Oversized Pulley RD

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

addictR1

by addictR1

Anyone first hand or have long term reviews on oversized pulley?

Saw a lot on eBay that spins like crazy. But not sure about long term use or worth while.

It’s definitely cheaper than using CS version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Because pulley bearings don't support a big load you have free choice to use all kinds of fragile materials.

The cheap ceramic that would be ground into dust in a wheel hub or bottom bracket can last a long time in a pulley wheel.

Problem I've found is the play in certain bearings. It leads to imprecise shifting.

Also stay away from alloy/metal teeth, stick with softer otherwise you'll have a noisy drivetrain.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

addictR1

by addictR1

Thanks. Hadn’t thought about aluminum jockey wheel versus plastic ones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seedster

by Seedster

Let's be clear, this OSPW is more a aesthetic addition with little to no real tangible gains. I have two and if the price of admission werent so heavily discounted, I would have passed.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Price of admission... into... Supreme Ugliness. No thanks. When the diameter of the imaginary circle that encompasses the entirety of the lower pulley plus the top of the largest cog gets so big as to be larger than the diameter of the big ring up front, then a new era of road ugly has truly taken hold.
This one below is close but not quite there. All it needs is a bigger cassette, like imagine a 40tooth or, oh my... a 50tooth cassette back there. At that point I don’t think you could even call it a “road bike” anymore...
Last edited by Calnago on Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

addictR1

by addictR1

Calnago, I know what you mean. I feel like that with disc brake bikes.

Thank for all your info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Well I’m sure you know that I’m totally with ya on the disc brake aesthetic as well. I’ve been calling it the “mountainization” of the road bike for some time now.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

addictR1

by addictR1

Calnago wrote:Well I’m sure you know that I’m totally with ya on the disc brake aesthetic as well. I’ve been calling it the “mountainization” of the road bike for some time now.
Lol... mountainization... disc to me looks out of place...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk