2019 Izalco Max disc 9.9 or Canyon Aeroad CF SLX disc 9.0 di2

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Papey

by Papey

Hey guys,

Long time lurker first time posting.

Looking at getting a new bike with disc and electronic groupset. Gave myself a budget of around $12,000 aud to get a decent aero-esque bike with either p2m or quarq power meter.

Was initially looking at system six and teammachine but they're $14-15k rrp. Noticed that the two german brands seem pretty well priced for what they offer on the higher spec builds.

Anyway, if there's anyone who's ridden/owns either of the bikes (or someone crazy who owns both!) could give any feedback that'd be awesome.

Regarding the powermeter, I've spent the last two days reading everyone powermeter to death.. pretty sure I'll get either dfour91 with quarq cranks or a p2m with praxis rings and rotor cranks depending on what is cheaper. I was almost tempted to haggle the system six with the p2m NGeco until I saw you had to pay 590euro to 'activate' it... pretty bizzare given the cost of the bike.

Cheers for any helpful contribution!
Papey

djel

by djel

Subscribed as I'm in the same situation and was looking at those 2 bikes although the Focus are a bit hard to find in Western Australia.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Papey

by Papey

what size would you be? I saw a focus 56cm new for $10000 on bikeexchange

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Of all these 4 bikes that you mention, Canyon is the oldest if you talk frameset!
Probably due to update 2020. As far as i know Focus is new for 2019.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

robertbb

by robertbb

Canyon's actively working on a new Aeroad.

Nejmann

by Nejmann

I would look at the madone or the venge if it was me.

Papey

by Papey

wheelsONfire wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:25 pm
Of all these 4 bikes that you mention, Canyon is the oldest if you talk frameset!
Thanks man - thats good to know. The Focus would be a clear winner for me if it had a different colour scheme. Not a fan of the petronas mercedes look.

hannawald

by hannawald

Maybe there will be new Aeroad for Tour de France, you may be sad you did not wait couple of months.
You have a very nice budget to buy pretty much anything..so read on until you fall in love with something:) Nobody can give you advice what to buy..at least unless you say how much you ride, what type of roads, how hilly, average speed/watts..
You can build your bike from scratch, choosing your own components..
With Specialized Venge Pro is the same frame as S Works! (Not the case of Tarmac), there is a Madone, new disc version of Oltre XR4, brand new Look Blade RS, Willier Cento etc..

reedplayer

by reedplayer

hannawald wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:39 am
With Specialized Venge Pro is the same frame as S Works! (Not the case of Tarmac), there is a Madone, new disc version of Oltre XR4, brand new Look Blade RS, Willier Cento etc..
oh yes there are a lot of brands on the market, scott, felt, cube, time..........we could keep going this for hours..... :wink:

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Papey wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:44 am
wheelsONfire wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:25 pm
Thanks man - thats good to know. The Focus would be a clear winner for me if it had a different colour scheme. Not a fan of the petronas mercedes look.
Ah, that's a pity! I like the looks of it. What do you like in terms of color (scheme).
The nice thing about silver is, that when they did a test at cars, they found that silver is actually that color which hides dirt the best.
That's always a good thing :-D
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Papey

by Papey

Its not so much the silver - I like the ultegra di2 frame. It's the turqoise! If they offered the Disc 9.9 with the black frameset (only available in frame only) then we'd be laughing!

I'm planning on using a p2m NGEco with praxis aero chainrings and the black scheme would look ninja

Papey

by Papey

Probs could put this in a new topic, but meh I'll just ask here...
So for a frame, like the izalco max, with a bb86.. if i want to run a 30mm crank instead of 24mm do i just need to get a different bb86 that permits 30mm diameter? Also if I run dura ace but change the chainrings to praxis or something is that going to have any material impact on shifting efficiency.

Thanks for any assistance.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

dcorn

by dcorn

Love my Aeroad disc. I have the 8.0 SLX with Ultegra Di2 and its been a great ride. I direct swapped my Ultegra crank for a rotor 3D24 with power2max NGeco and Praxis rings like you want.

I will agree that the frame design is getting long in the tooth. If I had more time to wait, I would have gotten the new Venge, but it wasn't even revealed when I bought my Canyon. A Venge Pro with Ui2 plus a Rotor ALDHU24/P2M crank setup would be well under your budget and still a $$$ setup.

Papey

by Papey

So since the start of this post im growing slightly weary of the focus. maybe its worth a little extra for BMC or cervelo

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com