SRAM Etap playing with Etap AXS

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ritxis

by Ritxis

XCProMD wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:54 am
Ritxis wrote:rear derailleur Red AXS failure????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... ClsFSOywqM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... 1POlA3m8jU

who has uploaded the 2nd video, comments about another from a Venge and that another taken from its box does the same

they fail or are they really like that? because if they are like that, they say that in march they sound a lot
C‘mon, are you serious?

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
They were put by some colleagues, and they were wondering if it was normal ... I checked my 9070 and 6870 and they also do it .......

taf

by taf

I wonder if I can run old Force levers with new axs force calipers. Anyone got info on that ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nickldn

by Nickldn

I'm sure that if there's sufficient demand to use ETAP shifters with AXS derailleurs someone could invent a box to capture the ETAP shifter electronic commands, 'translate' them into AXS commands and beam them to the ETAP derailleurs.

I suppose the commands are not publicly available and would need to be reverse engineered, but I'm sure someone could do it if there is a market for it.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Nickldn wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:55 pm
I'm sure that if there's sufficient demand to use ETAP shifters with AXS derailleurs someone could invent a box to capture the ETAP shifter electronic commands, 'translate' them into AXS commands and beam them to the ETAP derailleurs.

I suppose the commands are not publicly available and would need to be reverse engineered, but I'm sure someone could do it if there is a market for it.

While radio signals are in the open, eTap/AXS does not use an unencrypted broadcast protocol for obvious reasons. Devices are paired and all communications require a one-time use key.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Sure, the signal translation device would need to look like an AXS derailleur to the AXS shifters and a ETAP shifters to the ETAP derailleur. It would need to be bluetooth paired with both the AXS shifters and the ETAP derailleur and sit in the middle translating the signals, including all the security protocols.

Yes it would be a major project to be sure, but if the market was there someone would build it.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

Karvalo wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:40 pm
Cattiy wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:53 pm
I spoke to a retailer, which claimed a Campagnolo 12 speed chain and other cassettes would work just fine.
Did they say it'd work because they've tried it, or because they think it will work? The potential issues I can see are first whether the rear mech pushes a chain with conventional rollers with as much authority as it would a Flat Top chain whose rollers match the jockey wheel design. Then, you'll have a fundamentally different set of chainring options to choose from. The front mech has been designed for a max chainring size of 50t, so if you want faster than 50x11 you might be out of luck. If you're happy with a 50, then the front mech has only been designed to handle 13t gaps, so the 16t gap of a normal 50/34 may cause issues. Then, ok all of that might work, but does it work perfectly? Does it deliver the absolute top level of performance (as designed by SRAM with the complete system) that justifies the very large amount of money you just spent on it?
It would be real nice if the so called bike test sites would clarify it on their own, so that the end user does not to.
Tricky one that. When a bike site says "we used Product X in a way we weren't supposed to and it didn't work" the only thing some people will take from that headline is "Product X doesn't work". Manufacturers don't want to see those headlines, and are then less likely to give test equipment and demo day invites to review sites who have a habit of doing it.
Manufacturers don't want the potential liability, either.

"I used chain "X" and FD "Y" with chainset "Z" on my bike, the chain sucked, jammed and now my £500.00 custom paint job is a mess" ... is that the fault of the end user, "X", "Y" or "Z"?

Well, if "X", "Y" or "Z" have made a claim about intercompatibility, it may be one, or all their faults collectively but you'd need to be a smart cookie lawyer to figure it out. Then there are the consequential damage disclaimers to work around.

What if it's more than a damaged paint job? What if personal injury is the result? Death?
No-one really wants to carry that liability.

There's nothing that says that manufacturer "X" has to inform manufacturer "Y" when they change specification - but that may have a fundamental effect on how "well" manufacturer "Y"s product might or might not work with manufacturer "X"'s - or vice versa.

That's why manufacturer's (and the more responsible posters on forums, for instance) will qualify what they say pretty carefully - because it's not only manufacurers that have to think about liability.
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

DaveS

by DaveS

I would hope that anyone who mixes and matches components does it, knowing that problems may occur and not expect perfect results. If not, then they are unrealistic. I've used the AXS chain with Chorus 12, but I know full well that some wear issue might crop up in the future.

I find it interesting that SRAM uses 12 sprockets to gain range, but gives up range with a 13T difference at the crank. Campy 12 shifts great across a 16T difference and the shifting pattern is a no-brainer.