Why seatpost creaks?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

It might not get in. Put just one layer with no overlapping.

StanK

by StanK

Yes, I did just that. Barely went in. And creaking is gone, some 95% of it.
I don't know if both helped (heat shrink tubes and paper tape) or just one of that. Probably both, because there was 3 types of creaking.

But, in the end (I realized on today ride) I like original Ghost seatpost more. It's more comfortable and slightly better looking (some 15g heawier too, but sometimes you can't have it all :D ). Although, I need to sand it, take off slightly worn out decals beneath clearcoat, and finish it with clearcoat again.

Btw. saddle alone probably does not creack at all. It is likely to be contact point of titanium rails with (I mean) aluminum side clamps. Now I think I know cure for that.
Thanks anybody for suggestions.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

StanK

by StanK

I removed labels underneath clearcoat on the Ghost seatpost, lightly painted it to avoid greyish look (razor blade took some colour off as well) and put again clearcoat... and now it's creaking also with the Ghost seatpost :?
To make the matter worse, again is creaking with Climax seatpost too. Which I fixed a week ago :?

And even worst than that, creaking now appear when I get up from the seat too, which wasn't the case before with any seatpost. Creaking was there only when I sitting.
I didn't do anything else with the bike. There is no logic to me.

Ghost seatpost now is 27,15mm not 27,2 like before. I though maybe is that. I wrapped setpost contact area (like on Climax post, which helped there) with some very, very thin paper tape to get it to 27,2mm but it didn't help. I tried few other things (carbon paste, cellophane, even wrapped titanium rails - although i'm almost 100% certain creaking coming from seatpost/seat tube part) but nothing helped.

Slowly drives me crazy. I don't know what to try anymore.
Colour and clearcoat was in shape of some acrylic spray, if that's matter.

dim

by dim

if it creaks when you stand and pedal, perhaps it's not the seatpost or saddle .... check your bottom bracket?
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

kode54

by kode54

dim wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:21 pm
if it creaks when you stand and pedal, perhaps it's not the seatpost or saddle .... check your bottom bracket?
Also check skewers, chain ring bolts (i use anti seize paste on threads), and pedals. Carbon resonates the sound so it be coming from anywhere.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

TonyM

by TonyM

Or it was the seat post AND other parts like skewers (that was the case on one of my bikes) etc....

StanK

by StanK

It crossed my mind to even try without seatpost and saddle. Just few meters in front of house would be enough. I might do that tomorrow. That way I would have clear answer is it seatpost/saddle part or something else.

It would be really, really strange coincidence if it something else because, as I said, I didn't literally touch anything else in past week on my bike.

Sound of it it's like when I was putting Climax seatpost, before I fix creaking on it. So I think is definitelly that part of bike.
How to even be sure is it, for example, BB? In fact, I would leave that question for tomorrow if I find out that isn't seatpost. Then I will check skewers ... We will see tomorrow.

TonyM

by TonyM

FYI I had creaks and I was pretty sure that it was the BB. In fact it was my skewers but they were creaking only on some specific situations. The best is really to check all parts, grease them or switch them to something else. Especially if the creaks come from different parts which creak under different situation.

adam0bmx0

by adam0bmx0

I also had a crazy creak only when out the saddle, though it was my chainrings, so took them off, light grease threads and install, still creaking, was about to replace the BB when I moved the rear deriallier and heard the creak!

Turns out the creek was the 2 bolts for the rech mech hanger and a simple fix!

StanK

by StanK

It was rear skewer. I took wheel off, cleaned contact points with some cloth, put wheel back on and ... it's all good. I still hear some very, very slight creaks though, but that can be just saddle. Or something else :D

We will see when I hit uphill (that's where all creaks comes out :D), I just rode in front of my house for this, but I'm really glad that I solved this big creaking and that Ghost seatpost is, I think, still ok.

StanK

by StanK

I did 35km ride, just enough to see how things are. Not a sound, even on some uphill. :mrgreen:

Thanks again for suggestions, to all of you. I would be probably busting my head on this, because it didn't sound like back skewer, more like BB or crankset. But then again, I'm still on learning curve regarding carbon bikes.
I never had issue like that with alu frameset. I don't even know if something like this can happen on alu frames.
But, nevermind, it's solved and I've learned something.

HenHarrier

by HenHarrier

Pooling information like that makes a really useful thread. I've learned something too. Thanks all who got involved.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk