What’s your favorite saddle?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

brusselsprouts

by brusselsprouts

Have a Prologo Dimension Nack carbon in 145mm on my CAAD12 which has been my favorite saddle so far. Over the last week I have been commuting with no bibs to no I'll effect. I can't say the same for the fizik antares

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

leandrofresh

by leandrofresh

JHY wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 6:04 pm
leandrofresh wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 10:02 pm
Kjetil wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 3:18 pm
Didn't you write .5, i.e. 0.5 degrees up, guyc?
oops, sorry. I'm Spanish and we don't express in the same way. Maybe he meant 0,5º and I thought he said 5º. My bad! 0,5º is not that bad, still 0º should work.
Leandrofresh, how do you approach saddle tilt on a waved saddle (Spec Power, Aliante, etc)
Those saddles need to be leveled on the nose of the saddle using the flat part on the aliante and using to thirds of the spec power pushing a bit on the part you sit.

leandrofresh

by leandrofresh

JHY wrote:
leandrofresh wrote:
Kjetil wrote:
oops, sorry. I'm Spanish and we don't express in the same way. Maybe he meant 0,5º and I thought he said 5º. My bad! 0,5º is not that bad, still 0º should work.
Leandrofresh, how do you approach saddle tilt on a waved saddle (Spec Power, Aliante, etc)
Those saddles need to be leveled on the nose of the saddle using the flat part on the aliante and using two thirds of the spec power pushing a bit on the part you sit.
Like this:

fattywilliams

by fattywilliams

leandrofresh wrote:
JHY wrote:
leandrofresh wrote:
Kjetil wrote:
Those saddles need to be leveled on the nose of the saddle using the flat part on the aliante and using two thirds of the spec power pushing a bit on the part you sit.
Like this:

Makes me laff how many people use a spirit level on saddle without checking the floor with the level not

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

zefs

by zefs

You can do it by eye too but doesn't matter as feel would be the best way to set saddles, because none of the tilt measurements account for rider weight and saddle rail position/flex when riding. These measurements are just the starting point.
2 degrees of tilt can make it feel like a different saddle :noidea:

Methodical

by Methodical

Right now, I am getting along quite well with the Fi'zi:k Antares R1.
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

'20 Emonda SLR (Rage Red) - 6.27kg (6.04kg;no pedals)
'12 Madone (Black) - 6.96kg (6.73kg;no pedals)
Fujee Espree (Maroon) - 11.02kg

leandrofresh

by leandrofresh

fattywilliams wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 1:42 pm
leandrofresh wrote:
JHY wrote:
leandrofresh wrote:

Like this:

Makes me laff how many people use a spirit level on saddle without checking the floor with the level not

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk
hehe.

Thats why I always use electronic level with previous floor calibration.

leandrofresh

by leandrofresh

zefs wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 2:06 pm
You can do it by eye too but doesn't matter as feel would be the best way to set saddles, because none of the tilt measurements account for rider weight and saddle rail position/flex when riding. These measurements are just the starting point.
what? Why are you saying tilt measurement doesnt account for rider weigh and saddle position flex? Of course it does. That's why you pay for a bike fit.

leandrofresh

by leandrofresh

zefs wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 2:06 pm
what? Why are you saying tilt measurement doesnt account for rider weigh and saddle position flex? Of course it does. That's why you pay for a bike fit.

We use levels because the eye sometimes betray you. So I wouldn't advise to level using just the eye.

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

sychen wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:15 am
Lewn777 wrote:People that really like Berk Lupina do you love or hate Fizik Arione and Antares?
I had both arione and antares tried really hard to like them. It's not that I dont like them..

Arione is too narrow, not enough support and hip rocking gave me issues. Numbness as well.

Tried antares.. Just didn't fit well for me.. Numbness even worse. Never tried the channeled version.

Moved back to specialized for a time.. Power saddle was great until I upped the mileage. Iratates the tendon at the base of my glutes/leg... Nothing could be done.

Berk lupina for me is similar to specialized romin and power (in the back) without the ridiculous wide nose or the platform that doesn't flex.

Lupina is supportive of the Sit bones and flexes through the shell/wings which keeps everything happy down there.

Is it THE best? Don't know.
I've tried alot.. Best so far... The sp-01 is pretty good so far.. The chassis feel different.. But flexes nicely.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I have the sworks power and noticed I get a pain in what I am thinking is the same location that you had issues with. I never really noticed it before and always thought my hamstrings were getting tired, but I don't think that's the case. After awhile it does get better though, but have contemplated looking at other options like maybe the Romin Evo.

zefs

by zefs

leandrofresh wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 6:16 pm
Yes it does, all I am saying is using a spirit level to set the angle is just a starting point, then it needs to be adjusted based on feel because of rider weight and saddle flex. Even each person's natural pelvic tilt matters, saddle to handlebar drop, flexibility etc.

Didn't say about bike fitting but for individuals setting the angle.
07stuntin6r wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 7:26 pm
I have the sworks power and noticed I get a pain in what I am thinking is the same location that you had issues with. I never really noticed it before and always thought my hamstrings were getting tired, but I don't think that's the case. After awhile it does get better though, but have contemplated looking at other options like maybe the Romin Evo.
I was also having the same issue with the Power when leveling the front and back of the saddle, but don't have the issue when leveling the nose which is what Specialized recommends for the Power saddle. But then I had to increase seat setback and reduce the saddle to handlebar drop to not slip forward, although that's different for everyone. This allowed me to relax on the saddle and have a stable pelvis since there is no pressure coming from the nose.

Don't forget that it's a wide saddle that you sit further forward on, I think it's normal to get hamstring pain if you sit further back on it.

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

zefs wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 7:28 pm
leandrofresh wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 6:16 pm
Yes it does, all I am saying is using a spirit level to set the angle is just a starting point, then it needs to be adjusted based on feel because of rider weight and saddle flex. Even each person's natural pelvic tilt matters, saddle to handlebar drop, flexibility etc.

Didn't say about bike fitting but for individuals setting the angle.
07stuntin6r wrote:
So you're saying I should tilt it down a little maybe it is tilted upward too much? I was going to look at that when I get it back from the shop cause I can see how a tilted up saddle can cause digging. After I start riding and get warmed up I think I relax and stop thinking that I need to be farther back on the saddle. I honestly have no pain in any other area and I have the least padded version and a fairly new rider as well.
I was also having the same issue with the Power when leveling the front and back of the saddle, but don't have the issue when leveling the nose which is what Specialized recommends for the Power saddle. But then I had to increase seat setback and reduce the saddle to handlebar drop to not slip forward, although that's different for everyone. This allowed me to relax on the saddle and have a stable pelvis since there is no pressure coming from the nose.

Don't forget that it's a wide saddle that you sit further forward on, I think it's normal to get hamstring pain if you sit further back on it.

zefs

by zefs

Yes, you could try that, when tilted down it might feel like you have lowered the saddle height so might need further adjustment.
It's a tricky saddle to set but if you adjust it correctly you notice no pressure from the nose.

If you can't get it right, try the Romin Evo as you mentioned which is narrower and the wings curve down which should allow for a more positive tilt without the hamstring issue.

Thing is if you need a positive tilt, you might be trying to fix slipping forward on the saddle and that could be a setup issue (saddle too high, high saddle to handlebar drop or weight balance distribution).

leandrofresh

by leandrofresh

07stuntin6r wrote:
sychen wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:15 am
Lewn777 wrote:People that really like Berk Lupina do you love or hate Fizik Arione and Antares?
I had both arione and antares tried really hard to like them. It's not that I dont like them..

Arione is too narrow, not enough support and hip rocking gave me issues. Numbness as well.

Tried antares.. Just didn't fit well for me.. Numbness even worse. Never tried the channeled version.

Moved back to specialized for a time.. Power saddle was great until I upped the mileage. Iratates the tendon at the base of my glutes/leg... Nothing could be done.

Berk lupina for me is similar to specialized romin and power (in the back) without the ridiculous wide nose or the platform that doesn't flex.

Lupina is supportive of the Sit bones and flexes through the shell/wings which keeps everything happy down there.

Is it THE best? Don't know.
I've tried alot.. Best so far... The sp-01 is pretty good so far.. The chassis feel different.. But flexes nicely.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Im not sure if you are describing the issue correctly but looks like you have the saddle a bit up on the nose or too high saddle height. Looks like you are pinching the origin of the hamstring with the ischial tuberosity. Either your pelvis is rolling a bit backwards because of the incorrect saddle tilt, or pressure is excessive because the saddle is to high, or both combined.

Try to point down the nose a bit, 1 or 2 degrees. If the problem persists, lower saddle height 3mm.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

addictR1

by addictR1

Schadenfreude wrote:I thought I would give an update on the SQ Lab Ergowave 612, in case anyone has thought about trying it. I had chosen the 12cm Active version based on my sit bone width (~10cm) and the fitting guide on their website. However, I was getting some pressure on my left pubic ramus (I think around there), so I emailed SQ Labs for some advice. They forwarded my enquiry to the Australia Distributor, who then emailed me. The person I dealt with there was really cluey about the saddle and asked me a bit about the way I ride, etc. He then asked if my saddle was roughly at the same height as the tops of my bars, which was right (I don't have an aggresive position), so immediately he said I would need a wider version. So they asked me to send back the 12cm, and they sent out the 13cm version at no charge. After a 30km ride this morning, I can say there's no pain in the same area. It was a little hard on my left sit bone after a while, but I'll try it with different bibs and work out the best sitting spot and position of the saddle. It's really hard to work this out as it feels a little different to sitting on other saddles. However, I felt absolutely no pressure on the soft tissue or the boys, which has plagued me on pretty much all of the saddles I've tried (at least 8 now), and cutouts seem to cause me different issues. Also, with the elastomer, their instructions say to select the firmness based on your weight. I was between the soft and medium firmness elastomers, so the distributor suggested trying the soft one first, which seems to have worked out fine this morning

Anyways, if anyone was considering trying the Ergowave, perhaps it's best to contact the distributor for your country (available on their website) to get some advice on fitting and whether or not they would replace the saddle if it turned out to be the wrong width.

Thanks for the review in the 612. I’ve been eyeing that for awhile. What’s yours weighed in at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk