New S-Works Exos shoes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Dr.Dos wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:22 am
The Giros of the same weight do not have this. So crinklemania is not a necessary evil.
Except the Giros have no dial, so we're really not comparing apples to apples. I also stated "part". Not 'the sole requirement'. You have been around long enough to know at light weights there will always be some compromise. Whether it be with velcro (techlace) or the upper (Exos). I should add the pics make it look really excessive. Looking down from the saddle its barely noticeable. Even less so from a few paces away.

But hey good old WW and taking quotes out of context :wink: :lol:

Dr.Dos

by Dr.Dos

Tinea Pedis wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:20 am
Dr.Dos wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:22 am
The Giros of the same weight do not have this. So crinklemania is not a necessary evil.
Except the Giros have no dial, so we're really not comparing apples to apples. I also stated "part". Not 'the sole requirement'. You have been around long enough to know at light weights there will always be some compromise. Whether it be with velcro (techlace) or the upper (Exos). I should add the pics make it look really excessive. Looking down from the saddle its barely noticeable. Even less so from a few paces away.

But hey good old WW and taking quotes out of context :wink: :lol:
I prefer Techlace over 500 EUR of crinkles every day. This is what I'm saying.

Question: where did I quote anybody?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Dr.Dos wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:30 am

Then say that. Don't strawman the point at hand.

Dr.Dos

by Dr.Dos

Tinea Pedis wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:57 am
Dr.Dos wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:30 am

Then say that. Don't strawman the point at hand.
Uuuh? Without the crinkles, these kicks would be amazing.

Sock3t

by Sock3t

ITT: People buy $500 shoes. They're overall happy but are getting to know them

Also ITT: Trolls come out of the woodwork to prove their cheaper shoes are "better" "Because marketing, laces bro" "Boa dials suck bro" "Crinkles bro".

itsacarr

by itsacarr

I don't really have a horse in the race but I have worn these shoes. And they are most certainly on the silly side of light for what I have ever seen IRL. I have trouble imagining a material being that flexible and light (uppers) without expecting some deformity. I am no materials scientist but with the feel and function of these kicks im not surprised.

I like all the new options on the market right now. These are certainly a cool addition to that market IMO.
Just ride ..

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I got the 41 but still feel a bit on the small size (not enough width in the mid foot and still too small of a heel cup). I think because Dyneema doesn’t stretch, one needs to order a size up. So I’ve ordered another pair in 41.5. Hopefully third time is a charm. I haven’t ridden the 41 yet. I will hang on to them until my 41.5 arrives. I absolute adore these shoes so I’m determined to get the fit right. As I mentioned earlier I wear a normal width Sidi in 41.

Also after having two pairs on hand with different colors I personally like the color in white better. They look classier but perhaps a downside is more cleaning.

I don’t really care what others think about these shoes, especially if they don’t own a pair. I come here to post my findings because I love them very much. For those that don’t own them, well, they don’t really know what they are missing

Tomorrow with better light I’ll take a photo of both colors and post it here, to help other decide which color they like better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by pdlpsher1 on Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:39 am, edited 3 times in total.

Sock3t

by Sock3t

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:39 am
I got the 41 but still feel a bit on the small size (not enough width in the mid foot and still too small of a heel cup). I think because Dyneema doesn’t stretch, one needs to order a size up. So I’ve ordered another pair in 41.5. Hopefully third time is a charm. I haven’t ridden the 41 yet. I will hang on to them until my 41.5 arrives. I absolute adore these shoes so I’m determined to get the fit right. As I mentioned earlier I wear a normal width Sidi in 41.

Also after having two pairs on hand with different colors I personally like the color in white better. They look classier but perhaps a downside is more cleaning.

I don’t really care what others think about these shoes, especially if they don’t own a pair. I come here to post my findings because I live them very much. For those that don’t own them, well, they don’t really know what they are missing Image

Tomorrow with better light I’ll take a photo of both colors and post it here, to help other decide which color they like better.

Right on. I enjoy your attitude.

I raced last night in mine and love them. Comfy, cool, and fit great.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

The fit issue has me perplexed. From my experienced with upper material - and the Dyneema - there's certainly an elastic component to it. I also see how it's in any way rigid enough (especially when coupled with the lack of rentention around the forefoot) to be a limiter and causing fit pain. Of course these are not my feet. But I do have quite a few hundred experiences now with fitting so you get to know the lay of the land.

A half size is width. It won't help the heel counter. But will help the midfoot situation. Did you try a 42?

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Tinea Pedis- thanks for the comments. The 40.5 actually feels not too bad. However before I commit to a size I wish to have the 41.5 on-hand to try. The other issue is that my left foot has slightly more length and volume than the right foot. In a heavily padded Sidi the foot size discrepancy isn't a problem. But on the Exos the heel cup fit is tighter on the left shoe. Right now with the 40.5, with the BOA completely loosened and with my left foot pushed forward as far as it'll go, I cannot insert my index finger into the shoe behind the heel. On the right foot/shoe I can insert the index finger easily. So this finger exercise confirms my slightly larger left foot. Also with a slightly larger shoe I can more comfortably wear thicker socks, as I always do in colder temps. I'm pretty certain I will like the 41.5 better. Stay tuned.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Here are my two pairs in black and white.

kgt

by kgt

Out of curiosity, how much did you spend for both?

guyc

by guyc

£450 a pair here in England.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

£450 is equivalent to $589 USD. I think in the U.S. we get them the cheapest at $500 plus tax. Tax is 3.7% or $18.50 since I live outside of city. Shipping is free. Over here one can buy direct from Specialized.com and get a 30-day satisfaction guarantee. Or one can buy from a Specialized dealer but all returns must be handled through the dealer. I'm not sure if Specialized.com will ship overseas.

I have a third pair coming in a size 41.5. So thus far I've paid over $1,500 but I'm only keeping one pair and will receive a full refund on two pairs.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

And that's why shoes cost $500 these days :shock:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com