What’s your favorite saddle?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

guyc

by guyc

Great to know. Thank you. Post back how you get on.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

guyc wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:04 pm
wilwil wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:01 pm
Not sure on active or non active
Mr Gib probably better placed to advise there as he has both...
My guess is that if you are OK with the active, then you will be OK with the non-active. When I first started riding SQ Lb 612 Ergowave, I actually preferred the non-active as it seemed to clear the perineum even more then the active. But lately as I have been upping my distance (many rides in excess of 150 km) I have started to prefer the active as it seems a bit easier on the sitbones. This is what you would expect with the wings of the saddle on the active compressing a bit allowing the center of the saddle to move up into the perineum a littel more and sharing the load on the sitbones. But even on the active you can always move the back shelf and have daylight under your taint if you want. Also depending on which of the 3 elastomers you choose, you can control the amount of flex and thereby the abount of pressure on the various parts of your undercarriage.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wilwil

by wilwil

Thanks for that advice. I’m mystified by the sizing. My sit bones are 95 mm if I add 20mm according to their size guide that gives 115 mm and the smallest saddle is 120 mm. Can I really be smaller than the smallest saddle size at 178 cm tall and 74 kg? I’ve actually emailed them to clarify.

AJS914

by AJS914

Are you measuring sitbones by sitting on cardboard as they suggest?

I'm going to try a 612 Active. I have always had some sit bone assymetry. When I sit on a saddle one side gets way more pressure than the other. This has always happend and I usually forget about it after 10-15 minutes of riding.

I've recently tried turning my saddle a degree to the left and helped quite a bit in getting the sit bones to make more even contact.

wilwil

by wilwil

AJS914 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:09 pm
Are you measuring sitbones by sitting on cardboard as they suggest?

I'm going to try a 612 Active. I have always had some sit bone assymetry. When I sit on a saddle one side gets way more pressure than the other. This has always happend and I usually forget about it after 10-15 minutes of riding.

I've recently tried turning my saddle a degree to the left and helped quite a bit in getting the sit bones to make more even contact.

dim

by dim

If you are not worried about weight, and want comfort, have a very close look at the Brooks C17 carved ...

My local LBS had a promotion where you could try a demo Brooks C17 Carved saddle for a few weeks and decide if it was for you .... from what I have heard, all the people who tried it, bought one .... and my LBS is the go-to shop for Audax/long distance riders in my area

Yesterday, I rode a 100km audax ride, and spotted many C17 carved saddles (many of these riders do the long 1000Km+ Audax rides) ... I have one on my Trek Emonda SL6 ... I know it looks odd on the bike, and don't care about the extra few grams .... when I ride, I don't even think about 'saddle'

I'm looking at the Berk Lupine (to save some grams) and will try it .... Sigma sell it, and if it's not comfortable, it's going back as they have a 90 day return policy , and I will stick the the Brooks ... even if I decide to keep the Berk, the Brooks will be kept and not sold
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

AJS914

by AJS914

To save weight, you can also get the Brooks C13 Carved. They make it in 132, 145, and 158mm. I've tried the non-carved C13 and it's a nice saddle. I'd like to try the Carved version next.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Finally got a ride of over 3 hours on the SMP Composit and happy to say it feels the same at the end of the ride as it does at the start. Found I was still able to move around enough for my liking when climbing or flat riding. I like my saddle quite level so it allows movement. On this ride I was busy thinking about the lack of food rather than my ass in the very end. Image

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

wilwil wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:07 pm
Thanks for that advice. I’m mystified by the sizing. My sit bones are 95 mm if I add 20mm according to their size guide that gives 115 mm and the smallest saddle is 120 mm. Can I really be smaller than the smallest saddle size at 178 cm tall and 74 kg? I’ve actually emailed them to clarify.
Forget their sizing system. It had me on the narrowest and then they advise go one size up and that would put me on a 13. I just reasoned that the narrower the saddle, the deeper into my taint it will go - no thanks. So I bought the widest they offer - 15. Also, from what I can see, the front two thirds of the saddle appears identical on all sizes. If this is true then the only difference is the tail of the saddles get wider as the size goes up. I am perfectly happy on the 15. I had heard that no one has ever complained that their SQ Lab saddle was too wide, but some people needed to move up from narrower sizes. The only caveat is that the saddles have a square edge. There is no gradual rounded fall-off toward the edge. It is possible that this edge could dig into some riders legs, but that would mean some weird anatomy. Wide also distributes pressure better. Tough call, you might have to experiment.

FWIW for specialized I should be on a 143 but prefer 155.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

guyc

by guyc

Same as Mr Gib - I went for the 15 and it’s bang on. I’ve had both 143 and 155 Specialized and they say I should be 143 but I prefer 155 also.

kgt

by kgt

bikeboy1tr wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:03 pm
Finally got a ride of over 3 hours on the SMP Composit and happy to say it feels the same at the end of the ride as it does at the start. Found I was still able to move around enough for my liking when climbing or flat riding. I like my saddle quite level so it allows movement. On this ride I was busy thinking about the lack of food rather than my ass in the very end. Image

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk
The more you (your sitbones) get used to it the better it gets.

guyc

by guyc

Just back from a nice 45 miler, albeit a windy one.

This SQLab saddle is just brilliant. The Mimic was good but didn't allow me to move enough. This one does, and it's comfy everywhere. There's no sense of the pelvis rocking but that elastomer just makes the pelvis feel more flexible. I've moved it forward 3mm and angled the nose up a .5 degree more and that's where I need it. The hammock effect is sooooo good when you slide back onto the shelf. No rubbing, soreness, undue pressure on the sitbones and absolutely zero numbness or pressure on the perineum.

Just brilliant.

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Had a selle Italia SLR kit Carb flow (original shape) for almost 10 years. Tried to replace it with a newer version and did not work for me. The Berk Lupina padded has been very comfortable. Have tried at least 10+ other saddles with painful results!!

Schadenfreude

by Schadenfreude

guyc wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:05 pm
This SQLab saddle is just brilliant.
I'm planning on trying the SQLab Ergowave 612 Active soon. Someone mentioned BIGGRIDE in Australia, funnily I just ordered the fitting kit from them.

What do you sit bones measure at? I have had mine measured on an Ass-o-meter at 100mm - I don't really want to order anything to wide as I have found wider seats uncomfortable in the past. e.g. the Fizik Aliante - the wings just dug into my thighs.

AnkitS

by AnkitS

50 kg on the dot. I don't ride enough because of school (8 - 10 hours a week + commutes). +1 for the 143 prologo dimension. Would love to try a berk dila because I love the way it looks but can not justify the price tag at the moment. The dimension works for me better than my spec power saddle does.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com