Spacers not in line - dangerous?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Beaver

by Beaver

Is it dangerous for the steerer to run the bike with a 0.5mm out of line spacer? I can place it perfectly, but after one ride it looks like this again.

I could try to find a matching higher FSA headset spacer, then I can run only one spacer and wouldn't have the problem. But I can only find 15mm ones, not more.
Attachments
Spacers.jpg

2lo8

by 2lo8

If those are solid spacers it shouldn't be much of a problem. If it bothers you, you can add tape to your steerer or the inside of the spacers.
[14lb(6.35kg) of no carbon fiber]
[2lo8.wordpress.com]
Your one-stop source for information and reviews on cheap eBay bike junk.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jugi

by Jugi

In general an average spacer is not very precisely made. For example, I have various "generic carbon spacers" which look identical, but when stacked on top of eachother they seem to have mild variance in outer diameter. There is no risk in running those but if you want a seamless look, hands down the best solution would be to change the two for one of comparable height.

AJS914

by AJS914

I think the issue in this case is that the inside diameter of these spacers is on the wide side. As stated you could try different spacers with a smaller inside diameter or source a single long spacer.

Beaver

by Beaver

Ok, thanks! Unfortunately one 25mm spacer in glossy UD carbon is not easy to source. :(

Does anyone know if this PRO spacer would fit the FSA integrated headset?

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

There is 0 risk from this.
Using Tapatalk

Beaver

by Beaver

Only the risk of a possible gap. ;) Or do you mean the non aligned spacers?

This FSA top cap looks quite flat at the bottom: https://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5 ... C00119.jpg

mattr

by mattr

Jugi wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:58 pm
In general an average spacer is not very precisely made. For example, I have various "generic carbon spacers" which look identical, but when stacked on top of eachother they seem to have mild variance in outer diameter. There is no risk in running those but if you want a seamless look, hands down the best solution would be to change the two for one of comparable height.
So various generic spacers, from various generic manufacturers aren't the same size, inside and out. Who would have thought it ;)

FWIW OP, If you've got the height spot on, just get some decent spacers of the same brand and model that have a more tightly controlled ID a) they won't go out of concentric, and b) they'll have the same OD.

Also, don't get one spacer of exactly the right size, get a 15/5/5/3/2 or something, then you'll have enough flexibility to use a stem with different stack height, account for any injuries you might get, or different shape bars etc. Keep the ones you don't need right now in a labelled bag!

kode54

by kode54

yeah, most of those carbon spacers are loose within a 1-1/8" steerer tube.
I now use Point 1 spacers...exact fit with no wiggle room and super light.
AJS914 wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:07 pm
I think the issue in this case is that the inside diameter of these spacers is on the wide side. As stated you could try different spacers with a smaller inside diameter or source a single long spacer.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I use Tune carbon spacers above stem, they are tight and do not move.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Beaver

by Beaver

The spacers have not been bought individually but as a complete set - but two sets, as I wanted another 10mm spacer later on:

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/rad ... country=48

They look exactely like PRO carbon ud spacers: https://r2-bike.com/PRO-Spacer-Set-UD-Carbon-1-1-8_1

VCRC has a lot of heights, but they seem to be matte ud: https://www.vcrcbike.com/carbon/vcrc-on ... acer-15mm/

I guess, I will have to take a look at the steerer tube to be sure, that the edge of the spacer does not mark it up front.

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

just buy the cheapest 25mm spacer on aliexpress

Beaver

by Beaver

Soooo, checked the steerer, everything fine, not a single mark - so not dangerous. ;)

The two spacers have the same outside diameter, but the inside difference is easily noticable with the eye...

The PRO topcap lacks at least one millimeter stack height/room inside and causes the predicted gap on the headset. :(

I now took a 20mm and 5mm spacer with a closer inside diameter - where do I find a gloss UD 25mm spacer on aliexpress?
Attachments
TopCaps.jpg

AJS914

by AJS914

ebay has tons of spacers.

I really like these Ritchey spacers. They are very slim. Some of those generic spacers are super fat.

https://us.ritcheylogic.com/us_en/bike/ ... et-spacers

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com