Budget : $3000. Build the lightest bike possible.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

SloRacer

by SloRacer

Canyon bikes as a whole setup are light, but the frame isn't super light to have an even lighter bike when the bike wants to upgrade itself.

Supersix Evo won't isn't very light as a stock bike, but the frame is suuper light to be upgraded to a lighter bike.
This are the conclusions I can draw after some research..

StanK

by StanK

Interesting. Can you give some examples, in a similar price class? What exactly are the differences?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SloRacer

by SloRacer

StanK wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:31 am
Interesting. Can you give some examples, in a similar price class? What exactly are the differences?
Ok.

So let's compare a Canyon Ultimate CF SL 8.0 ($2200) and a Supersix Evo 105 ($2100).

Canyon weighs in at 6.9 kg (CLAIMED), and Evo at 7.83 kg (from another website).

So canyon has a lot of carbon components (seatpost, handelbar-integrated) , better wheels than the Evo (Stock wheels on Canyon are I think 300 grams lighter than the Evo I think. Could be 250 as well).

But the thing is, that the CF SL frame weighs 940 grams (54 cm) while the Evo comes in at 750 grams.

Now 200 grams is not much, but it is pretty significant. If you want to upgrade later, consider a 200 gram penalty for the Canyon frame.

So If you spec both the frames out the same in future, canyon will be 200 grams heavier.

So get a Supersix Evo if you really want a light bike in the near future.
Stock bike, Canyon is light. Very light. But in the long run, the frame does hinder in some way.

Kumppa

by Kumppa

If you think things like that why would you just get in first case CF SLX frame which is same weight than Evo. No point to buy bike budget bike just becouse of frameset and upgrade later on every part on it.

raisinberry777

by raisinberry777

SloRacer wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:09 am
But the thing is, that the CF SL frame weighs 940 grams (54 cm) while the Evo comes in at 750 grams.
That's the Hi-Mod version of the Supersix Evo. The regular version (which is on the 105 bike you're comparing to) comes in at 972g with a 332g fork, see here:

viewtopic.php?t=145435

SloRacer

by SloRacer

Kumppa wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:17 am
If you think things like that why would you just get in first case CF SLX frame which is same weight than Evo. No point to buy bike budget bike just becouse of frameset and upgrade later on every part on it.
It's a CF SL , not SLX.

SloRacer

by SloRacer

raisinberry777 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:22 am
SloRacer wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:09 am
That's the Hi-Mod version of the Supersix Evo. The regular version (which is on the 105 bike you're comparing to) comes in at 972g with a 332g fork, see here:

viewtopic.php?t=145435
Ok, I take back my answer. Let me come up with another example.

StanK

by StanK

alcatraz wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:28 am
... Set your goal straight ...
I agree to that.
But sometimes, over time, things may go in other directions.

If you want only new, I think is best to just find whole bike and buy it. It is rarely gonna be cheaper (and same quality) if you build it, part by part. Canyon is almost always good option (I seriously looking at them 2 years ago, when I was buying bike) - not that expensive and with some very good (low) weight.

But, If you go that way, it would be unwise start changing many parts in order to shave some significant weight.

In the end I didn't buy Canyon, I opted for second hand (almost as new), saving at aprox. $ 1500 (for a $ 3000 bike), and now im I end up with 6,4kg bike (with 300g pedals, which make it, for sales point - 6,1kg) for aprox. same $ 3000 spend in total. I changed literally everything.

In short, for same money I got 1kg lighter bike. Of, course, I needed to sell changed parts, which I did, almost all by now, that's the only hassle.

Frankly, I didn't think of upgrading my bike when I maked purchase. I was just try to buy lighter as possible with very good groupset. I picked up bug later, down the road. ... :twisted: :mrgreen: