What’s your favorite saddle?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BBres

by BBres

I have to buy a new saddle. Afert a number of test I found out that Selle Italia Flite Boost Superflow in S3 is perfect for me.

The questions is: should I take the carbon rails option? It is the same price as the titanium rails one.

I am concerned about the higher risk of damage in case of any, even delicate crash or my bike accidentally falling down. I guess it might cause serious damage to the carbon rails as opposed to titanium rails which, probably, would sustain the impact. I've had 3 crashes in my life and every time the saddle got scratched, but was still useable.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

andreas

by andreas

I would rather optimize component choice based on everyday use rather than for crash tolerance. I've had carbon saddles for 10+ years, 2 selle Italia slr flow carbonio kit ones got broken saddle shells after hard pothole impacts (82 kg rider), switched to San Marco Shortfit Narrow carbon after that and never had an issue. Other than that I've had to replace one saddle due to scratching the padding after a crash, which wore down my bibs prematurely. Carbon has more flex than ti = more comfort.

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

Honestly, if all my decisions regarding cycling had the eventuality of crashing in mind, I think I'd stop riding bikes.

I've used carbon railed saddles for years off and on road and never had any issues aside from the problem of them fitting with some saddle clamps.

Going back to the OP, I'm a huge fan of the Repente Quasar which works really well with my bottom. It allows me to get low on the drops but it's also very comfortable for long distances off and on road.

The carbon railed one is about as light as padded saddles go at 120 grams and the steel railed saddle is great value and still only 170 grams. I have weighed both saddles myself and foud the reported weights to be correct.

macwatt

by macwatt

chrhag wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:25 pm
Tried alot, but have ended up with S-works Romin Evo Mirror saddle. Comfy as a sofa
I have the same saddle wonder what saddle tilt you use? and do you measure from rear to tip or only the front half section.

flying

by flying

Selle Italia SuperFlow SLR S3 been my long time fav

AW84

by AW84

Std. width Fizik Arione. Used to see them a lot back when they were more popular and never thought I'd get on with them. I have a pretty significant saddle-to-bar drop, so it just somehow works for the angle of my sit bones at that drop.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I might be sending myself to a rainy hell for saying this, but Selle Italia Flite Boost Ti316 Superflow is a great saddle (heavy, yes but i bought it for the awesomeness of ride feel).
I also rode it's sibling, Flite Boost Carbonio, but this one is not at all to my liking.
Both L3, same bike all else same.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

DeLuz

by DeLuz

Just started using a Phenom and like t so far.

Robius

by Robius

I ride on aero position on the outside and upright at home. I'm struggling to find a saddle that works for both.

I'm currently using Pro Stealth and it's not that good for trainer rides.

Do you have any recommendations?
2016 Felt AR2 Di2
Retired:
2017 Giant TCR Pro 2
2015 Cannondale Synapse 6

WeberRoad

by WeberRoad

I am using the specialized power in 143 for second time. I also tried the prologo dimension, very good saddle, it will be my next purchase.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

BBres wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:25 am
I have to buy a new saddle. Afert a number of test I found out that Selle Italia Flite Boost Superflow in S3 is perfect for me.

The questions is: should I take the carbon rails option? It is the same price as the titanium rails one.

I am concerned about the higher risk of damage in case of any, even delicate crash or my bike accidentally falling down. I guess it might cause serious damage to the carbon rails as opposed to titanium rails which, probably, would sustain the impact. I've had 3 crashes in my life and every time the saddle got scratched, but was still useable.
You won't crack the carbon rails. Don't worry! You pick Ti rails for comfort nothing else. If you want carbon and only sort it out due to risk of failure, don't!
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

double post
Last edited by wheelsONfire on Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Robius wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:11 pm
I ride on aero position on the outside and upright at home. I'm struggling to find a saddle that works for both.

Well, i don't suggest any saddle for that. I don't sit same on a trainer as i do when i ride for real.
It have never been working for me to be fitted on trainer vs riding for real. If you look for a saddle that handle much moving around, you might go for the flattest saddle you can find.
I can also agree on one thing, some saddles are perfect for riding in the drops, but when you ride on the hoods you'd need to change position of the saddle.
My latest saddle is OK for both, but i had to reduce my handlebar drop.
I love to like any saddle, but i simply must say after riding over 30 saddles, that the perfect saddle isn't yet offered.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

milanv

by milanv

wheelsONfire wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:18 pm
Robius wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:11 pm

Well, i don't suggest any saddle for that. I don't sit same on a trainer as i do when i ride for real.
It have never been working for me to be fitted on trainer vs riding for real. If you look for a saddle that handle much moving around, you might go for the flattest saddle you can find.
I can also agree on one thing, some saddles are perfect for riding in the drops, but when you ride on the hoods you'd need to change position of the saddle.
My latest saddle is OK for both, but i had to reduce my handlebar drop.
I love to like any saddle, but i simply must say after riding over 30 saddles, that the perfect saddle isn't yet offered.
Welcome to the club, I am near your number, but I have found the Greatest One for me.😉

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

marusanek52

by marusanek52

Has anyone tried the selle repente saddles? They look pretty nice.