Is it time to just ride?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

robertbb wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:39 am
I'm one of those people that think 2015+ Campy C/R/SR 11 is the perfect groupset and will use it till death.
I think that is part imprinting like a baby duck (we are drawn to the cars or music of our youth for example), and part maturity of finding what works for you, and realizing that you do not NEED more.

Where it can work against some is when truly better innovations do come out and we reject them due to tradition/dogma. However, that only matters when our goal is chasing seconds. Bigger, better does not increase the fundimental enjoyment of riding.

In cars, i appreciate modern cars, but i find huge joy driving raw vintage sports cars. I enjoy them because they are flawed, and harder to drive, require manual gear shifting (an art done well), and are full of personality. But a modern sports car is faster, and easier to drive. Computers are superior, but they detatch you.

Maybe cars and bikes are not a great comparison, because i think that all bikes have a vintage/connected feel. They are all kind of like vintage cars. And all shifting, mechanical or electronic, is kind of just pressing a paddle to shift. Maybe ebikes are more akin to modern cars.

AJS914

by AJS914

People get caught up with analyzing and fretting over tiny details.

Going from 11 speed to 12 speed isn't going to make anyone faster or be the difference between winning and losing a race. The other one I see a lot is fretting over a 25mm or 27mm width rim and worrying about the 105% rule and the 2 watts they would save. It's great to buy optimal equipment but in the end one is worrying about 1 or 2mm or 2 or 3 watts. It's very close to meaningless.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robeambro

by robeambro

AJS914 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:44 pm
People get caught up with analyzing and fretting over tiny details.

Going from 11 speed to 12 speed isn't going to make anyone faster or be the difference between winning and losing a race. The other one I see a lot is fretting over a 25mm or 27mm width rim and worrying about the 105% rule and the 2 watts they would save. It's great to buy optimal equipment but in the end one is worrying about 1 or 2mm or 2 or 3 watts. It's very close to meaningless.
I know that you don't mean it, but I think it's necessary to specify a few things.
From your post, it almost sounds as if aero-weenism would be a sin, while obsessing over grams and posting long discussions with pics of components weighed individually & spending several thousands dollars to save a few grams would be healthy.

At least being an aero-weenie *usually* costs far less. And in the majority of cases, it will even bring a higher return in terms of incremental performance.

Anyway, to each their own little obsession. As I said above, if one doesn't subtract time and money to other important things in life, then whatever keeps the passion for cycling alive and make us go and ride, is welcome.

AJS914

by AJS914

I'm totally in line with aero though, I think, one still needs to look at the big picture. Like, if you are riding alone doing training rides does it really make a difference whether you have 25mm or 28mm rims and save those 2 watts? Ok, you finished your 2 hour ride 15 seconds faster.

I actually don't fall in line with the gram weenies either! Actually, I appreciate a well executed weight weenie project like I appreciate a piece of art but I will never tune my own parts. For me personally, I don't see the cost benefit of spending thousands on boutique parts to achieve that last percent or two of weight savings. Me + my bike weighs 97,500 grams. Saving 500 grams is a 1/2 percent improvement. It's probably a 15 second difference on most climbs.

In either case those 15 seconds aren't important to me and not worth paying a lot of money for but others may want to buy every second they can. I support it. Just don't fret over those 2mm or 15 seconds. Just go buy the new fancy wheels and be done with it.

robertbb

by robertbb

RocketRacing wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:19 pm
robertbb wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:39 am
I'm one of those people that think 2015+ Campy C/R/SR 11 is the perfect groupset and will use it till death.
I think that is part imprinting like a baby duck (we are drawn to the cars or music of our youth for example), and part maturity of finding what works for you, and realizing that you do not NEED more.

Right. It comes down to figuring out what you need/want vs what marketing and "society" is telling you that you need/want. That's worth re-reading several times and applying to everything in life - not just cycling.

Personally, I've determined that Campy 11 REV 2015+ rim brake groupsets meet all my needs for gearing, servicability, speed of shift, preciseness of shift, stopping power, weight, ergonomics, aesthetics and durability and settled on Chorus as my groupset of choice which for a bunch of reasons I think is a better overall group than Record or Super Record, at any price (which I better not say that too loudly as it will probably get me flamed here :lol:)

I will say though that I laugh inside when people talk about the "nostalgia" of a particular groupset (e.g. Record or Dura Ace). As though riding something that has that marque printed on it somehow connects them to entirely different products used in a bygone era by Italian or American men riding steel bikes up mountains) - they are *not* the same.

Anyway, take a step back, separate your thinking from the logos and branding and look at the offering in front of you. Then whatever your personal criteria is - apply it.

That said, I would only ever consider changing groups if one became available that met all the following criterea:

1) Wireless (if I'm going electronic, I'm not using wires between shifter and derailleurs - simple. Wires between derailleurs and an internal battery is OK)
2) 13 speed, with a cassette from 12-32 (or 34) with the all important 16t cog, an 18t cog, and sensible jumps to 32/34.
3) All of the above with rim brakes

If it aint all of the above, I aint switching. That's me telling the vendor what I want, not the vendor telling me what I should want. And someone doesn't build it - *f##k* 'em, I'll stay where I am.

TonyM

by TonyM

You have learned a lot about bikes.

Now it’s time to learn about yourself at biking.
Learn your body and how it responds to training etc....
And maybe learn to enjoy biking.

Stendhal

by Stendhal

I admit I'm as buy-conscious as anyway, but fortunately I've reached a happy point and do not see any room for improvement on my current bike.

To me, the point at which riding moves past the fun, just ride stage concerns a different aspect of a bike: the power meter. It's fun to measure speed and distance and elevartion and grade while biking, but crossing the line to power measurement make a bike ride a training session \ work \ worry. I'm not a racer though.
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

It's pretty easy to end up just riding for pleasure - when you get tired of always pushing hard or if you've blinged-out your bike/things get to a point where it becomes stupid expensive.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Going full blown WW is a disease. You have invented yourself the excuses of spending lots for grams. When something new comes out, you must update.
I don't know how/ or if aero nerds are suffering the same?
However, the quest and expenses of this behaviour is a disease and vanity.
I atleast admit i'm pending on trying to maintain logic, but the curiousity is strong(er)
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.