New S-Works Exos shoes

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Sock3t

by Sock3t

kgt wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:29 am

I don't have to try a 150gr shoe to argue that comfort and strength are compromised as I don't have to try a 750gr wheelset to argue that stiffness and strength are compromised. I really hope you enjoy them.
Congrats on your baseless argument and adding to the fodder of meaningless opinions.

I'll continue using my 150gr shoe that fits great and feels awesome. I'll be training on them this week and racing on them this weekend.

You'll be living in your fantasy land.

by Weenie

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Sock3T- you have no discomfort on the top of the heel cup? The material there is a hard vinyl. Even when not rubbing I can feel the hardness of the vinyl through my socks.

The strength and support on this shoe are superb. There’s no power loss on these despite the ridiculously low weight. BUT I think one unfortunate thing happened. The marketing guys said we have a weight target of 150g for a size 42. The engineers went to work and they omitted padding on the top of the heel pad in order to hit the target weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kgt

by kgt

Sock3t wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:40 pm
kgt wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:29 am

I don't have to try a 150gr shoe to argue that comfort and strength are compromised as I don't have to try a 750gr wheelset to argue that stiffness and strength are compromised. I really hope you enjoy them.
Congrats on your baseless argument and adding to the fodder of meaningless opinions.

I'll continue using my 150gr shoe that fits great and feels awesome. I'll be training on them this week and racing on them this weekend.

You'll be living in your fantasy land.
Why don't you relax and enjoy your rides? I can have any opinion I want. I am not lobotomized by marketing yet.

Sock3t

by Sock3t

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:57 pm
Sock3T- you have no discomfort on the top of the heel cup? The material there is a hard vinyl. Even when not rubbing I can feel the hardness of the vinyl through my socks.

The strength and support on this shoe are superb. There’s no power loss on these despite the ridiculously low weight. BUT I think one unfortunate thing happened. The marketing guys said we have a weight target of 150g for a size 42. The engineers went to work and they omitted padding on the top of the heel pad in order to hit the target weight.

I haven't - but I WILL be looking out.

I wear super thin Kallisto team socks and so far haven't had an issue.

However, I DO have some stretching of the toe box on my right shoe - the left is fine.

ryanw

by ryanw

So bad for £450 shoes! I’d be taking them straight back for a refund.
'16 Cervelo S5 - 6,650g RIP
'17 Focus Mares Force 1 - 7,170g
'19 Cervelo S5 Disc - 7,460g

IG: RhinosWorkshop - Check it out for all my custom builds :thumbup:

:!: Ride Southern Spain Cycling Holidays *£445 for 7 Nights* :!:

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Thanks Sock3T for the pics. And thanks for keeping me informed on your heel cup. I’ll be doing another ride today and see if the heel pads I added will help.

Curiously I also have an anomaly on the right shoe, but it’s a small dimple not a stretch of the material. But I’m not concerned about it. With my foot in the shoe it’s not noticeable. I’m a lot more concerned about the heel cup.

dim

by dim

maybe the new DMT KR1 might be a better option? .... weighs a bit more at 240g but might be a lot more comfortable and they are a lot cheaper?
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

kgt

by kgt

Mavic Cosmic SL is a good alternative too:

size 47:

https://bikerumor.com/2018/06/18/mavic- ... hoes-more/

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I finished my fourth ride today and sadly these are not working out for me. It’s unfortunate as these are phenomenal when climbing out of the saddle. They are out-of-this-world light.

I will likely try the S-Works 7 next but now I worry if my heel cup issue is specific to S-Works shoes. I have no such issue with Sidis.

Other Exos owners please post your impressions on the heel cups here. Thanks.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Hi Guys,

I need a bit of help. I'm now wondering if my heel cup hotspot issue is one of sizing and not the fault of the shoes. I went from a Sidi 41 to a Exos 40.5. Both shoes fit identically and have the same size insole. But I'm wondering if I just need a bit of extra length on the Exos to help relieve pressure at the top of the heel cup. I'm considering ordering another pair of the Exos in a size 41. If the 41 works out I will keep it and return the 40.5. I have never had any shoe fitment issues as I've worn Sidis all my life, and I have no fitment issues with Sidis. Also I've come to realize that trying a pair of shoes in the store doesn't guarantee good fitment. The only true test is to do a three hour ride. I love the performance of these shoes too much and I'm willing to give it another try in a different size. Am I on the right track?

guyc

by guyc

The heel cup design looks quite different to the S Works 7 - it finishes higher (the 7) and looks a little more padded. With the caveat that all fit is personal, I haven't had any heel cup issues on my 7's in the year I've been running them.

FWIW, I was a 43.5 in Sidi, and I'm a 43 in the 7's.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Thanks for the feedback Guyc. Yes when I looked at the 7 pics the cup looks way higher than the Exos. In contract the Sidis are much lower but I've never had any heel lifts on the Sidis. I did try on the 7 in 40.5 and 41 at the store, and prefer the 40.5. However at that time I didn't notice any issues with heel cups. I wasn't paying any attention to the heel cups since I haven't even bought the Exos then.

I really don't know if my issue is specific to the 40.5 Exos, or Exos in general, or Specialized shoes in general. This is killing me. I could just keep riding my Sidis but they feel like bricks after having ridden the Exos.

guyc

by guyc

Could it also be a consequence of the single BOA which is placed fairly high, and thus drawing pressure to the top of the shoe?

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

No. I've tried different BOA tightness settings to no avail. I've also tried removing the entire insole to no avail. Maybe it's the lack of padding (my Sidis are super soft around the top of the heel cup). Looking at the 7 pics it appears that the material used at the heel cup is the same as the Exos except it's more padded. S-Works use a vinyl material whereas Sidis use a much softer fabric.

MarkTwain

by MarkTwain

kgt wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:24 pm
Why don't you relax and enjoy your rides? I can have any opinion I want. I am not lobotomized by marketing yet.
No, but you have been on this troll job - supported without any facts - for, literally, years now.

You're welcome to an opinion. We're welcome to point out the irony of you having the audacity to call someone else deluded.

by Weenie