quarq bb30 spindle replacement

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

simoncx

by simoncx

Has anyone replaced the spindle in a quarq elsa r bb30? The spindle in mine is pretty worn and I was considering just getting an odd size force or 900 series crank cheap off ebay and removing the spindle since I cant find where to get an original sram spindle.

grover

by grover

Many times.

The bolt that says 'do not remove'. Undo that so that it sticks out 2-3mm. place the crankarm so that the back of it where the spindle enters is well supported on something but the spindle is free to move away from the crankarm. A piece of pipe with an internal diameter of 30.5mm or so is perfect. The Park tool crown race setting tool is perfect.

Hit the bolt that is protruding with a plastic mallet. It might take a few goes. You need to hit it hard. That'll pop the spindle out of the crankarm. Then remove the bolt completely and change the spindle over.

The stock spindle is 119mm. If you can't find one easily Cannondale sell a 119mm spindle (designed for the SuperX cross bike with single chainring). The threaded preload ring will not work on it though. You'll need to use an extra 5mm spacer and a wavy washer (+/- microshims).
Last edited by grover on Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

glepore

by glepore

As above. If you want new, stages sells them...
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

grover

by grover

glepore wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:29 pm
Have you actually used a stages spindle in a crankset not using one arm at least from stages?

I thought the stages spindles were clocked differently on one end. So if you used it with both SRAM arms they won't be in line with each other.

simoncx

by simoncx

Thank you, I removed the bolt and it looked doable but I wasnt sure if the spindle was glued and bolted or just held in by the bolt. I have the park crown race tool so thats not a problem. I though the same thing about the stages that it was clocked different?

glepore

by glepore

simoncx wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:41 pm
Thank you, I removed the bolt and it looked doable but I wasnt sure if the spindle was glued and bolted or just held in by the bolt. I have the park crown race tool so thats not a problem. I though the same thing about the stages that it was clocked different?
Clocked? The clocking happens on the crankarm shoulder...
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

glepore

by glepore

grover wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:31 pm
glepore wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:29 pm
Have you actually used a stages spindle in a crankset not using one arm at least from stages?

I thought the stages spindles were clocked differently on one end. So if you used it with both SRAM arms they won't be in line with each other.
I used one to make a set of Red 22 cranks work with an fsa 386 left, cause it was cheap in 165... . the reason stages has them is for different lengths to make everything play nice.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

The stages spindles won't work. The splines aren't in line while the cannondale/sram ones are.

Problem arises when combining fsa/cannondale on one side with a sram on the other side. They need the stages spindle to correct the alignment of the splines.

I'm pretty sure fsa and cannondale use the same alignment, but sram doesn't.

So you can mix cannondale si and fsa bb30/386 components and it will align out of the box but you need the stages spindle if you want to mix any of those with sram.

jari8289

by jari8289

grover wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:28 pm
Many times.

The bolt that says 'do not remove'. Undo that so that it sticks out 2-3mm. place the crankarm so that the back of it where the spindle enters is well supported on something but the spindle is free to move away from the crankarm. A piece of pipe with an internal diameter of 30.5mm or so is perfect. The Park tool crown race setting tool is perfect.

Hit the bolt that is protruding with a plastic mallet. It might take a few goes. You need to hit it hard. That'll pop the spindle out of the crankarm. Then remove the bolt completely and change the spindle over.

The stock spindle is 119mm. If you can't find one easily Cannondale sell a 119mm spindle (designed for the SuperX cross bike with single chainring). The threaded preload ring will not work on it though. You'll need to use an extra 5mm spacer and a wavy washer (+/- microshims).
Hi grover,

Is this the spindle you Mentioned? https://r2-bike.com/CANNONDALE-Spindle- ... ple-KP450-

I would use this to replace the bb30 spindle om my quarq dfour. Will this work? I don't understand what you mean with the treaded preload ring and where to put the 5mm extra spacers.
Kind regards
Jari

jari8289

by jari8289

grover wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:28 pm
Many times.

Hi grover,

Is this the spindle you Mentioned? https://r2-bike.com/CANNONDALE-Spindle- ... ple-KP450-

I would use this to replace the bb30 spindle om my quarq dfour. Will this work? I don't understand what you mean with the treaded preload ring and where to put the 5mm extra spacers.
Kind regards
Jari

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

Has anyone got any long term reviews of this process? Seems like a good way to get a Sram Red crank into a bb386 frame, without the added weight of the removable spider model.

On that note, anyone weighed the difference between the old short spindle and the new longer spindle?

Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com