New S-Works Exos shoes

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
kgt

by kgt

Great contribution to the thread, congrats.

Sock3t

by Sock3t

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:32 am
Hi Guys,

I need a bit of help. I'm now wondering if my heel cup hotspot issue is one of sizing and not the fault of the shoes. I went from a Sidi 41 to a Exos 40.5. Both shoes fit identically and have the same size insole. But I'm wondering if I just need a bit of extra length on the Exos to help relieve pressure at the top of the heel cup. I'm considering ordering another pair of the Exos in a size 41. If the 41 works out I will keep it and return the 40.5. I have never had any shoe fitment issues as I've worn Sidis all my life, and I have no fitment issues with Sidis. Also I've come to realize that trying a pair of shoes in the store doesn't guarantee good fitment. The only true test is to do a three hour ride. I love the performance of these shoes too much and I'm willing to give it another try in a different size. Am I on the right track?
I agree.

I would try a 41, and possible a 41.5.

I Wear a 43 in my Pearl Izumi Pro Leader 3. I went to try all the sizes on, and I could squeeze into a 41.5 but I felt it was too tight. I bought a 42.

by Weenie

JeffK

by JeffK

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:05 am
No. I've tried different BOA tightness settings to no avail. I've also tried removing the entire insole to no avail. Maybe it's the lack of padding (my Sidis are super soft around the top of the heel cup). Looking at the 7 pics it appears that the material used at the heel cup is the same as the Exos except it's more padded. S-Works use a vinyl material whereas Sidis use a much softer fabric.
Is there perhaps a stack height difference between your old shoes and the EXOs? If the stack height is lower, your foot could be pointed down to compensate and causing rubbing in that area. Maybe just need to lower the saddle? I have seen this before when swapping between shoes.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Sock3T- thanks. I've ordered a 41, this time in white. Hopefully second time is a charm. Will report back after a few rides on the new pair.

JeffK- I don't think the problem is stack. The pressure is constant no matter how my foot is positioned. I used to have an old habit of pedaling with my toes pointed down but I've eliminated that habit a while back. But thanks for the comment.

Sock3t

by Sock3t

Sock3t wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:38 pm
Specialized have emailed me back and said this is normal.

guyc

by guyc

That would drive me NUTS

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Sock3t wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:58 pm

It is. That's the nature of the upper material - and part and parcel of making a pair of kicks this light. What that means to you (if you like it or not) is certainly subjective. But it's not a manufacturing flaw. And is consistent across all the shots of the Exos kicks (so not a bait and switch).

Dr.Dos

by Dr.Dos

Tinea Pedis wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:49 am
Sock3t wrote:

It is. That's the nature of the upper material - and part and parcel of making a pair of kicks this light. What that means to you (if you like it or not) is certainly subjective. But it's not a manufacturing flaw. And is consistent across all the shots of the Exos kicks (so not a bait and switch).
The Giros of the same weight do not have this. So crinklemania is not a necessary evil.

Sock3t

by Sock3t

Tinea Pedis wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:49 am
Sock3t wrote:

Yea I'm good with it too.

The shoes are brillient to wear. Super comfy and they're VERY cool.

It's already going above 30 degrees C here.

miltmaster3

by miltmaster3

Sock3t wrote:
Sock3t wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:38 pm
Ha ha normal for 500 euros !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
πατα τραβα ρε

Sock3t

by Sock3t

Dr.Dos wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:22 am

The Giros of the same weight do not have this. So crinklemania is not a necessary evil.
No BOA dial, no care. If I can't change the feel on the fly, then I don't care how much it weighs.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Sock3t wrote:
Dr.Dos wrote:

No BOA dial, no care. If I can't change the feel on the fly, then I don't care how much it weighs.
I wear lace ups almost exclusively now and have never thought I need to adjust them.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

Sock3t

by Sock3t

Nefarious86 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:45 pm
Sock3t wrote:
Dr.Dos wrote:

I wear lace ups almost exclusively now and have never thought I need to adjust them.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
I have over the top OCD.

It sucks,

Meyercord

by Meyercord

Sock3t wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:30 pm
Dr.Dos wrote:

You can adjust the giro equivalent on the fly quite easily. Only downside to the giros is the uppers have more stretch to them. If exos fit me I would switch to them.

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

Having been on Sworks for years and always appreciating being able to adjust on the fly, like Nef I'm now on lace ups and never need to adjust.

Makes me wonder if boas just don't hold tension as well as they should or maybe the boa doesn't move but the cable redistributes tension as you ride.

But really it comes down to personal preference.

by Weenie