Quality floor pump?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
joshatsilca

by joshatsilca

MrMagura wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 8:01 pm
Watch out for Silca, it is no longer the company people have bought good pumps from in the past.
I just bought a Superpista Ultimat Hiro, and it was a complete piece of junk, with a docking system that didn't work due to design flaws, sharp edges lacking finish, a hose that was stupid stiff for no reason, and had zero torsional flexibility, to the point where it was ridiculous.
Their marketing BS about throughout long term testing, and 100% end quality control, has proven to be far from reality, as I'm far from the only person this happened to.
Customer service was a joke at best.

I ended up fixing a $450 track pump, straight out of the box, as customer service gave me the runaround about user error, till I gave up.

Like the above poster suggested:
SKS Rennkompressor has been well for a long time, throw in a Hirame chuck, and be done with for like $120
So we have offended MrMagura in a previous thread (totally my fault) and are trying to make that right, in the mean time he has been a bit hyperbolic about the SIlCA brand which from his perspective is reasonable.

From my perspective, the SuperPista Digital seems like it would fit the bill. As MrMagura points out, the Ultimate pump has a braided stainless hose which is not terribly flexible, this is great for ProTour use or running over it with the team car, etc.. but leaves the hose less than flexible. The SP digital, has a super long AND very flexible kevlar reinforced rubber hose, super accurate high mount gauge and I think everything you are looking for. Not cheap, but not as expensive as the SP Ultimate, also highly reviewed by other forum members, in use by a bunch of pro teams and athletes at the highest levels and all that good stuff.. so please let me know if you have any questions.
Josh
Owner of SILCA
Check out my Tech Blog: https://blog.silca.cc
Stories of the Tech behind the Tech: https://marginalgainspodcast.cc

MrMagura

by MrMagura

Josh,

Besides all the other quality and design issues......
As to why an unhandy hose that brings zero benefits, is supposed to be great for pro use, AKA people who needs to use it a lot and where ease of use matters, is still an unanswered question.
I know you don't know who I am, so to ease the general understanding, I have been a pro mechaninc, a couple of decades back.
Now I just service a fleet of some 30+ road bikes for amateur races.
So don't give me that "pro" bs, as it's rather ill placed here.

If anybody wonders, here's a link to the debate being referred to:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=156602

The current status of "trying to make it right":
Nada!
I have on my part suggested a solution, where you somply just send me the parts required, to make the pump work, once you manage to make one that does. If that had been accepted, I'd simply have bought an el-Cheapo pump for the time being (ordered the Silca pump as my current pump gave in), and have waited for the parts to drop in my mail box.
This was ignored, in fact I got another hint about user error as reply.

This is where I stopped trying, and fixed things myself.

I think most people would get slightly hyperbolic, after having to fix a $450 pump straight out of the box, and getting the runaround by the manufacturer.

by Weenie

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Getting back to the OP, my pump to end all pumps is a 7 gallon 140 psi air compressor, with quick release fittings, and nice flexible high pressure rubber hose, a prestaflator digital trigger adapter and a hirame presta adapter. This Frankenstein arrangement works perfectly for me. And with a 50 foot rubber hose, the compressor can stay in my basement workshop.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

ImageImage

nickf

by nickf

I have had great luck with my Bontrager Super Charger floor pump for a few years now. Full metal construction, nice hose, the head stays put, and a bleeder valve.

In the garage for the MTB and for setting tubeless tires I have a California Air Tools 8010 Ultra Quiet compressor from Amazon. The thing is a whisper compared to the rattletrap craftsman I had before. Similar to the one pictured above. For inflating the tires I'm using parts of an old specialized floor pump rigged up to a cheap blow gun handle.

kode54

by kode54

I would like to get a compressor, but find them a bit noisy and I don't have a dry place outside to put it. That said, are there any indoor compressors that are quieter?
goodboyr wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:28 pm
Getting back to the OP, my pump to end all pumps is a 7 gallon 140 psi air compressor, with quick release fittings, and nice flexible high pressure rubber hose, a prestaflator digital trigger adapter and a hirame presta adapter. This Frankenstein arrangement works perfectly for me. And with a 50 foot rubber hose, the compressor can stay in my basement workshop.

ImageImage
- Factor 02 Disc + DA9170 + Enve 4.5AR CK CL hubs
- Moots Vamoots Disc RSL Titanium + DA9170 + Enve 3.4AR CK CL hubs
- Parlee Altum + DA9150 + Enve SES 4.5 Ene carbon hubs
- Argonaut Spacebike 2.0 + DA9170 + Enve SES 5.6 DT Swiss 240 CL hubs

MrMagura

by MrMagura

kode54 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 1:37 pm
I would like to get a compressor, but find them a bit noisy and I don't have a dry place outside to put it. That said, are there any indoor compressors that are quieter?
I have a "super silent" compressor, but they're still noisy, and above all, they need mains power to run, making them a pain as soon you're not at the shop.
The DC battery operated compressors, are either brutally expensive, or very low quality, not intended for anything beyond occasional light use.
There doesn't seem to be a segment of portables, between toy compressors, and hefty industrial.

Sock3t

by Sock3t

joshatsilca wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 4:12 am
MrMagura wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 8:01 pm
Watch out for Silca, it is no longer the company people have bought good pumps from in the past.
I just bought a Superpista Ultimat Hiro, and it was a complete piece of junk, with a docking system that didn't work due to design flaws, sharp edges lacking finish, a hose that was stupid stiff for no reason, and had zero torsional flexibility, to the point where it was ridiculous.
Their marketing BS about throughout long term testing, and 100% end quality control, has proven to be far from reality, as I'm far from the only person this happened to.
Customer service was a joke at best.

I ended up fixing a $450 track pump, straight out of the box, as customer service gave me the runaround about user error, till I gave up.

Like the above poster suggested:
SKS Rennkompressor has been well for a long time, throw in a Hirame chuck, and be done with for like $120
So we have offended MrMagura in a previous thread (totally my fault) and are trying to make that right, in the mean time he has been a bit hyperbolic about the SIlCA brand which from his perspective is reasonable.

From my perspective, the SuperPista Digital seems like it would fit the bill. As MrMagura points out, the Ultimate pump has a braided stainless hose which is not terribly flexible, this is great for ProTour use or running over it with the team car, etc.. but leaves the hose less than flexible. The SP digital, has a super long AND very flexible kevlar reinforced rubber hose, super accurate high mount gauge and I think everything you are looking for. Not cheap, but not as expensive as the SP Ultimate, also highly reviewed by other forum members, in use by a bunch of pro teams and athletes at the highest levels and all that good stuff.. so please let me know if you have any questions.
Josh
Why don't you fix this guy's issue once and for all? It's annoying you keep stringing it along - I know myself and *ANYONE* I can influence to not buy your stuff because you legit can't fix this guy up. Your companies bullshit is litering this message board and it's rediculas.

Hawkwood

by Hawkwood

ghisallo2003 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 8:16 am
SKS + Hirame

Also have old Silca that travels in back of car. Still faultless after > 30 years.
SKS and Hirame for me too, seems like a bulletproof set up.

nickf

by nickf

California Air Tools 8010 Ultra Quiet. Got mine on Amazon. Quiet and more then enough for just filling up tires. Less then half the noise of the one pictured.
kode54 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 1:37 pm
goodboyr wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:28 pm

ImageImage