New S-Works Exos shoes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Sock3t

by Sock3t

ichobi wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:05 am
Sw7 are not really aero. The boa stick out like sore thumbs. The material on sw7 should also be much more sturdy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Do you have verifiable research outling the aero claim you've made?

ichobi

by ichobi

What aero claim? I said they are not aero. They are not marketed as aero shoes, compared to the sworks sub 6 (laced) for example. Tests have shown laced shoes to be more aero than boa equipped ones which in itself is pretty obvious if you look at the boa protrusion.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Sock3t

by Sock3t

ichobi wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:21 pm
What aero claim? I said they are not aero. They are not marketed as aero shoes, compared to the sworks sub 6 (laced) for example. Tests have shown laced shoes to be more aero than boa equipped ones which in itself is pretty obvious if you look at the boa protrusion.
No need to get upset. Just asked for verifiable evidence...I noticed you didn't post any.

ichobi

by ichobi

Not upset by any means. Sorry if it came out that way.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

ichobi

by ichobi

No surprise there since they are mostly dyneema fabric with no structural insert? The question is will they look like that when you are wearing them, and how stiff during the upstroke.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

ichobi wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:29 pm
No surprise there since they are mostly dyneema fabric with no structural insert? The question is will they look like that when you are wearing them, and how stiff during the upstroke.
The toebox (toe sleeve?) isn't Dyneema. The gray sailcloth-like fabric in the mid and rear part of the shoe is the layered Dyneema where the upper needs to support the foot, the toe sleeve is a different, but still unreinforced, material that does stretch sightly.

sychen

by sychen

Karvalo wrote:
ichobi wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:29 pm
The toebox (toe sleeve?) isn't Dyneema. The gray sailcloth-like fabric in the mid and rear part of the shoe is the layered Dyneema where the upper needs to support the foot, the toe sleeve is a different, but still unreinforced, material that does stretch sightly.
Yes the toe box is not dyneema.. And have already been reported to stretch...

It would mean a super comfortable fit... With zero hotspots. Downside is longevity... As a shorty... Small bike with overlap will kill this shoe quick smart.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

sethjs

by sethjs

Tried them on today. I'm usually a 43 wide. They only come in regular. I had ample room in the toe box. But they were too narrow mid foot (where I actually don't usually have width problems). The toe box just crinkles. It's super soft. Don't know how well it'd hold up to toe overlap contact.

Felt soft and comfy otherwise though for me the tongue may come up too high at the transition to the shin - sometimes I get too much rub there from shoes.

Sphyre shoes in 43 wide are my normal go to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Js2

by Js2

Had a pair of EU 41 and EU 41.5 that I tried extensively in indoor trainer for earlier today. My impressions were:

+ damn, its light, like almost not wearing anything except for the sole below
+ heel lock is still present despite the heel area looking wider
+ looks sexy af (minus the weird fabric on toe box)

- The front area where the dynema ends seems to be lower in volume (compared to S works 7), padded tongue also ends here. The stitching and bulk right at this spot might have contributed to the binding feel. Sizing up to 41.5 because of this, feels ok now. I would assume this is problematic for people wanting to use their own custom insole if its thicker than the ones that come with the shoe.

- Single boa dial makes it finicky to get even pressure through out the foot. Had to scrunch my toe down when tightening so it doesn't overly tighten the front.

- Durability is questionable, I don't doubt the dynema is burly enough however the toe box is a different story. If you hit anything, impact is going straight into your foot.

- Can feel the front fabric scrunching a bit on top of my toes lol, it's pretty weird. I wish they made this area more solid instead of stretchy.

- During harder and hard efforts I felt my feet were only held down by the heel and that area where the Dynema ends and pressure is not even on the upper like the S works 7. Felt like the top of my foot was pushing into a wire ceiling edge if that makes any sense? Probably mostly due to the difference is material from dynema to the stretchy part of the toe box.

I am going to stick to my S works 7, it is by far the more complete shoe while still being lightweight enough. Can't even imagine what toe overlap would do to the fabric and I'm not keen to find out lol. Hope this helps :beerchug:

Kardinal

by Kardinal

How is the sizing of the exos shoes compared to the sworks 7 - can I order the same size?

guyc

by guyc

That toe box crumple would drive me nuts.

Js2

by Js2

Kardinal wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:49 am
How is the sizing of the exos shoes compared to the sworks 7 - can I order the same size?
I wear S Works 7 41, had to size up to 41.5

kgt

by kgt

guyc wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:16 am
That toe box crumple would drive me nuts.
It really looks ridiculous to say the least...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

If I spend mega bucks on something like shoes which will wear out eventually (and this one will very likely wear out much faster), it better be perfect in every way right out of the box.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk