New S-Works Exos shoes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

guyc wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:13 am
£450 a pair here in England.
That's the 99, surely?

Standard EXOS is $600 AUD. Which is 330 pound.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

guyc

by guyc

Sadly not

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Specia ... Shoes/LD3P

The standard 7’s are £330 here. The 6’s were shown at £600 but I haven’t seen any UK retailers even listing them.

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Curious as to how the forefoot volume in these compare to Shimano in regular and wide. I now wear Shimano 44 wide. Any ideas?

Sock3t

by Sock3t

Raced in mine yesterday.

Simply brilliant shoe. SUPER comfy - great support on the heelcup and on the top of my foot. The toe box is SUPER roomy, it took some getting used to but I really love it.

They're so stiff. Also, being able to feel the wind on my feet is so great for cooling off. It wasn't bad weather, 23-24C all day, but the sun was really strong. My feet breathing is super underrated.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Sock3t wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:14 pm
great support on the heelcup
(without this meaning to come across as anything personal)

There is no actual structure within the heel counter to offer this. Not that I believe in super stiff heel counters in cycling shoes (given what goes on in a cycling kick when riding). But to say the heelcup has great support, when there is nothing there designed to really be supportive, really does make a mockery of brands who do in fact make a supportive heel cup.

If a supportive and firm heel counter is a must, these are not the kicks for you.
dgasmd wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:44 am
Curious as to how the forefoot volume in these compare to Shimano in regular and wide. I now wear Shimano 44 wide. Any ideas?
I have a very broad foot and the regular 45 is fine with respect to upper volume - I feel though I could have gone a 45.5 as the forefoot sole feels like it could be a touch wider. Overall not a narrow fit type shoe.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

On the heel counter of the Exos...when I tighten the BOA it pulls the heel fabric up and forward thus forming a very tight support around the heel. So I do agree with Sock3T that the heel counter has good support. This heel support is also giving me the hot spot at the top of the heel cup. Dyneema has no stretch and I think this is also somewhat of a downside if the shoe isn't sized perfectly for the feet. Hence the reason for me wanting to try another 0.5 size up. On a 'normal' shoe such as my Sidi wires there's so much padding that a little bit of misfit here and there won't cause any major issues. But since Dyneema has no stretch (great for support, maybe not too good for a comfortable fit) it's very important to get the right sizing and fit. Just my opinion but I'm no shoe expert.

My 41.5 arrives tomorrow and I'll be giving it a good test on fit.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Or for half the money (£225 here in the UK), you can get the Giro Prolight TechLace.

I tried on the Exos but just couldn’t justify their value, especially with how sh*t they look after a weeks riding with the stretching.

The Giro’s came in at 197g each for a size 46. They’re like wearing supportive slippers. My now go-to climbing / hot weather shoes.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:24 am
On the heel counter of the Exos...when I tighten the BOA it pulls the heel fabric up and forward thus forming a very tight support around the heel.
It tightens around your Achilles tendon - not your heel. The subtalar joint is where the movement occurs, which is much further down. So lets be clear, it's not your "heel" the top part of the upper is holding, it is actually closer to the ankle. And again, there's no structrual integrity in the heel counter to provide that support.

Also this is not a stretch issue but a friction one. The Dyneema does stretch. It does not, however, seems to have a low coefficient of friction. Which is why it's aggrevating compared to your Sidis. As we spoke about earlier, at this weight there are going to a 'pick your poison' trade off.

I am not saying this to rubbish the product. And I'll stand corrected on any parts of it. This is just hashtag real reviews and info from the company. Stated as a Podiatrist, an Exos owner and a dude who trys to make cycling shoes.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Got my 41.5 today. The fit is much better. My left foot is larger than my right foot. I'm not gonna go crazy and buy two pairs and use the smaller 41 on the right foot. So a pair of 41.5 will do. Or perhaps someone will want to trade their right 41 white with my right 41.5 white?

Weight savings is fantastic. My Sidi in size 41 with cleats weigh 636g. The Exos in 41.5 with cleats weigh 352g, for a savings of 284g. I'm doing a big climbing ride tomorrow and I look forward to my first ride on a size 41.5.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Just a quick update. Got a lot of climbing and miles on my 41.5 in white. The fit of the larger size is great and I really enjoy the lightness and comfort of these shoes. While I didn't initially find these shoes to be visually attractive I've grown on how nicely they look. The soft top above the toes won't stay rigid like normal shoes but it doesn't bother me. They are just different in feel and look. Looking forward to logging many miles on these.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Just a quick update on my Exos. I have a somewhat high foot arch. Rather than spend a lot of money in a custom orthodic footbed with more arch support I purchased a pair of foam arch booster inserts for $7.50. I glued them to the bottom of the S-Works footbed using contact cement. They work great. Durability has been great thus far after many miles. Here's a pic of how the shoes look as of today.

Sock3t

by Sock3t

You've kept them clean!

My right shoe has a tear. I emailed Specialized, they're sending me a new shoe.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Sock3t wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 3:33 am
You've kept them clean!

Thanks. Sorry to hear about your tear but thankfully Specialized is taking care of you. How did the tear happen? Was it from an accident or a manufacturing defect?

Sock3t

by Sock3t

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 3:38 am
Sock3t wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 3:33 am
You've kept them clean!

Thanks. Sorry to hear about your tear but thankfully Specialized is taking care of you. How did the tear happen? Was it from an accident or a manufacturing defect?
I'm not entirely sure. I didn't go down at all. I found I had a tear in my right shoe, in the rubber, and also the dyneema is pulling away from the rubber. I think it's a manufacturing issue.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com