What’s your favorite saddle?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

3Pio

by 3Pio

wheelsONfire wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:37 am
Ringo wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:58 pm
IMHO I think that the belief of moving back and forth on a flat saddle is wrong.
I’m afraid that this could cause power loss due to bad posture when pedaling from random position instead of the right one.
For example going way front or way back on the saddle could ruin the results of a bike fit.
I think that the saddle position should be “locked” (something like cylinders with the crankshaft of the car engine)
Partly why i'm not sure i'd like a bike fit.
There are reasons why you want to move around.
Maybe some don't think of it, but how you feel and how your body is, could differ from day to day.
You wouldn't be dead static in normal life, so why should you be it on a bike.
I can say right away, i could never be that. The absolutely largest issue i have, is how i am forced to sit.

Most of the ride im sitting in same position, but there is parts where i want a freedomt to be able able to move, especially when there is long rides (like the ride i had in Saturday , 200km and 1900m climb), and when there is changing terrain... So dont like saddles that dont let me freedom of movement, and moving on saddle on the ride dont consider as ruining of bike fit....

So i agree that is the issue when im forced how to sit...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

guyc

by guyc

Not liking how you’re forced to sit currently sounds exactly why you’d want an objective fit.

Ringo

by Ringo

wheelsONfire wrote:
Ringo wrote:
IMHO I think that the belief of moving back and forth on a flat saddle is wrong.
I’m afraid that this could cause power loss due to bad posture when pedaling from random position instead of the right one.
For example going way front or way back on the saddle could ruin the results of a bike fit.
I think that the saddle position should be “locked” (something like cylinders with the crankshaft of the car engine)
Maybe some don't think of it, but how you feel and how your body is, could differ from day to day.
I can say right away, i could never be that. The absolutely largest issue i have, is how i am forced to sit.
So if you are going to do deadlifts (or lifting weights generally), your technique could change day by day?
Or let’s say when you run, sometimes you strike with your heels and not with your forefoot?
Losing your form leads to injuries and I believe this applies to saddle position.
XXTi
C60

KarlC

by KarlC

hkgmatt wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:40 pm
Berk Lupina padded (oval rails) and Brooks Cambium C13.

The Berk is stunningly comfortable for such a minimalist saddle.
Yes Berk Lupina is by far the best for me

C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

Ringo

by Ringo

3Pio wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:49 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:
Ringo wrote:

Most of the ride im sitting in same position, but there is parts where i want a freedomt to be able able to move, especially when there is long rides (like the ride i had in Saturday , 200km and 1900m climb), and when there is changing terrain... So dont like saddles that dont let me freedom of movement, and moving on saddle on the ride dont consider as ruining of bike fit....

So i agree that is the issue when im forced how to sit...
Ok here’s my argument:
So you don’t agree with clipless pedals also? They are too restrictive, aren’t they?
What about bucket seats on cars, lifting weights etc? The locked position there is mandatory.
I believe the correct technique is something that makes an athlete able to use his power to the max.
If my ass is tired throughout a 5 hour ride, it’s because it isn’t used to long rides and needs more training.
In a long ride that my ass is starting to feel pain, even if I constantly change my position, searching for a square inch that isn’t in pain I cannot fix the problem. The damage is done and till the ride ends I will be distracted by that.
But in most cases, it’s not the saddle it’s my untrained ass.
IMHO the saddle should lock you and this isn’t something that is wrong.
XXTi
C60

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

A bike fit might tell you why you prefer to slide around. I think a bike fitter would probably be able to make most saddle work for you with position tweaks as well.

Just my opinion but I think there is a best form or best technique for each individual in whatever sport one might do, and a bike fitter can help someone discover that.

Coming from a Specialized Toupe, I tried my friend's Lupina but it felt a little narrow. I took a gamble on the more expensive Lukna just on looks alone and it works perfectly. My bike fitter says that it's a good saddle because it offers a broad area of support both at the rear and the mid-front portion.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Ringo wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:16 pm

So if you are going to do deadlifts (or lifting weights generally), your technique could change day by day?
Or let’s say when you run, sometimes you strike with your heels and not with your forefoot?
Losing your form leads to injuries and I believe this applies to saddle position.
Do you run the same way up hill vs flat?
Or even the same way on treadmill vs real road?

Do you notice that different bib short have different thickness?
And also, leg muscle are shortening thoughout the day? People are tallest in the morning and gradually shorter til night.
Legs muscle shorten with repeated load. People can feel their saddle to be a bit high after a hard ride compare to when they start.
Bib short compress with distance. Foot swollen bigger, bum get thinner as you lose water.
And yet, one must maintain exact position throughout the ride... :noidea:

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I have been riding motorcycles and i clearly noted that i moved around on the saddle.
I work at a factory, been doing that 20 years now. I have been around alot and i have been going to rehabs and more or less being forced to oversee what i do.
Let's say, some work-stations are static to the max here.
I have noticed that when you're tired, you alter your position to be able not to load areas you're worn.
Ofcourse you notice pain, in wrists, neck, lower back, shoulders etc.
Some machines are designed in a manner you simply move outside your normal comfort zone.

I've also talked to PT's about general faults we do when we work out. There's alot of those problems!
It's not unresonable you experience same problems on a bike. Simply, you may not be able to get a position that suits you perfect.
The body is organic, so it's not strange really.
Sure, i believe a bike fit at a very good fitter may help. However, those i've spoken to told me i should ride and reschedule a look up after a few weeks.
I can't do that, due to distance.

In a perfect situation, you might be strong enough to hold a position, but due to different work, different days, i am really worn.
This makes things a bit uneasy when it comes down to static position.

A doctor told me, a race bike put's you in an unnatural position, no wonder the effect turns out differently for different people.
You can't change that fact.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

AJS914

by AJS914

So you don’t agree with clipless pedals also? They are too restrictive, aren’t they?
Interestingly, people didn't have knee problems when we used toeclips and straps. There was way more give in the system and the ability to rock side to side. Pedals makers responded by putting float into pedals. People also add varus/valgus wedges now to achieve correct knee tracking.

We all use multple positions on the bike - sitting up in our highest position, a little lower on the hoods, in the drops, and then our lowest most aero "on the rivet" postion with our nose close to the stem. Your butt changes its position on the saddle with every position change.

I was looking at the SQ Labs saddle. The ability to rock side to side is intersting. I'd love to try one.

https://sqlab-usa.com/pages/sqlab-activ ... technology

Ringo

by Ringo

Hexsense wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:55 pm
Ringo wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:16 pm

Do you run the same way up hill vs flat?
Or even the same way on treadmill vs real road?

Do you notice that different bib short have different thickness?
And also, leg muscle are shortening thoughout the day? People are tallest in the morning and gradually shorter til night.
Legs muscle shorten with repeated load. People can feel their saddle to be a bit high after a hard ride compare to when they start.
Bib short compress with distance. Foot swollen bigger, bum get thinner as you lose water.
And yet, one must maintain exact position throughout the ride... :noidea:
Ok I’m not saying that I’m right and everyone else is wrong, I’m just trying to figure things out.
All that is my assumptions based on my logic and my experience. So take that with a grain of salt.
But are you talking about millimeters here or Mister Fantastic from Fantastic 4?
Bibs and swollen feet may impact your form but it’s not going to change your technique and style dramatically.
I’m not talking about sprints, or when you ride out of the saddle but for the 70% of the time that you actually sit on it and just ride.
Btw what’s your favorite saddle and why?
Last edited by Ringo on Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XXTi
C60

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Ringo wrote:
There may be one theoretically most efficient postion on a bike, but the beneficial reason for movemement to various positions on the saddle is simply a combination of comfort and to refresh muscle groups. Nearly everyone does this, some more then others.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

wilwil wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:36 pm
Ive tried a great many saddles and Im still uncomfortable. Currently on Romins (not the Evo) because they are the least uncomfortable. However im now finding they are digging in to my right groin.
If you have issues with pressure points in the groin SQ Lab saddles are worth a try. They allow you to prop your sitbones up on a shelf and control the amount of pressure everywhere else by how much you roll your pelvis forward and/or how far forward on the saddle you chose to sit.
AJS914 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:16 pm
I was looking at the SQ Labs saddle. The ability to rock side to side is intersting. I'd love to try one.
https://sqlab-usa.com/pages/sqlab-activ ... technology
I have eight SQ Lab 612 Ergowave saddles, 4 regular and 4 "active" (with the so called rocking feature). Riding the active technology is moderately noticeable. The body seems to adapt almost immediately and the saddle feels "normal". What I do notice is that over longer distances the active saddles seem a bit more compliant, and for some this will translate to great comfort.

I am a huge proponent of SQ Lab saddles. Like many here, I have tried everything and was never able to get my groin comfortable. As a youth I could ride a broomstick, but things suddenly changed when I hit a certain age. Never had numbness, just various points of my undercarriage that would start to hurt depending on the saddle. With some saddles the pain was immediate, and for others it would come up after 3 hours - but always something. The SQ Lab saddles provide the rider the option of removing nearly all pressure from the groin area in a way that a cutout cannot. The only downside is increased pressure on the sit bones. I deal with this by dropping into an aero position intermitently to spread the pressure around and refresh tissue.

My advice re SQ Lab is always the same for people that have tried everything else: you owe it to yourself to try SQ Lab. It is absolutely not a solution for everybody, but it just might be the one for you. Buy the cheapest model of 612 is the widest size you you think makes sense - you'll probably know right away if the shape works for you although it can take a bit to learn the best postion on the saddle for you. Going to wide won't hurt but too narrow might. I found SQ Labs sizing system resulted in a recommendation that was too narrow. And the other thing to be mindful of is that for some people literally 0.5 of degree tilt can make a difference. If I am off by 1 degree nose up or down, I notice it.
Last edited by Mr.Gib on Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

guyc

by guyc

I’d love to try one. Rare as hen’s teeth in the UK.

NTX

by NTX

Just curious, how long (hours or distance) does it take for you to determine if a saddle is a good fit or not? Obviously there are extreme situations where it hurts immediately but wondering how long you allow for break-in/adaptation to formulate an opinion.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

guyc wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:16 pm
I’d love to try one. Rare as hen’s teeth in the UK.
You think they are tough to get in the UK? - try Canada my friend!

Shouldn't be a problem. Last I checked the website will sell direct to the EU (better hurry up before Brexit lol).

There are also German retailers that sell them on Ebay.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com