Reasonably Lightweight, Reasonably Aero, Affordable – Merlin Inferno?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Konsi

by Konsi

whyamihere wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:04 pm
I'm also looking into new axles - The supplied ones are QR through axles, which are heavy, not very aero and are a bit fiddly to get to the correct tightness.
After reading your post, I ordered axles fr the Robert Axle Project. They come in at 66g grams for both.

whyamihere

by whyamihere

I did the same. As well as the RAP axles, mine has received Light Bicycle 56mm wheels, and I've gone back to round chainrings and sorted out the front stack height. I think it's pretty much finished for now until I inevitably get bored and replace it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Konsi

by Konsi

whyamihere wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 3:36 pm
I did the same. As well as the RAP axles, mine has received Light Bicycle 56mm wheels, and I've gone back to round chainrings and sorted out the front stack height. I think it's pretty much finished for now until I inevitably get bored and replace it.
I am also going for 56mm Lightbicycle rims – unfortunately they have not yet arrived (see also here: Gallery)

AJS914

by AJS914

So how does the Inferno ride?

VisionSeeker

by VisionSeeker

Hey Konsi,

How do you like the geometry of the inferno size m? Are you satisfied with the drop height? What drop are you riding with? Also am curious if you enjoy riding the bike. ^^

I pretty much happen to have the same body geometry as you (same inseam and height, however "only" an ape index of +3 and quite flexible) and like you have Triathlon ambitions. I am asking because they only have an L available in silver and based on my calculations so far it seems L could also work for me. Slightly lower drop potential (the stack would be like 2 cm higher). What would you recommend?

Also do you happen to know how many spacers the frame can support, since I noticed it seems you managed to fit on more than I expected from a carbon fork?

Thanks so much!

Konsi

by Konsi

Hello,

I have ridden a little less than 1000km on the bike by now.
As it is my first road bike, it is difficult for me to comment on the geometry or ride feeling objectively. I am still getting used to the very different feeling compared to my other bikes, especially descending, and the deep wheels are also something to get used to. The biggest issue is a very strong (to the point you can hear it) vibration which sometimes occurs when braking in the front at high speeds on rough surfaces. I had two more experienced friends ride the bike for a few kilometers in Italy, and they both found the ride feeling quite good (they are normally riding a Lightweight and a Scott Addict), so it seems really mostly an issue of me getting used to road bikes, and maybe the rather narrow handlebars. Apart from this, I have a blast riding it :)

On the question of geometry, sizes, and spacers, the frame comes with two different tops for the headtube. I use the higher one and about 25mm of spacers below the stem, but a -17 degree stem in 90mm. That puts the center of the stem at the handlebar (I hope it is understandable what I mean) at about 88cm above the floor, the middle of the saddle is at 103cm, so about 14-15cm drop. I would be able to get to the same handlebar height (but only barely) on the L frame, and I am still considering to lower the bars another 5 or 10 mm. The short stem is because of the huge reach of the Aeronova handlebars. I don't know about any limits on spacers, there were at least 10 cm of the fork cut off.

Kristof047

by Kristof047

Another Merlin Inferno build:

Felt like a special frame indeed with flippable seatpost, rim-brake mounts, headset cover.

Apart from a warm up, it’s first kilometers were in a race on an airplane runway. Straight roads and pouring rain. Loved the ride!

Main purpose of the build was a ‘cheap’ crit bike, focussed on the many flat courses around here. So I went for 1x and mechanical disc brakes. New, used and leftover parts. Looks most beautifull in the sun or evening with some light. Nice effect on the wheels and bottle cages. Just can’t get it on picture.

Short specs:
Frame: Merlin Inferno L
Wheels: Prime 50mm special edition, Hutchinson Fusion 5 tyres
Groupset: Force crank, 5800 rear-der, Trp spyre calipers, 6800 shifters
Saddle: Selle Italia SLR
Bottle cages: Supacaz oil slick
Pedals: 2 different leftover looks
Handlebar: Ritchey WCS

citrusparty

by citrusparty

Kristof047 wrote:Another Merlin Inferno build:

Felt like a special frame indeed with flippable seatpost, rim-brake mounts, headset cover.

Apart from a warm up, it’s first kilometers were in a race on an airplane runway. Straight roads and pouring rain. Loved the ride!

Main purpose of the build was a ‘cheap’ crit bike, focussed on the many flat courses around here. So I went for 1x and mechanical disc brakes. New, used and leftover parts. Looks most beautifull in the sun or evening with some light. Nice effect on the wheels and bottle cages. Just can’t get it on picture.

Short specs:
Frame: Merlin Inferno L
Wheels: Prime 50mm special edition, Hutchinson Fusion 5 tyres
Groupset: Force crank, 5800 rear-der, Trp spyre calipers, 6800 shifters
Saddle: Selle Italia SLR
Bottle cages: Supacaz oil slick
Pedals: 2 different leftover looks
Handlebar: Ritchey WCS
Nice looking build.

What are the wheels like? Was thinking of getting a pair because they seem to be a very good deal

Kristof047

by Kristof047

Just did this one race in rainy conditions. Hard to tell yet. They were straight, well spinning and finished out of the box. Definitely raceworthy so far, got up to speed well, planted to the road (no flex or a rear wheel jumping around when sprinting). On par with Miche SWR, revox and Mavic Cosmic wheels I used, altough a little heavier.

But I'll give more experience when I had some training rides, where I can give more attention to their behaviour.

Did hear the hubs could be better overtime, but I don't mind changing bearings when necessary.