Weird R8000 shifter

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Meyercord

by Meyercord

I searched a bit and couldn’t find out if this is normal. When I’m in the smallest rear cog, and any chainring I can downshift two gears, however if I’m in any cog besides the smallest I can downshift three gears. I’m at a loss if this isn’t normal. Any ideas?

Full hydraulic ultegra 8000/8020

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Meyercord

by Meyercord

Any ideas?

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

So the lever has less stroke in the smallest cog? It gets 2 clicks, then stops? If you were in 6th gear it would swing farther and get 3 clicks? Or does the amount of swing stay the same but it only makes 2 clicks?

alcatraz

by alcatraz

It means your cable has slipped or your gears were never properly indexed to begin with, or someone has played with the barrel adjuster.

In any case, a two gear misalignment is big so it's most likely the cable that has slipped.

1. Shift to the smallest cog and continue to shift until there are no more clicks.

2. Turn the rear derailleur (rd) barrel adjuster all the way in (clockwise).

3. Unscrew the cable clamp bolt on the derailleur and pull the cable excess with pliars and then clamp it down again with a proper amount of torque. Note which side of the clamp bolt the cable goes. There is a groove for the cable on the side it should go. If unsure check the downloadable manual.

4. Shift with -one- click to the left/easier.

5. If the chain hesitates or doesn't make the jump, turn the barrel adjuster counter clockwise one turn. Try again by shifting right/harder and then back left/easier.

6. Check shifting the whole cassette up and down, make sure all gears are shiftable. If the shifting hesitates more when shifting right/harder then finetune by turning the barrel adjuster clockwise by a quarter turn. Recheck

If the shifting hesitates more when shifying left/easier then finetune by turning the barrel adjuster counter clockwise by a quarter turn.

------

The barrel adjuster on my friends r8000 rd is pure shit. The outer shell of the adjuster spins freely so whatever "tamper proof" mechanism they decided was a smart idea, is pure garbage in my mind. The derailleur came new in the box.

K4m1k4z3

by K4m1k4z3

Mine acts in a similar manner. I can jump 3 gears up to the 8th cog when I push the paddle all the way in, but once I release it, the chain falls back to the 9th cog. The shifter lacks the 3rd click when I'm shifting from the smallest cog. And yes, it is indexed properly - when going from 11th to 10th cog on one click it works flawlessly.
Tbh, I haven't noticed this until I tried today.
'24 S-Works Tarmac SL8 RTP - soon™
'22 Tarmac SL7 Expert | Ultegra R8100 | Alpinist CL / Custom Rapide CLX 2x60
'19 Diverge E5 Comp
'18 Epic HT Comp Carbon WMN
'18 TCR Adv Pro 1 Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Aeo

by Aeo

Meyercord wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:11 am
I searched a bit and couldn’t find out if this is normal. When I’m in the smallest rear cog, and any chainring I can downshift two gears, however if I’m in any cog besides the smallest I can downshift three gears. I’m at a loss if this isn’t normal. Any ideas?

Full hydraulic ultegra 8000/8020
It's the normal behaviour for my mechanical/mechanical ST-R8000
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14