Jersey pocket bag

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dgasmd

by dgasmd

C36 wrote:Here in Colombia one of the 10s of local equipment manufacturer build several of those pouches but probably not to the level of compartment you seems to wish.
I took one that I can keep my spare tubular tight and smooth (no risk for the valve to hurt me).

Basic construction BUT iT is as compact as possible on the central pocket, then phone on the right and food on the left (multitool and co2 in the second bottle
Do you have a pict? You seem to be the only one over the years here that uses a spare tubular and one of these. I’m very curious

TheRich

by TheRich

ManekiNico wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:11 pm
kordis123 wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:48 pm
isn't it dangerous to have a pump and some other hard stuff in the back of the jersey? I imagine it might even break the spine
This argument/concern comes up with such frequency when discussing pumps and tools in jersey pockets, I'm inclined to believe it was created by saddle bag manufacturers. If there was empirical evidence that carrying stuff in your jersey was dangerous, you would think that liability-averse jersey makers would have phased out pockets by now, no?
It was created when someone fractured their spine because they fell on the pump in their pack.

Rules be damned, if you're going to carry a pump, put it in the bike. (Can't forget it that way either)

I use a Backcountry Research Tulbag for a multitool and a few spare parts.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

C36

by C36

dgasmd wrote:
C36 wrote:Here in Colombia one of the 10s of local equipment manufacturer build several of those pouches but probably not to the level of compartment you seems to wish.
I took one that I can keep my spare tubular tight and smooth (no risk for the valve to hurt me).

Basic construction BUT iT is as compact as possible on the central pocket, then phone on the right and food on the left (multitool and co2 in the second bottle
Do you have a pict? You seem to be the only one over the years here that uses a spare tubular and one of these. I’m very curious
Currently only the tubular is inside but i previously used it with the co2 and the multitool. It did fit in the central pocket but was a bit tight, I prefer a lot more now with the tubular there and the rest in a Fabric case that replace the second water bottle (or on the side pockets when I need to carry more water)
That’s the size once packed

When I use it with inner tube, everything (co2, tire levers, multitool, tubes) fit in a bit less space than the tubular alone.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

oldturd

by oldturd

ManekiNico wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:11 pm
kordis123 wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:48 pm
isn't it dangerous to have a pump and some other hard stuff in the back of the jersey? I imagine it might even break the spine
This argument/concern comes up with such frequency when discussing pumps and tools in jersey pockets, I'm inclined to believe it was created by saddle bag manufacturers. If there was empirical evidence that carrying stuff in your jersey was dangerous, you would think that liability-averse jersey makers would have phased out pockets by now, no?
I watched as a good friend of mine flew off his bike in front of me, landing on his back with a mini pump in his jersey. He fractured his spine.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

If you flip over your bike high enough to land on your spine on the road and you are a skinny bony cyclist chances are the first bone to touch down is going to fracture.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

corky

by corky

Cycling is so dangerous......I’ve stopped riding

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Has anyone tried the apurcycle dyneema one?
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

pedale

by pedale

https://www.rapha.cc/se/en/shop/repair- ... PUN02XXBLK or https://www.rapha.cc/se/en/shop/reflect ... LEC07LRDGY

I prefer to use a small saddle bag for my tools, but would never ride without the small version of this one. Perfectly size, no fuss and the "bon courage" written in flashy pink inside often makes me smile.

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

I use a JetRoll - styled after old school tool rolls. Lots of sizes, made in the US (if that's your thing). Comes with heavy duty elastics to hold it all together, which I then fasten under seat with a leather toe strap.

https://www.justenoughtools.com/jet-roll---jet-roll-ii

I use the JetRoll II

AJS914

by AJS914

TonyM wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:19 pm
kdawg wrote:
AJS914 wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:19 pm
That doesn’t help much if you have a few bikes. I like a pocket pack better as no matter which bike I take I can’t forget anything that would leave me stranded...
I have 3 road bikes and 3 saddle bags...LOL

Same here, three saddle bags and three pumps - one for each bike. I know myself and if I dont't have a pump and spare tube on each bike there will be a ride where they get forgotten. Plus I'd hate to have to carry a pump in my jersey all the time.

Slack

by Slack

Everyone assumes it won't happen to them until it does, packing your pockets safely is important.

https://www.facebook.com/eddy.king.58/p ... 564796510/

MikeD

by MikeD

kordis123 wrote:What do you guys think, isn't it dangerous to have a pump and some other hard stuff in the back of the jersey? I imagine it might even break the spine if you ever need to do a somersault in an accident.
It can be. I read somewhere that this happened to somebody.

On my bikes, pumps mount on the frame and tools go into a wedge pack under the saddle. I hate carrying stuff in my back pockets, although my cell phone goes there.

C36

by C36

mellowJohnny wrote:I use a JetRoll - styled after old school tool rolls. Lots of sizes, made in the US (if that's your thing). Comes with heavy duty elastics to hold it all together, which I then fasten under seat with a leather toe strap.

https://www.justenoughtools.com/jet-roll---jet-roll-ii

I use the JetRoll II
Quite close from what I use, quite better finished... but 50-70 usd for a pouch seems high (think I paid equivalent of 10-15$)

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

trimenc

by trimenc

What in the world do you guys think you are going to land on if your pockets were empty? I can guarantee you that if you are going over the bars, WHATEVER you may land on will NOT be soft and has the potential to do bodily harm. It has nothing to do with WHAT is carried in the jersey pocket, as most of you admit to carrying your phone back there....please remember that it is made of glass and metal.....that will be very harmful to your back once it is shattered into small pieces. Just saying.....

I, personally will continue to take the risk and carry items in my back pocket for my own convenience. If I should ever go over the bars (again), I will hope that I don't land on a rock, edge of sidewalk, curb, stump, small dog, in-flight pigeon, etc as that would probably break my back and hurt like heck. :)

andreas

by andreas

Bulging jersey pockets and a sagging jersey back look far worse than a saddle bag.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com