. I might be able to help if a friend can record you sitting and pedalling on the trainer from behind. You sit in the two positions and record both. So I can (and you too) check if you are sitting square.
It's likely I have a leg length discrepancy. I only found that out a few weeks ago during an appointment with my podiatrist. I have a correction (4mm I think) on the heal of my right orthotic (bunions + flat feet = blecch) to compensate. I hadn't made a connection between that and my position on the saddle. I have some cleat wedges that I could use to create a shim on my right shoe - I'll give it a go. After you mentioned it, I took a lot at a bike fit report from a year ago which included a saddle pressure analysis - it mentioned a list to the right. I thought I had dealt with that a while ago, but looks as though I haven't.

Thanks for your help, things seem to be falling into place now. I'll see if I can take some video soon and I'll PM you - thanks for your offer to help.
I love my job and love to help, specially when you are far away and you can't come to see me at my lab haha. Then there you have the diagnosis. You can't get rid of that, it will always be there. You have to deal with it in some way or another, but you need to know if it's a structural issue, or if it's a functional (muscular issue). If it's functional you can treat it with physioteraphy/ostheopathy. If it's structural you need to use shims. Also, wide saddles help, short handlebar/stem reach (the longer the handlebar distance, less stability on the saddle). The only way you can prevent it to happen again is to have everything perfectly adjusted and in the right place. Every time you change shoes/saddle/stems your fit should get a new fit.

Will gladly help you if you PM me the video ;).

Schadenfreude

by Schadenfreude

leandrofresh wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:00 pm
I love my job and love to help, specially when you are far away and you can't come to see me at my lab haha. Then there you have the diagnosis. You can't get rid of that, it will always be there. You have to deal with it in some way or another, but you need to know if it's a structural issue, or if it's a functional (muscular issue). If it's functional you can treat it with physioteraphy/ostheopathy. If it's structural you need to use shims. Also, wide saddles help, short handlebar/stem reach (the longer the handlebar distance, less stability on the saddle). The only way you can prevent it to happen again is to have everything perfectly adjusted and in the right place. Every time you change shoes/saddle/stems your fit should get a new fit.

Will gladly help you if you PM me the video ;).
Thank you again. I'll PM you so as to not take this OT.

Edit: It seems that I have not made enough posts for me to be allowed to send a PM :/

CEVelo

by CEVelo

Used to ride Selle SLR flow for a long time, but swapped to SWorks Power ~18 months ago - best saddle ever for me!
(also rode the Fizik Airione, Selle Dynamic and SWorks Romin quite a bit, neither as comfortale as the SWorks Power)

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Schadenfreude wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 2:13 am
I thought I would give an update on the SQ Lab Ergowave 612, in case anyone has thought about trying it. I had chosen the 12cm Active version based on my sit bone width (~10cm) and the fitting guide on their website. However, I was getting some pressure on my left pubic ramus (I think around there), so I emailed SQ Labs for some advice. They forwarded my enquiry to the Australia Distributor, who then emailed me. The person I dealt with there was really cluey about the saddle and asked me a bit about the way I ride, etc. He then asked if my saddle was roughly at the same height as the tops of my bars, which was right (I don't have an aggresive position), so immediately he said I would need a wider version. So they asked me to send back the 12cm, and they sent out the 13cm version at no charge.

Anyways, if anyone was considering trying the Ergowave, perhaps it's best to contact the distributor for your country (available on their website) to get some advice on fitting and whether or not they would replace the saddle if it turned out to be the wrong width.
I have warned on numerous occasions that the fitting guide for SQ Lab Ergowave rarely applies accurately. It almost always comes up too narrow. I go up two sizes from the measure system recommendation. Also just as important, depending on how you sit and how your nether regions are constructed, the tilt, saddle height, and fore and aft location can be very hard to get right. In my case if the saddle tilt is off by as little as one tenth of one degree I will feel it. If it is off by a half of a degree I will be uncomfortable, and after some hours, in pain. Careful and thoughtful adjustment and experimentation is required. But when you get it right it is magic.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Schadenfreude

by Schadenfreude

Mr.Gib wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:46 pm
Schadenfreude wrote:
I thought I would give an update on the SQ Lab Ergowave 612, in case anyone has thought about trying it. I had chosen the 12cm Active version based on my sit bone width (~10cm) and the fitting guide on their website. However, I was getting some pressure on my left pubic ramus (I think around there), so I emailed SQ Labs for some advice. They forwarded my enquiry to the Australia Distributor, who then emailed me. The person I dealt with there was really cluey about the saddle and asked me a bit about the way I ride, etc. He then asked if my saddle was roughly at the same height as the tops of my bars, which was right (I don't have an aggresive position), so immediately he said I would need a wider version. So they asked me to send back the 12cm, and they sent out the 13cm version at no charge.

Anyways, if anyone was considering trying the Ergowave, perhaps it's best to contact the distributor for your country (available on their website) to get some advice on fitting and whether or not they would replace the saddle if it turned out to be the wrong width.
I have warned on numerous occasions that the fitting guide for SQ Lab Ergowave rarely applies accurately. It almost always comes up too narrow. I go up two sizes from the measure system recommendation. Also just as important, depending on how you sit and how your nether regions are constructed, the tilt, saddle height, and fore and aft location can be very hard to get right. In my case if the saddle tilt is off by as little as one tenth of one degree I will feel it. If it is off by a half of a degree I will be uncomfortable, and after some hours, in pain. Careful and thoughtful adjustment and experimentation is required. But when you get it right it is magic.
Yes, I know you warned, but it's also hard to tell from their sizing guide. SQ Lab should probably provide the information that the distributor mentioned to me to come up with a better sizing guide. I'm giving it 2-3 more rides then will ask about trying the 14cm version.

alanyu

by alanyu

Brooks B67 on my previous touring bike. I keep it till now although the bike has been sold.

coresare

by coresare

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:59 am
I wasn't a fan of the Dash Strike. It's pretty much the opposite of a cradle...it's convex or has a crown. I know some people who swear by it, but yeah, it felt like I was sitting on a hatchet. I do get along well with the ISM PN3.0, PN1.0 and various Selle SMP saddles though.
Felt the same way. It's like you are balancing on a a ball.

Stendhal

by Stendhal

coresare wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:11 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
That must explain the poster on the “weight weenie choice you regret?’ thread who replaced his saddle with a tennis ball. :)
Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL6 (6.39 kg), Cervelo Aspero (7.87)
Retired: LOW// mki, Pinarello Dogma F10 \ F8, Lapierre Pulsium, TIME Fluidity, Wilier Cento1 SR, Ridley Noah, Cyfac Cadence, Cervelo S2, R3, R5, Felt Z25, Klein Quantum, Cannondale 2.0

addictR1

by addictR1

coresare wrote:
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sounds painful

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Just purchased the SMP Composit saddle with carbon rails in black which actually has real leather covering. Apparantly the coloured covers are a synthetic. One thing I noticed when clamping the saddle rails is they did not get squeezed into the mount grooves like the full carbon SMP saddle that I had originally on my main road bike. The Composit with carbon rails came in on the scales at 174gr. I also have the Composit with Ti rails and at least the two Composits feel very close in shape compared to the full carbon which does not. One of the other things I noticed and its likely my misaligned hips is that I was getting more pressure on one side of the sit bone than the other. I thought maybe it was the saddle but the Compostis sit fairly level when you put a level across the seat perpendicular. I shimmed up the opposite side to compensate for my hips and it seems to be keeping the sit bones happy. I do think the carbon rails dampen the ride more than the Ti.
"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving"-Albert Einstein
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2012 Time RXRS Ulteam Rim Brake
2008 Time VXR Rim Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I wish there were a synthetic black option for the SMP saddles...the leather cover isn’t as durable as the microtex.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Schadenfreude wrote:
I thought I would give an update on the SQ Lab Ergowave 612, in case anyone has thought about trying it. I had chosen the 12cm Active version based on my sit bone width (~10cm) and the fitting guide on their website. However, I was getting some pressure on my left pubic ramus (I think around there), so I emailed SQ Labs for some advice. They forwarded my enquiry to the Australia Distributor, who then emailed me. The person I dealt with there was really cluey about the saddle and asked me a bit about the way I ride, etc. He then asked if my saddle was roughly at the same height as the tops of my bars, which was right (I don't have an aggresive position), so immediately he said I would need a wider version. So they asked me to send back the 12cm, and they sent out the 13cm version at no charge. After a 30km ride this morning, I can say there's no pain in the same area. It was a little hard on my left sit bone after a while, but I'll try it with different bibs and work out the best sitting spot and position of the saddle. It's really hard to work this out as it feels a little different to sitting on other saddles. However, I felt absolutely no pressure on the soft tissue or the boys, which has plagued me on pretty much all of the saddles I've tried (at least 8 now), and cutouts seem to cause me different issues. Also, with the elastomer, their instructions say to select the firmness based on your weight. I was between the soft and medium firmness elastomers, so the distributor suggested trying the soft one first, which seems to have worked out fine this morning

I have one and i don't like it at all. However, i like One12 bib shorts. My present favorite saddles are Selle San Marco Mantra (carbon) FX and ISM PN 3.0
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2018.12.21)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=156137
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D

by Weenie