What’s your favorite saddle?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

one60

by one60

My favorite saddle is the Fabric Scoop Radius. Can anyone suggest an all-carbon saddle with a similar shape?

efixler

by efixler

Prologo Dimension.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tabl10s

by tabl10s

Gelu P1.
2015 Pinarello F8: 13.13lbs/5.915kg(w/Roval 64's). Sold.
2016 Rca: 11.07lbs/5.048kg.
2015 Rca. 11.15 lbs(w/Roval CLX 32's)
2015 Rca/NOS(sold).
2018 S-Works SL6 Ultralight 12.03lbs(w/Roval CLX 50's)

smeady

by smeady

I realize this is a super old thread but it seemed easier to bump this than make an entirely new one for a similar question.

I recently got a new build put together with a 143mm Specialized Power Mirror, but I'm really not liking the saddle so far. It rubs on my inner thigh and I've got somewhat of a bruise there from the couple rides I've done. I think I need to return it and get something else, but I'm not quite sure what saddle to get. My last bike had a 143mm Specialized Toupe from like 2012 and that worked great, so I'm thinking something a bit more narrow than the short Specialized mirror saddle.

It seems odd to me that the Toupe would be just fine and the Power saddle would not work given they're the same width, but I guess in this case the shape just doesn't agree with me. I'm thinking I'll get a narrower saddle this time around, not sure if anyone has any suggestions. I was thinking about something full carbon like the Berk Lupina, but they only have 132mm and I'm not sure how it would fit, and I'm hesitant to buy one without knowing if it would work. Any suggestions/recommendations would be super helpful.

SystemShock

by SystemShock

Ritxis wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:43 am
Selle San Marco forever...Rolls, Regale, Shortfit
Absolutely love the Rolls. The Regal didn't quite work for me. Never tried the Shortfit.

jlok

by jlok

SMP Full Carbon. Unbelievably comfortable.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

milanv

by milanv

Pro Stealth Curved Team

Dat

by Dat

jlok wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:56 am
I ride a forma. I had a full carbon lite and it was aweful. There is no flex in the shell at all.

jlok

by jlok

Dat wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:10 pm
jlok wrote:
I ride a forma. I had a full carbon lite and it was aweful. There is no flex in the shell at all.
That makes it even more magical, doesn't it? It does not rely on flex to provide comfort. The shape just work, no matter the density of chamois. I finished the festive 500 on it and expect it to carry me further. But of course, there is no single saddle to fit all as you can see the unlimited saddle variety here.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Dat

by Dat

jlok wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:28 pm
Dat wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:10 pm
jlok wrote:
That makes it even more magical, doesn't it? It does not rely on flex to provide comfort. The shape just work, no matter the density of chamois. I finished the festive 500 on it and expect it to carry me further. But of course, there is no single saddle to fit all as you can see the unlimited saddle variety here.
I've done 600k rides in a forma, this is on fixed. Can't do 20miles in comfort on a full carbon. Glad you found a good saddle for you though!

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I have a few SMP and one is the full carbon which I find is a little ridgid on my road bike but it seems to work okay on my CX bike. I found the Composit works better for my road bike and it has had the cover removed so its just the shell. It does have something to do with the shape and these saddles are 129mm wide and I am 183cm tall and 80kg. I am not sold on the width of saddles according to your sit bones.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

EsotericCyclist

by EsotericCyclist

smeady wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:23 am
I realize this is a super old thread but it seemed easier to bump this than make an entirely new one for a similar question.

I recently got a new build put together with a 143mm Specialized Power Mirror, but I'm really not liking the saddle so far.

Any suggestions/recommendations would be super helpful.

Have you thought about the Specialized Romin Mirror? Defintiely has a more traditional shape than the stubby short nosed Power.

edchristoph

by edchristoph

Selle SMP Blaster Carbon Rails.

I recently rewarded myself with this saddle. In hindsight it is one of those things where you think to yourself: why on earth haven't I done this earlier?

I have rather narrow sitbones (ca 11cm) so I pulled the trigger on the Blaster which is based on the Composite shell with minimal padding. SMPs are very senstive regarding the correct position as the line between awesome and awful is very thin.

Coming from a Selle Italia SLR Boost Kit Carbonio Superflow (what a name!) I followed the instructions from Steve Hogg for changing seats. As many other SMP useres here reported I moved the SMP quite a bit forward compared to my previous saddle as your sitting relativley further towards the rear of the saddle. Regarding saddle tilt I followed Neill Stanbury's guidance (as featured in Cam Nicholls YT channel) to level the saddle by putting about one finger's width (i.e. a 12-14mm gap) between the spirit level and the front of the seat and then tweak it from there. In my case I ended up having a saddle tilt of 6.5 degree nose down. It is hard to describe the sensations unless you experience it yourself, the rise at the rear of the SMP saddle very evenly supports your sitbones while you rotate your pelivis forward to maintain a low position on the bike.
Last edited by edchristoph on Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MrRolandos

by MrRolandos

Specialized power arc expert, love the saddle. Pretty heavy but it just works. The SWAT mount is also lovely for my Garmin Varia RTL515

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

Sworks power for me. However I have t tried the mirror version yet so that might be even better (I have one coming on a bike).
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com