Reasonably Lightweight, Reasonably Aero, Affordable – Merlin Inferno?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

whyamihere

by whyamihere

Here's mine:

I've not got the front end quite right yet. I'm going to get a -17 stem with a little bit more length, and I might switch to the lower headset cover as well to get a bit more drop. The frame also starts to make the 38mm rims look positively shallow, I might have to start looking into something a bit deeper.

Weight at the moment is just under 8kg. Chopping the seatpost, swapping the stem and changing the expander/top cap should drop about 100-150g. I'm also looking into new axles - The supplied ones are QR through axles, which are heavy, not very aero and are a bit fiddly to get to the correct tightness. 7.5kg should be achievable, but that might be about the limit without swapping out aero parts or going to mechanical gears or those new Extralite disc wheels...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Konsi

by Konsi

Thank you for the photo! It looks rather big, what was the saddle height in this photo?

whyamihere

by whyamihere

Saddle height in that shot is 74cm from BB centre (the picture was taken before properly setting up the height). I think it looks bigger than it is because of the horizontal TT. If it was a sloping TT, there would be another 3-4cm of seatpost exposed.

Konsi

by Konsi

I used the drop in the Pound around the vote yesterday and ordered a medium-frame (had another conversation with a friend who is an ex-pro mech for Cannondale/Garmin and we measured my commuter and the cargo bike, so the medium should work). Also have a pair of Shimano Di2 ST-R785 with flatmount-brakes incoming, was on sale, so frame and brakes and STIs for less than 800 Euro, that should work for my budget.

Is it customary to have a build-thread here or rather complete bikes only?

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Do you know fork rake/offset?
Seeing all sizes come with 71.5-72 degree head tube angle suggest that fork offset should be more than traditional 43-45mm, otherwise the handling would be pretty sluggish.
But i don't see it list on their site.

Konsi

by Konsi

Unfortunately, the logistics company damaged the frame (several small nicks and a tear in the toptube, where at least some of the layers are gone). It arrived today, I send a number of photos to Merlin, and now it is on the way back to the UK, I am supposed to get a replacement at no extra costs. No weights so far, my scale has not arrived yet.

AllWeightNoTraining

by AllWeightNoTraining

Also looking into buying this frame, Merlin states a max tyre size of 25mm, but did anybody try to squeeze in a 28? or has any photos of the clearence that's left with a 25mm in it?

whyamihere

by whyamihere

There's plenty of clearance around my 25s (Hutchinson Fusion 5s mounted on a 17mm internal width rim), 28s look like they should fit without issue.

Konsi

by Konsi

My replacement frame has arrived, this time undamaged, I am just a bit surprised that the decals seem to be above the clearcoat. Mine is also a little heavier than claimed, the medium comes in at 1220g for the frame (but it has parts of the headset already installed), 446g for the uncut fork, and 216 for the seatpost.

Positively is to mention the number of small parts that came with the frame, headset, two different cones for the top of the headtube, seatpost battery holder for Shimano Di2, a number of different grommets to close all the holes one might or might not need etc.

I will wait for a few more parts and then start a build thread in the gallery. I already bought a complete Ultegra Di2 used, FSA SL-K cranks, mostly have to decide on the wheelset and if I want to splurge on a carbon aero handlebar.

kervelo

by kervelo

If you decide to get a carbon handlebar, check out the 3T Ernova Team Stealth at wiggle/chainreactioncycles: the price is very nice.

robeambro

by robeambro

Konsi wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:56 am
My replacement frame has arrived, this time undamaged, I am just a bit surprised that the decals seem to be above the clearcoat. Mine is also a little heavier than claimed, the medium comes in at 1220g for the frame (but it has parts of the headset already installed), 446g for the uncut fork, and 216 for the seatpost.

Positively is to mention the number of small parts that came with the frame, headset, two different cones for the top of the headtube, seatpost battery holder for Shimano Di2, a number of different grommets to close all the holes one might or might not need etc.

I will wait for a few more parts and then start a build thread in the gallery. I already bought a complete Ultegra Di2 used, FSA SL-K cranks, mostly have to decide on the wheelset and if I want to splurge on a carbon aero handlebar.
IMO going for an aero-ish frame and then leaving a round handlebar is counterintuitive, especially cause aero bars are exactly "Reasonably Lightweight, Reasonably Aero, Affordable". The wattage gain you get from aero handlebars is very high relatively to their weight penalty, and the monetary expense. In other words, a lot of aero bang for your weight-and-money bucks.

Konsi

by Konsi

robeambro wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:20 pm
Konsi wrote:

IMO going for an aero-ish frame and then leaving a round handlebar is counterintuitive, especially cause aero bars are exactly "Reasonably Lightweight, Reasonably Aero, Affordable". The wattage gain you get from aero handlebars is very high relatively to their weight penalty, and the monetary expense. In other words, a lot of aero bang for your weight-and-money bucks.
I think so too, thats why I try to find a good used one, but it is not easy (see my thread about counterfeit). There are not many where I could put on tri extensions for the Half-Ironman (I have only found the Aeronova which is officially ok with it).

robeambro

by robeambro

Konsi wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:24 pm
robeambro wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:20 pm
Konsi wrote:

I think so too, thats why I try to find a good used one, but it is not easy (see my thread about counterfeit). There are not many where I could put on tri extensions for the Half-Ironman (I have only found the Aeronova which is officially ok with it).
You could always swap the stem for the one used on the Venge, and their clip-ons will fit on it.
This will also allow you to mount whatever handlebars you want.

Otherwise, Vision Metron 4D. Not cheap though, I guess.

Also, Aeronovas have a huge reach, enough to throw your bike fit out of the window.

Not easy!

Ginsterdrz

by Ginsterdrz

I'm fairly local to Merlin in the UK. I can confirm Merlin's tie in with Ridley and they do sell rebranded frames from Ridley's back catalogue. They also get Ridley's ex-team bikes from time to time. Merlin have an excellent reputation for customer service. If it were between China and Merlin, I'd be shopping Merlin every time!
At the price, I'm considering one myself....

Konsi

by Konsi

Ginsterdrz wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:48 am
I'm fairly local to Merlin in the UK. I can confirm Merlin's tie in with Ridley and they do sell rebranded frames from Ridley's back catalogue. They also get Ridley's ex-team bikes from time to time. Merlin have an excellent reputation for customer service. If it were between China and Merlin, I'd be shopping Merlin every time!
At the price, I'm considering one myself....
Merlin was very helpful and responsive throughout the process, but their logistics partner messed up thrice. But I felt well taken care of by the customer service at Merlin and they compensated me for the delay and the other issues, so I don’t have to decide between aero handlebars and carbon rims, but can afford both.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com