pedal based power meter

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

hi all,

got abit of a silly question. any idea if pedal based power meter (garmin, powertap or assioma) still works if i use a flat cover?

something like this:

image borrowed from road.cc

Thanks/
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:
n+1...14 last time i checked, but i lost count :mrgreen:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ettore

by Ettore

Single sided will start jumping much more than double sided, I imagine, because there is no power on the pedal on the upstroke.

mattr

by mattr

There's very little power on the upstroke anyway. Pretty much zero (or less) for a vast majority of the time.
I doubt it'll make any difference at all.

FWIW i was setting up a single sided stages on a turbo yesterday, wearing flip flops. Nice steady signal.

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

ok cool. Thanks guys.

Im convinced that the mearsurement is like some contact patch where the cleat engages the pedal. sounds like the measurement is taken at the axle so it doesnt matter how the force is applied, as long as the axle sense the force, then it will register a signal.

Cheers
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:

NiFTY

by NiFTY

If you are riding flats i assume you are nipping to shops or pub. Does it really matter?
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

nope. i have powertap hub already. im trying to introduce the idea of Power measurement to my wife's training. she only rides flats but she switches between a few wheelsets so buying multiple Powertap hubs may not be the cheapest way to go. (no crank based either, her bike has some rotor Aldhu, so it's way too expensive to get InPower. so im trying to decide if i should get pedal based power meter or Power Pod type wind measurement.

mattr

by mattr

Get a powerpod.
Riding on clipless pedals in "normal" shoes is horrible over any sort of distance. Even with an insert like you've shown.

Added benefit is the powerpod will be easy to swap between bikes. And i guess it's only for an indication rather than any sort of precision measurement?

Sock3t

by Sock3t

WorkonSunday wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:32 pm
nope. i have powertap hub already. im trying to introduce the idea of Power measurement to my wife's training. she only rides flats but she switches between a few wheelsets so buying multiple Powertap hubs may not be the cheapest way to go. (no crank based either, her bike has some rotor Aldhu, so it's way too expensive to get InPower. so im trying to decide if i should get pedal based power meter or Power Pod type wind measurement.
If she's riding flats, why does power matter?

moyboy

by moyboy

yup it will work they don't care what's on it.... power is power.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com