Daytime city light recommendations

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
ToughInTheStreets
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:28 pm
Location: Florida

by ToughInTheStreets

I'm in the market for a better set of lights for daytime city riding and can't make up my mind. I'm leaning toward the Bontrager Ion 200 set because I like the small form factor, but don't really care about the ANT+ connectivity. The ION 100 set has been around for a while and is essentially half the price which would be nice.

I guess my main problem is that I can't seem to find anything else comparable to these Bont's. Please feel free to chime in with what works for you or any suggestions. I usually only ride with lights at night, but really should be riding with daytime lights.

:beerchug:

bm0p700f
in the industry
Posts: 4923
Joined: Sat May 12, 2012 7:25 pm
Location: Glermsford, Suffolk U.K
Contact:

by bm0p700f

I tust be really dark in the day where you are. Lights don't make you more visible, or put another way just because you can possibly be seen further away does not mean other road users see you sooner or plan far enough ahead to make use of seeing you sooner.

by Weenie


dim
Posts: 534
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:25 am
Location: Cambridge UK

by dim

for the rear light, nothing beats the new Cygolite Hotshot Pro 200 USB

amazing light and I got mine for £25.00 (new)

https://cygolite.com/product/hotshot-pro-200-usb/
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

pedale
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:06 pm

by pedale

https://cyclingtips.com/2019/01/jra-wit ... ted-equal/

This article from cycling tips was an eye opener for me, and I’m looking for a light that can be visible enough for 8h+ of daytime riding and can accommodate an aero seatpost. So far I’m hesitating between the flare rt, seesense icon2 and exposure blaze mk3. All having nice features and drawbacks.

ToughInTheStreets
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:28 pm
Location: Florida

by ToughInTheStreets

bm0p700f wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:53 pm
I tust be really dark in the day where you are. Lights don't make you more visible, or put another way just because you can possibly be seen further away does not mean other road users see you sooner or plan far enough ahead to make use of seeing you sooner.
Thanks for answering the question with a completely arbitrary assessment of how you think lights don't matter in terms of safety. Really, what are you trying to achieve here? I have read plenty of arguments that claim that it doesn't help, but I can assure you that to my eyes, I definitely notice a cyclist with a flashing light much quicker than I can spot a cyclist without out. If your argument is that road users aren't going to see me anyways, are you also suggesting that we don't need lights at night..... get outta here.

How about this, do you think daytime lights make it LESS safe? Of course the answer is, "No." I do 95% of my riding in highly used roads and don't use lights during the day. You must not understand what I am trying to achieve by using lights during the day. If I can add even a fraction of a percent to the chance of catching the distracted driver's attention, that is a win.

I'm sure most will agree with that sentiment. Thanks for the irrelevant lecture. :smartass:

ToughInTheStreets
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:28 pm
Location: Florida

by ToughInTheStreets

dim wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:57 pm
for the rear light, nothing beats the new Cygolite Hotshot Pro 200 USB

amazing light and I got mine for £25.00 (new)

https://cygolite.com/product/hotshot-pro-200-usb/
Thanks for that. I'll add it to the list of contenders. :beerchug:

pjctyk
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:45 pm

by pjctyk

dim wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:57 pm
for the rear light, nothing beats the new Cygolite Hotshot Pro 200 USB

amazing light and I got mine for £25.00 (new)

https://cygolite.com/product/hotshot-pro-200-usb/
This beats it! None better for a rear light.
https://four4th.co.uk/products/lights/scorpionqr/

moyboy
Posts: 447
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:19 am

by moyboy

The fabric Lumaray is an interesting one.... fits between the garmin and the mount.... not powerful though.

bm0p700f
in the industry
Posts: 4923
Joined: Sat May 12, 2012 7:25 pm
Location: Glermsford, Suffolk U.K
Contact:

by bm0p700f

I just dont fall in to the trap of thinking more light more visble must be safer. My lighting at night makes me very visible I still get close passed and overtaken at juctions I am trying to turn into. If other mortorist dont think further than there own nose due to there impatience then how visible you are is irrelvant. Your either visible or your not it quite clear cut ut just because you are seen does not mean your are noticed and accountant for in thinking ahead by someone else. It like helmets. On a population level they have no impact on rider safety, on a individual level they can in certain circumstances (they are a number of empidemlogial studies to show this). So the same goes with lighting and visibility. commonsense say one thing evidence says another. People are not seen in daylight because they were not bright enough, they were not seen because of poor observation skills. That applies so long as your not cycling dressed in urban camoflauge.

Clothing that contrast will help you stand out more than day time lighting. That my point. Not that standing out more help other road users pass me more safely.

So yes daytime lights dont you make you safer. Who see a car sooner because of the daytime lights? Even if you do you thinking that far ahead? A bet not because only police drivers do and that the key point why making your self more visible is not very effective.

TobinHatesYou
Posts: 4185
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:02 pm

by TobinHatesYou

ToughInTheStreets wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:44 pm

I'm sure most will agree with that sentiment. Thanks for the irrelevant lecture. :smartass:
+1

ToughInTheStreets
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:28 pm
Location: Florida

by ToughInTheStreets

bm0p700f wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:02 am
I just dont fall in to the trap of thinking more light more visble must be safer. My lighting at night makes me very visible I still get close passed and overtaken at juctions I am trying to turn into. If other mortorist dont think further than there own nose due to there impatience then how visible you are is irrelvant. Your either visible or your not it quite clear cut ut just because you are seen does not mean your are noticed and accountant for in thinking ahead by someone else. It like helmets. On a population level they have no impact on rider safety, on a individual level they can in certain circumstances (they are a number of empidemlogial studies to show this). So the same goes with lighting and visibility. commonsense say one thing evidence says another. People are not seen in daylight because they were not bright enough, they were not seen because of poor observation skills. That applies so long as your not cycling dressed in urban camoflauge.

Clothing that contrast will help you stand out more than day time lighting. That my point. Not that standing out more help other road users pass me more safely.

So yes daytime lights dont you make you safer. Who see a car sooner because of the daytime lights? Even if you do you thinking that far ahead? A bet not because only police drivers do and that the key point why making your self more visible is not very effective.
Ignorance is bliss, I guess. Enjoy your ride.

For those of us that do not live in a fantasy land that bm0p700f lives in, please disregard his/her words of careless advice. Helmets have 100% saved my skull on multiple occasions. I don't care what the rebuttal is on the subject of helmets. I have mangled several and walked away unscathed after massive impacts. Lights on bikes definitely grab my attention MUCH FASTER than cyclists without them. I do not drive distracted and have had cyclists "sneak up" on me and surprise me with their presence ahead of me. It is easier to anticipate passing them when I see them earlier. PERIOD. End of discussion. How is this even a debate? Common freaking sense.

Again, if I can help the person behind the wheel of the 2 ton metal death machine AVOID HITTING ME even a tiny little bit with a simple blinking light, I will consider that worth the price of the lights.....geez. "Fall into the trap"...... does your head not get super sweaty and itchy while wearing that tinfoil hat all day long? :noidea:

Oldsport
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:46 am

by Oldsport

http://dinottelighting.com/
They have a model specifically for daytime use. I don't have that model. However, even with the regular model I have been asked by drivers where I got that light. The drivers notice it a long way off even in the day.

ToughInTheStreets
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:28 pm
Location: Florida

by ToughInTheStreets

Oldsport wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:54 am
http://dinottelighting.com/
They have a model specifically for daytime use. I don't have that model. However, even with the regular model I have been asked by drivers where I got that light. The drivers notice it a long way off even in the day.
Thanks, I was reading about that brand earlier today. Someone recommended it in the comments of the article that Pedale graciously shared. That company looks like they make some nice gear.

73Bronco
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:57 pm

by 73Bronco

As a long time user of the Ion 100 I can vouch for it. It goes out on every ride with me and the form factor is so small it's essentially unnoticeable, except for the light output that is. Mine's about at the end of its life and I actually have a new 200 to replace it. As the weather improves and my weekend rides start to get longer, I'll break out the 200.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk


NickJHP
Posts: 271
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:22 am
Location: Canberra, Australia

by NickJHP

I have the front/rear set of the see.sense Icon+ lights, which I've been more than happy with. I get over 12 hours of use on flash from a single charge, and several of my fellow riders have commented that they can be seen for a long way. I thought enough of them that I pre-ordered a set of their Icon2 lights, which have a bit over twice the output of the Icon+.

by Weenie


Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post