Power meter for Campagnolo SR 2014

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Thanos

by Thanos

c60rider wrote:The stages power meters are totally compatible with pre and post 2015 chainsets but my experience of a stages G2 is that it was total garbage with figures all over the place. And that was compared to 2 different P2Ms (Type S and NG) that I could attach to the same bike at the same time. Obviously the stages went back for refund. I don't know if the G3 is any better but personally I'd spend the bit extra to get the P2M every time.
I would but I can't find a 5 bolt 110 BCD...

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

c60rider

by c60rider

Thanos wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:58 pm
Miller wrote:Why not a pedal-based PM? There are good options without hassle.
I ride Time pedals, I think Shimano and Look based pedals are works of the devil.

Time RXS are the ultimate for me that's why I've stock piled about 8 pairs of them :lol: but I wish P2M would get friendly with Time and produce the equivalent of the Look/SRM exact pedal.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kervelo

by kervelo

Thanos wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:01 pm
Thanks, but isn't that 4 bolt and I'd need 5 bolt 110 BCD.

The offer includes the crankset, so my idea was you could replace the existing crankset with the newer one.

Thanos

by Thanos

Stages Super Record G3 does not fit on my 2018 Trek Emonda SLR, just not enough clearance on the LH crank arm and chain stay, so, back to the drawing board.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

kervelo wrote:
Thanos wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:01 pm
Thanks, but isn't that 4 bolt and I'd need 5 bolt 110 BCD.

The offer includes the crankset, so my idea was you could replace the existing crankset with the newer one.
Yes, the four bolt would be preferable, either in the P2M or SRM, although I realize you already stated the SRM was too dear for your budget. But the cranks are totally compatible with your 2014 setup plus you could use whatever ring combo you like... 50/34; 52/36; or 53/39. They’re all interchangeable with the same spider. I should add that since it’s a Trek with BB90 and I have not used a P2M with one, I am not 100% sure of its compatibility, but I know the SRM works perfectly with BB90.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Thanos

by Thanos

Ok, so potentially a naïve question. Can I mix my pre-2015 groupset (Record RD, FD & Levers/Hoods) with a 2015 and beyond 11 speed chainset?

Basically changing the 5 bolt pre-2015 to a 4 bolt 2015 design?

I already swapped out the Record chainset for a Super Record chainset when it needed changing years ago, but it was still the 5 bolt design.

If I can do this then it opens up options.

Last edited by Thanos on Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

c60rider

by c60rider

Yes there's no compatibility issues with the chainsets. It's just the fd, rd and levers you have to keep together as pre or post 2015. Other components, the chains, chainset and brakes you can mix. Many on here prefer the 5 arm crank over the 4 arm and use that with post 2015 bits.

Thanos

by Thanos

c60rider wrote:Yes there's no compatibility issues with the chainsets. It's just the fd, rd and levers you have to keep together as pre or post 2015. Other components, the chains, chainset and brakes you can mix. Many on here prefer the 5 arm crank over the 4 arm and use that with post 2015 bits.
Thanks @c60rider, I didn't know that!

Already moved to EE DM Brakes.

Why do people prefer the 5 arm crank over the 4? Is it looks and weight? IIRC I think my 5 arm SR crank and chainset is quite a bit lighter than the 4 arm version.

So, I could move to the P2M Type S power meter with little or no issues?

https://www.power2max.com/en/product/ty ... crank-set/

Which would give me everything I need.

Or, buy the NG or NGeco, but I'd need to purchase the chainrings separately.

Is that right? Sorry for all the questions.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

What @c60rider said about compatibility, and also cassettes. And where have you come up with the notion that people prefer the five arm cranks over the four arm? If they do, it’s strictly a style preference because the four arm cranks are far more versatile, will accept all combos of rings, and the rings themselves have been improved as to shift timings, tooth profiles etc. Unless you’re really emotionally tied to the looks of the five arm crank, the four arm is your better choice going forward.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

AJS914

by AJS914

I think the four bolt design was a little polarizing when it first came out. I hated it initially but now I really like it. Of course, I think the 12 speed crank looks horrible but it will probably grow on me. :-)

The high water mark for Campagnolo crankset design:

Thanos

by Thanos

Calnago wrote:What @c60rider said about compatibility, and also cassettes. And where have you come up with the notion that people prefer the five arm cranks over the four arm? If they do, it’s strictly a style preference because the four arm cranks are far more versatile, will accept all combos of rings, and the rings themselves have been improved as to shift timings, tooth profiles etc. Unless you’re really emotionally tied to the looks of the five arm crank, the four arm is your better choice going forward.
Thanks!

I didn't say people prefer 5 over 4, @c60rider did.

I have no issues moving to the 4 arm 11sp version as long as the rest of my groupset is compatible, which both of you have confirmed.

So now, the only decision, if I want to pursue a power meter would be which version of P2M......

RyanH

by RyanH

*cough*buy my SRM*cough*

c60rider

by c60rider

Just to clarify I just said many prefer the 5 arm cranks over 4 arm not everyone. A look at many of the build threads will see mismatched pre 2015 5 arm cranks with post 2015 rest of the group. It's a personal choice. Thanos just wanted clarification that it was compatible the other way round.

I have the P2M NG and the type S power meters. Functionally they're pretty much identical other than the battery. The NG is rechargeable and the port is available under the cover from the outside. The type S is quite awkward to get at the battery as you have to get to the inside of the spider, remove 2 rubber grommets, then the screws, then the cover comes off the front. That's likely to be once or twice a year depending on use so not that much of an issue but one that turns out to be easier done by removing the entire crank. The NG eco is replaceable battery like the type S but your access is easier from the outside like the NG in that you just pop the rubber cover off. The eco loses a few features such as left/ right balance and pedal smoothness that you can upgrade as extras but I'm not sure how much benefit, if any, they are. Personally I think being an owner of the NG and type S in hindsight the NGeco is the best combination of function, price and battery access though I'm still thoroughly happy with the two I do own. The type S and eco are very similar in price when I looked last.

Thanos

by Thanos

c60rider wrote:Just to clarify I just said many prefer the 5 arm cranks over 4 arm not everyone. A look at many of the build threads will see mismatched pre 2015 5 arm cranks with post 2015 rest of the group. It's a personal choice. Thanos just wanted clarification that it was compatible the other way round.

I have the P2M NG and the type S power meters. Functionally they're pretty much identical other than the battery. The NG is rechargeable and the port is available under the cover from the outside. The type S is quite awkward to get at the battery as you have to get to the inside of the spider, remove 2 rubber grommets, then the screws, then the cover comes off the front. That's likely to be once or twice a year depending on use so not that much of an issue but one that turns out to be easier done by removing the entire crank. The NG eco is replaceable battery like the type S but your access is easier from the outside like the NG in that you just pop the rubber cover off. The eco loses a few features such as left/ right balance and pedal smoothness that you can upgrade as extras but I'm not sure how much benefit, if any, they are. Personally I think being an owner of the NG and type S in hindsight the NGeco is the best combination of function, price and battery access though I'm still thoroughly happy with the two I do own. The type S and eco are very similar in price when I looked last.
Thanks for all your help @c60rider, I'm pondering the NGeco now, seems to give the best balance between functionality and cost. I'll update the thread when I decide.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Thanos

by Thanos

RyanH wrote:*cough*buy my SRM*cough*
I just saw this, I might be interested!