What’s your favorite saddle?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sfo423

by sfo423

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:55 am
Just guessing, but his method was likely going to a fitter who then measured with a goniometer.
speedman wrote:
Can you explain me your method to mesure your flexion ?
Went to a fitter last year and that was one of many variables. I believe +55 to +65 is the range of 'normality.'

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Speedman wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:34 am
sfo423 wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:46 pm
I have a lot of drop as you do (~10cm). Did you run your Arione flat or nose tilted down?

My max hip flexion is pretty good; recently measured at 62d and a trunk tilt at 43d. Sounds like from a textbook perspective a Dimension may be a good candidate.
I would like to know this to
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Speedman

by Speedman

sfo423 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:57 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Just guessing, but his method was likely going to a fitter who then measured with a goniometer.
speedman wrote:
Went to a fitter last year and that was one of many variables. I believe +55 to +65 is the range of 'normality.'
Do you know if the famous fitters (like Bikefitting, Retul, Gebiomized...) can make this kind of mesurement ?
I have already try the Shimano bikefitting system and the checking of the flexion was not in the variables system. But It interested me particularly because I make an hard work with a physiotherapist to improve my flexion.

sfo423

by sfo423

I used an old school fitter that also uses the new age tools to dial in fit. I think he uses BikeFit. They attach reflective stickers to certain body parts and measure using strobes & software or something.

I would not use a fitter than soley relies on tech to fit. Get someone that knows how to fit.
Speedman wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:20 pm

Do you know if the famous fitters (like Bikefitting, Retul, Gebiomized...) can make this kind of mesurement ?
I have already try the Shimano bikefitting system and the checking of the flexion was not in the variables system. But It interested me particularly because I make an hard work with a physiotherapist to improve my flexion.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I have SMP saddles on two road bikes, one is the Composit and the other is the Full Carbon and even though they are from the same family they do differ somewhat in the position that you sit. Out of laziness I made the mistake of assuming the seatnose behind the BB would put you close to the same position from one to the other. Today I actually took the time to measure out with plumb bob, short level attached to my shoe and marking the cranks for horizontal position visible from the sitting position. I am trying to duplicate my position from an older Time to my new Colnago and discovered that even though the two seats are a bit different the graduations on the seat rail from the Composit to the Full Carbon will put you in the same seating position (knee over pedal) but the nose will Not be at the same distance behind the BB.
The reason I am going through all this is because I have been getting some pain at the base of my neck and I know its from my seat position, but because I had originally measured out from seatnose behind BB it put my sitting position further behind the BB with the Composit than the Full Carbon.
Lesson learned, dont be lazy like me.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

IMG_20191030_1200476.jpg
IMG_20191030_1200346.jpg
IMG_20191030_1223476.jpg
So I was getting tired of waxing my black leather SMP Composit and decided to remove the cover after I checked out the website which shows the seat shell as being black. I grabbed a small box cutter knife and sliced a small incision along the back side of the shell to get a look at the colour of my shell and sure enough its not black but dark brown. I decided I could live with that and proceeded to remove it anyway. I got out for a hour and a half ride to see how different it would be and was happy with the outcome. I can easily get in and out of the saddle without shorts hanging up and when I sit down there is no distortion of my shorts if I dont hit the saddle square. Its a nice friction free surface just like the Full Carbon but a nicer shell design as far as I am concerned. Maybe now my shorts will last longer as no more accelerated wearing around the thigh area. No regrets well maybe not the most desirable colour but I am good with it.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

InDustWeTrust

by InDustWeTrust

Fizik Antares, or Fizik Aliante. Flite titanium leather for commuter or mtb or if you want a saddle that lasts.

TheRich

by TheRich

InDustWeTrust wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:14 pm
Flite titanium leather for commuter or mtb or if you want a saddle that lasts.
I put an old (probably 15 years old) but lightly used Flite on my road/gravel bike and it was every bit as great as I remembered it.

Truly legendary saddle.

hanakuso1

by hanakuso1

I've recently bought a Brooks C17 Carved. It's only 4mm wider compared to my previous C13 Carved in 158mm, but the frame is slightly different. It fits me better and I think i'll keep this on my bike for now.

But it weighs 446 grams.....

Slightly related but the C13 Carved in 132mm is on sale for $94. Basically the price of the steel rail version but it's carbon fiber. Seems like a great deal if you want a narrow saddle.

https://www.amazon.com/Brooks-England-C ... 221&sr=8-1

MiddMan

by MiddMan

Alas, I'm still searching. I'd really like to try SMP but I do prefer to be able to move fore and aft, so I'm thinking of trying Selle Italia kit carbino superflow instead. Just not sure if I'll chose S or L... I do believe I'm in the category who needs a cutout. I rode 40km on my Prologo Scratch yesterday (no cutout), and just find there's too much pressure on the perineum. Especially because I have a lot of saddle to bar drop. The more I'm in a more aggressive position, cutout just seems a necessity for me.

As for sit bone width, I wonder if this changes somewhat with age like hips:https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf ... /jor.21469

I used to be fine in narrow 130mm saddles 15 years ago. My Specialized Toupe used to be the go to saddle for me. But now I find it too flexy, and some pressure points too. Although I can't say for sure, I have a strong hunch I'm more suited to 140-145 range now, even despite my big saddle to bar drop.

tigradekat

by tigradekat

Went through a couple of saddles to try for my pending bike build, and landed with the Fizik Vento Argo R1 in 150mm. This one feels really good to me. Just the right amount of flex and padding, while the shape is spot on for me as well.

Previous saddles I liked: The original Fizik Aliante, good flexibility, which I like in a saddle, but too soft for longer rides. Original Pro Turnix in 143mm. Great combination of flex and little padding, but I did not like their version with a relief channel.

slovenianbp

by slovenianbp

Padded Berk Lupina for me. Did 220km solo ride recently, no signs of soreness as I had with old Oval concepts saddle.

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

Astute Sky<Carb/Lite/Line> model for me. They went out of business though. :(

I'm getting this itchy urgency to stock up. I don't want to go back to the drawing board for a saddle that works. It took too long the first time....

robeambro

by robeambro

Resurrecting this.

After trying both the Power and the Aeolus, I came to terms with the fact that such saddle type does not work for me. I have a high saddle to bar drop (9cm or more I think, just changed bike and haven't measured accurately yet); I hovever do not always ride in an aggressive position as there's plenty of rolling terrain where I stand a bit more. Saddles such as the Power feel very hard on my sit bones (which are narrow and very exposed as I have a very skinny bum), though I enjoy the possibility to easily roll my pelvis on them.

Conversely, I tried a basic Fabric saddle with no cutout and I get a good general feeling when slightly more upright (and in general it doesn't feel harsh on my sitbones), but I don't quite feel comfy when getting more aggressive (think sphinx or drops).

Is there any saddle that strikes a successful compromise?

jt1

by jt1

My current, and perhaps all-time fave is the Selle Italia Boost Endurance Superflow. As best I can figure, "superflow" means large cutout, "boost," ironically, means shortened nose. I'm a small guy and am using the small (130 mm) version. I've a bike shed full of saddles. This may well be the best for me that I've ridden.

For context, I'm 65 years old, ride between 100 and 200 miles weekly. Given my age and slowly tightening joints, I now ride a new Cannondale Synapse (yeah, I know, not Weight Weenie approved, but I love it), which is among the endurance bikes with the raciest geometry.

Anyway, interesting riding for me these days! Yesterday's ride:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com