Why seatpost creaks?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
StanK

by StanK

More precisely ...
I bought Climax SP03 carbon Seatpost, but it's creaks very much. And I really don't like that. I don't like any unnecessary noise on my bike.

Now i wonder, is it for being simply too cheap to be "real thing"? Or because walls are too thin (at least double thiner that on my Ghost seatpost)? Or because of carbon craddle, and contact points with seatpost and Ti rails of a seat?

My seat (SLR) also had creaking, but eventually is gone (well, almost). But with every ride creaking was slowly disapper.
With this seatpost, and some 4-5 short rides I don't hear any changes, so now I think that creaking would not disappear at all. Should I wait little bit longer? For seat it took some 400-500km and still there is some minor (bearable) creaking.

I didn't want to use carbon assembly paste in case I wouldn't be satisfied with seatpost and that don't scratch paint (it's white) for easyer selling.
Would paste help? Or would some grease, somewhere, helped? Or ... is it simply to thin and too cheap not to creak?

Funny, when I was swap back to Ghost seatpost, it's also had some mild creaking. Before this, nothing. :shock:

dim

by dim

change the saddle and see if it still creaks

My Brooks Cambium C17 Carved saddle is starting to creak now
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

by Weenie

PokojniToza

by PokojniToza

Before you clean the area very well and apply some paste you cannot be sure. I get a lot of creaking, too, but I believe that in my case it is the saddle, since I have repaired it twice already.

StanK

by StanK

dim wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:34 am
change the saddle and see if it still creaks

My Brooks Cambium C17 Carved saddle is starting to creak now
I don't want to change the saddle. If saddle is here to blame, I will simply get back to original seatpost.
Also, at the moment, I have no spare saddle to try.

Btw. creaking, as much as it is annoying, rise one more question. I can hear seatpost creaking, but occasionally (mainly on uphill) I hear as if seat tube upper part also creaking. It almost like some tearing. Is there possibility to ruin my frame, break that (cutted) end part of seat tube? If so, I would ditch that new seatpost ASAP.

StanK

by StanK

PokojniToza wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:58 am
Before you clean the area very well and apply some paste you cannot be sure. I get a lot of creaking, too, but I believe that in my case it is the saddle, since I have repaired it twice already.
Yeah, that I wanna avoid. I used carbon paste just once and when I figure it out that there is no difference with or without it, I was throw it in some box. It would be last solution, because of scratching things somewhat.

Btw. between carbon cradle and Ti rails ... carbon paste has some sense, or don't?

Maybe I would need to try with original seatpost clamp. I changed it with some very light Carbon Ti clamp, with no problems back then. Maybe here would help. But it's heavier some 13g. :cry:

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

It could be the clamping bolts that hold the rails. Make sure they are tight enough.

StanK

by StanK

I don't think that's the problem. I have them pretty tight.
Maybe it's the problem of titanium clamps on titanium rails? So many variables.

kode54

by kode54

I ride in most weather conditions...and salty water (winter) gets everywhere, especially post and rails. I remove it at least twice in winter because of it...apply carbon paste liberally and put it back together. It lasts if not so wet or damp on the roads...all depends.
- Factor 02 Disc + DA9170 + Enve 4.5AR CK CL hubs
- Moots Vamoots Disc RSL Titanium + DA9170 + Enve 3.4AR CK CL hubs
- Parlee Altum + DA9150 + Enve SES 4.5 Ene carbon hubs
- Argonaut Spacebike 2.0 + DA9170 + Enve SES 5.6 DT Swiss 240 CL hubs

StanK

by StanK

Only dry rides here.

I will put some heat shrink tube on titanium clamp, and see if would help. Then something similar on the cradle where rails lay down. Then change the seatpost clamp, but I don't think this is a problem.
If anything doesn't help, I will conclude that is bad design (too thin walls, made just for being light, without too much caring for anything else), and move on.

AJS914

by AJS914

You might just need a drop of oil on the bolts but until you install it correctly with carbon paste you'll never know where the problem is.

Carbon paste has fixed all sorts of creaks for me. Often after getting stuck in the rain my bike creaks like crazy. Redoing my seatpost and stem with fresh carbon paste often fixes it. Last time I got a creak it was coming from the front skewer but sounded the stem.

StanK

by StanK

Well, yes, last try will probably be carbon paste on all carbon contact spots.

Just crossed my mind...
Before this SLR saddle with Ti rails, I had SLR with vanox rails. And before that SLR Flow with Ti rails. Both SLR with Ti rails was creaking a bit, but that with vanox rails - nothing.
Maybe is titanium that creaks. I'm gonna see tomorrow for sure. I already put heat shrink on titanium clamps of seatpost. And I will put some thin tape on Ti rails of saddle.

GothicCastle

by GothicCastle

If the post’s diameter is slightly too small or the seat tube’s diameter is slightly too large, there can be enough movement to cause lots of noise. This is particularly true of wedge-style clamps.

StanK

by StanK

Same seatpost diameter, same clamp force needed... It's not this either, I'm affraid.

Obviously, if someone decide to make very light seatpost probably has to be with very thin walls. Are the other super-lightweight (below 130-150g, uncutted) seatpost are prone to creaking?

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

Did you check the seatpost with a caliper? My carbon posts for example, from 3 different brands are all a little bit smaller than the nominal 27.2 The one I am using now is the smallest, i can actually rattle it noticeably in the hole when not tightened. With thin assembly paste it was creaking, had to find a grittier one but now it is silent. Thin paste is OK for better matching parts (bars in stem or stem on steerer should fall here)

StanK

by StanK

I just checked. Well, it is 0,2mm less (27mm diameter, not 27,2mm).
Interesting, because there is no feeling that post go easier into the seat tube. I will wrap it around with some non-slippery tape (for the start) and hope for ride without creaking.

by Weenie