What Equipment Not to Buy

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

kervelo wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:47 am
blaugrana wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:31 am
robertbb wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:59 am
Valbrona wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:37 am
Places you find Hirth joints:-

1/ Campagnolo cranksets.

2/ Barney Rubble's car.
:unbelievable:

Ultra Torque is an elegant and reliable solution. But haters gonna hate.
Exactly. There are things I might dislike about Campagnolo, but the Ultra Torque cranksets work well and the joint has never given me any trouble. Also, it's easy to replace the bearings with a cheap generic 15€ bearing puller.
Absolutely true. If you have issues with those, you must be doing something wrong.
I'm with Valbrona on this one. The Rogue Mechanic created a business fixing the famous Ultra Torque "click". That wave washer placement is just asking for trouble. If your Ultra Torque cranks are quiet consider yourself lucky. Still, I'd buy them again - they're pretty to look at.

I love this thread. People get a chance to really vent, and so often it is done with outstanding humour.

Happily, I don't have anything to contribute. No real regrets on any of my significant purchases. Perhaps just my prohibition on buying anything but top tier groupsets and parts. Second tier works well, but it just seems the the top stuff serves me better over the long run. I had a mix of Ultegra and Dura Ace pedals spread over 5 bikes. All of the Ultegra pedals developed slight play in the bearings. I could rock the pedal body ever so slightly on the axle. OTOH my Dura Ace pedals, which had the most use by far, showed zero signs of bearing wear - outstanding product. Flawless with many tens of thousands of kms. Out of curiosity I checked my wife's Ultegra pedals and they were all rock solid - she weighs 110 lbs - no surprise there. I gave all my Ultegra pedals to my wife and bought two more sets of DA for myself.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

The rogue mechanic was utterly wrong with every word he posted on the subject, however

by Weenie

pedale

by pedale

RocketRacing wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:25 am
prebsy wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:02 pm
Sock3t wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:30 pm
Don't buy a prebuilt bicycle with the idea you're going to upgrade it later.
X 1000. A lot of bikes look like good deals until you realize you will be selling the cockpit , crankset, wheels.
Not sure i agree. Depends on what you plan to upgrade to/with.

I have personally bought the best frame i can, with the cheapest components specced (in reality, i have gone used for my two exotic builds). I then swap out just about everything for top spec groupset, and exotic light carbin parts. I avoid higher end components oem, because they still do not meet my build standards, so they get swapped out anyway.

Or that is how i logic it.

These days, a new frame is only a few bucks less than the same frame and a full bike. Strip parts off as you aquire dream bike parts, sell them, and you are ahead. Then you get dream bike specs for a everyman price. Twice now i have used mint (used) near top end frames (the top tops are always silly expensive for a few more grams saving... not worth the cost per gram) upgraded to higher specs than top tear factory offerings (way lighter too), for about half the price of the oem top line offerings.
Exactly! Some brands like orbea make only one model of frame and when they spec it with basic components like 105 you get a full bike, ready to roll for pretty much the same price as the naked frame, and maybe all services associated to a LBS

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

I would say for those of us not racing, power meter, heart rate monitor and speed sensor.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

tarmackev

by tarmackev

fromtrektocolnago wrote:I would say for those of us not racing, power meter, heart rate monitor and speed sensor.
Why would that be? If your goal is to be as fast as possible, whether for club runs, sportives or even solo riding then these items have as much merit.
Whose to say a local amateur race deserves more respect than a sportive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maccpres

by maccpres

light weith brakes that don't stop well. first generation KCNC

none

by none

Brakes, who needs them; they only slow you down.

mattr

by mattr

pedale wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:36 am
Exactly! Some brands like orbea make only one model of frame and when they spec it with basic components like 105 you get a full bike, ready to roll for pretty much the same price as the naked frame, and maybe all services associated to a LBS
Get it in last years colours and you can get a full bike for less than the frame in this years colours. Not that i've ever done that........

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

fromtrektocolnago wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:27 am
I would say for those of us not racing, power meter, heart rate monitor and speed sensor.
Or a watch / clock. Who needs to know how long they have been riding. You could do it all on feel.

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

Knowing how fast you’re going is pretty essential, and it comes with virtually every cycle computer. I don’t use power meters, I wear a HRM out of habit but I don’t really pay much attention to it, but if you enjoy doing the whole stats thing then there’s nothing wrong with buying these things. Being a “racer” has nothing to do with it

mattr

by mattr

TBH, i've just bought a PM 18 years after i last turned the pedals in anger. I'll just use it to track fitness, especially as they are now cheap enough to buy (almost) for fun.

So i'll have HRM, power and a speed sensor (and GPS) If PMs were still ~€1000 i'd not have bothered!

spud

by spud

Valbrona wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:37 am
Places you find Hirth joints:-

1/ Campagnolo cranksets.

2/ Barney Rubble's car.
3/ jet turbine engines

Campy UT cranks have never given me any problems, and have the virtue to being very easy to pull apart, relube bearings, and reassemble without any faffing about setting preload etc. If you shop around, you can find very nice, new UT cranks for quite a bit less than Dura Ace, and you can also use alternate suppliers for chain rings without completely ruining the look of the crankset. But they do not easily accommodate out of tolerance press fit BBs.

spud

by spud

While I'm at it, Edco cassettes are pure crap; poor choices of gear steps (2 tooth step at the top of the cassette on a 28 cog?), horrendous shifting, and poor durability. On the bright side, at least I didn't get freehub bight.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Powertap SL+ hubs. 4 replaced under warranty. Each lasted less than 150 miles before the bearings seized. So much money wasted in shipping. So little understanding from the Service department.

by Weenie

mattr

by mattr

tabl10s wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:16 pm
Tune could also be in the mix:
Why? I've seen dozens of hubs with cracked flanges, both radial and crossed lacing. It's far more common with machined hubs and/or radial than anything else, but still. D-A, Record, Chorus, Hope, Mavic, DT Swiss. Even high end complete wheels get cracked flanges occasionally. You don't need to go very far over max spoke tension and you're looking at potential issues.