Quality floor pump?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MiddMan

by MiddMan

I'm looking for recommendations for a *quality* floor pump. The criteria are:

(a) accurate gauge
(b) clear bar/psi numbers
(c) solid construction
(d) preferably on the taller side (I'm a pretty tall guy at 193 cm), and most importantly:
(e) a chuck that will stay *secure* on presta valves, be they threaded or not.
(f) works with 80mm wheels
+ Nice to have:
(g) flexible hose
(h) air-bleed button (or at least a function where whe you release the valve, the air comes from air releasing from inside the pump hose rather than from the tire)

I've come up with a shortlist, so if you have comments about the following please chime in; if you have other recommendations, please let me know. Listed alphabetically:

(1) Arundel Floor Pump 1
https://www.arundelbike.com/store/#!/Fl ... y=26837459

(2) Lezyne Alloy Floor Drive
https://www.lezyne.com/product-fpumps-hp-alloy.php

(3) Lezyne CNC Floor Drive
https://www.lezyne.com/product-fpumps-hp-cnc.php

(4) Silca SuperPista Ultimate Hiro Edition**
https://silca.cc/products/superpista-ultimate-plus-hiro

**WAY more than I want to spend, but it's meant to be the pump to end all pumps, so I figured I'd add it and can wait for a big sale.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MiddMan

by MiddMan

I'm currently coming off of an 18-year old Wrench Force pump (photo attached).

The circled red button is nice because it lets the air out of the hose (and only the hose), so when I release the valve lock and pull off, it's less apt to fly off from built-up pressure. It gets the job done, but it only measures psi up to 120. It's also 18 years old :shock: so I have my doubts about its accuracy.
I'll definitely keep it around for the kids' bikes, but now have these new wheels for a TT bike (thank you @nestornnk :D ), as well as my regular Campagnolo Bora 50s, I'd like a good quality pump.

There are a lot of nice "over-built" pumps out there, and I'm sure they're all great. But perhaps the most important concern, as mentioned, is having a SECURE chuck that is not going to fly off under pressure and damage my wheels or frame. Ideally I will keep it around the $100 range or less. I just mentioned Silca since it seems a lot of people swear by them. Thanks guys for all your recommendations.
Attachments
Old floor pump
Old floor pump

dim

by dim

Silca Superpista Digital Floor Pump
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

The other thing you want to get if possible are threaded valve extenders. They provide for a much better grip for the chuck, regardless of the pump you’re using. I certainly have and use both but for a reliable hold the threaded are better.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Grobar

by Grobar

I am currently owning a specialized air tool comp and it’s the best pump I’ve owned so far

kervelo

by kervelo

I like the Lezyne floor pumps. I have two of them (steel models) and have had no issues with them. I use only the threaded chuck with the bleed valve, so I have no experience of the other chucks.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

The Lezyne guages are way off. Just remove them from your list. SKS, Bontrager, and Specialized both sell nice units, but if you want something nice looking, get the Arundel.
I'd recommend getting a nice "head" if you don't like the one the pump comes with. Just cut or unscrew the old one off and put the new one on.

cerro

by cerro

Grobar wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:14 pm
I am currently owning a specialized air tool comp and it’s the best pump I’ve owned so far
I use one at work and are impressed how such a cheap pump can be so good. The more expensive Specialized pumps doesn't work as good I think.

I use a SKS Airbase since 16 years at home, working really good with new pump head since a couple of years :)

MiddMan

by MiddMan

As @jfranci3 mentions, I’ve also heard that about the Lezyne guages being off, both on this site and elsewhere. SKS seems very reliable but I’m just not sure about how stable the base is on their models.

I admit I’m a sucker for good looks, so the Arundel appeals to me, but I’ve only found one review of it. Silca is impressive and looks good (albeit really expensive for a pump). Just checked out Specialized Air Tool Pro Floor Pump and that could be a contender too. So it’ll probably be one of those three. Has anyone tried Birzman?

kode54

by kode54

This...Ditto.
dim wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:58 pm
Silca Superpista Digital Floor Pump
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Jengaback

by Jengaback

We got given lezyne pumps to use in the shop where I work. The o ring in the chuck does not last at all. I have a birzman maha apogee 3 that I use at home and its faultless

kode54

by kode54

I don't trust most gauges and have a separate pressure gauge to double check. Even my Silca SuperPista Ultimate was off by 10psi. The Silca digital one has been very consistent though.

I use this to frequently double check every once in awhile my tire pressure if I really need to...

https://www.efficientvelo.com/tools/bleedin-gauge
jfranci3 wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:55 pm
The Lezyne guages are way off. Just remove them from your list. SKS, Bontrager, and Specialized both sell nice units, but if you want something nice looking, get the Arundel.
I'd recommend getting a nice "head" if you don't like the one the pump comes with. Just cut or unscrew the old one off and put the new one on.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

jfranci3

by jfranci3

I use 2 inline guages and that quarq do-hickie. I also have a calibrated spring tester.

MiddMan

by MiddMan

@kode54, was it off by +10 psi or -10 psi? I ask because I tend to ride my tires pretty hard. I know that's not the trend nowadays, but what I mean to say is if I pump to 120 psi but its actually 110 psi, I can live with that. In the other direction I'm not so sure. I don't race so perhaps I shouldn't fret too much. That said, I like to be pretty meticulous about my tire pressures, and often ride the front slightly softer than the back.

Let's face it, anything will be a step up from my current pump. But I like the idea of buying one pump and forgetting about it, not worrying about having to replace it in 2 or 3 years' time--save for gaskets or O-orings ocassionally.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

It was -10.

But to Silca’s defense, there really was no question as they sent me a replacement gauge. I had to quantify the discrepancy with someone else’s pump or more importantly, I tested with their digital SuperPista. I got the replacement right away.

Silca’s customer service is top notch. I’ve had a hose replacement when I thought there was leakage somewhere I couldn’t find. The replacement hose remedied the leak. I would’ve never guessed.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc