Road Tubeless & Air Compressors

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

otoman

by otoman

MikeD wrote:It's volume (not necessarily pressure) that seats tires. Tire inflator chucks are flow restricted. I had to use a high flow air duster nozzle with the valve core removed to seat a set of tires with an air compressor. This is with tubeless tires that were used and I think the beads stretched a little so they didn't make a good seal with the rim bed so they wouldn't pop out to the sides.
+1

Use the high flow “duster” attachment and the valve core removed. I also put in sealant first and roll the tire one full revolution. I keep the valve at 12 o’clock so I’m not blasting air in a puddle of sealant in the tire. The tire will seat, but of course all the air rushes out when you take the compressor tool off of the valve. Core back in then inflate with Prestaflator or floor pump to desired pressure. Works like a charm.

FYI this was using cheap Chinese generic rims as well as Reynolds Attacks with S-Works tubeless tires as well as Schwalbe Pro 1’s on Roval alloy. Also 40mm WTB gravel tires on some crap OEM alloy rims on my CX bike. Hope this helps.
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sethjs

by sethjs

What did you attach to the end of the duster attachment to connect with the presta stem? Which duster head did you buy? Thanks!

dim

by dim

LEZYNE PRESSURE OVER ABS HEAD DRIVE PUMP

Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

OJ

by OJ

sethjs wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:49 pm
What did you attach to the end of the duster attachment to connect with the presta stem? Which duster head did you buy? Thanks!
You didn't ask me, but I'm sharing my 2c anyway.

I don't use any adapter/attachment between the valve core stem and duster gun. I simply remove the valve core and press/aim the duster to the valve stem and blow some air in the tire. I've only used Stand valves, so they may work better than some others when doing it this way.

I use duster gun similar to this https://www.harborfreight.com/pistol-gr ... 63568.html

And yeah...tubeless tends to have an aspect of PITA involved, sometimes even with the regular MTB setups.
http://demarere.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MikeD

by MikeD

sethjs wrote:What did you attach to the end of the duster attachment to connect with the presta stem? Which duster head did you buy? Thanks!
I have two similar to this one, that has a rubber tip. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FVUO4G/re ... B0017JSD34 One worked and one didn't, so I don't know what to tell you. The rubber tip seals fairly well to the valve stem. I almost went to the hardware store to buy a valve and hose etc. to jerry-rig up something to attach to my compressor when I found that duster in my tools.

dcorn

by dcorn

Yup, I got a generic air connection kit that came with the rubber tipped duster. Now that I do some searching, it seems this one with the angled tip would be perfect: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Capri-Tools ... /305304144 The straight one with the finger trigger is a bit hard to get lined up with the valve because of disc rotors.

Even with the compressor, I've had some trouble seating certain tire/wheel combos. Getting the tire beads to catch is the tough part, especially when you have sealant in there already. Wrapping a strap or bungee cord around the tire to hold it tight to the rim usually helps.