SRAM Etap playing with Etap AXS

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Karvalo

by Karvalo

wheelsONfire wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:10 am
When i bought my Etap and read the warranty, it was only valid using Sram (crank, chain etc), not aftermarket.
No idea how they would check that, not even sure i've seen that claim before.
Campagnolo have said that for a long, long time. According to Graeme if they have doubts over a warranty claim they will ask for pictures of complete bike setups from the retailer and will deny claims if non-Campag parts are present in the drivetrain. I think he used the example a while back of a destroyed rear mech/chain etc sent back that had the remains of a KMC link hanging from it. Denied.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

I have seen several chain failures caused at the quick link - rear mech, chain, wheel and frame damaged. Why should they warrant a set up that they have not produced themselves?

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Did anyone say they should?

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Yeah, those quick links should be checked more carefully. I have had a few that have been stiff enough not going through the RD wheels.
Now i use grease on the QL when i install it aswell as check that it runs smooth.
I don't know why they have snapped or failed, perhaps they have been re-installed or not been seated properly!?
But i guess it's same with the "pin" versions Shimano and Campa uses. If the pin is not well in place, they also run badly.

My reasons for buying the Red BB386 crankset was foremost getting correct chainline.
I have actually just now bought the XG-1190.
But not installed it. I have been riding DA9000 and UL6800 cassettes. Use XG-1130 on my Neo.
They all work splendid (all 11-28)!
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Cattiy

by Cattiy

Karvalo wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:40 pm
Cattiy wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:53 pm
I spoke to a retailer, which claimed a Campagnolo 12 speed chain and other cassettes would work just fine.
Did they say it'd work because they've tried it, or because they think it will work? The potential issues I can see are first whether the rear mech pushes a chain with conventional rollers with as much authority as it would a Flat Top chain whose rollers match the jockey wheel design. Then, you'll have a fundamentally different set of chainring options to choose from. The front mech has been designed for a max chainring size of 50t, so if you want faster than 50x11 you might be out of luck. If you're happy with a 50, then the front mech has only been designed to handle 13t gaps, so the 16t gap of a normal 50/34 may cause issues. Then, ok all of that might work, but does it work perfectly? Does it deliver the absolute top level of performance (as designed by SRAM with the complete system) that justifies the very large amount of money you just spent on it?
It would be real nice if the so called bike test sites would clarify it on their own, so that the end user does not to.
Tricky one that. When a bike site says "we used Product X in a way we weren't supposed to and it didn't work" the only thing some people will take from that headline is "Product X doesn't work". Manufacturers don't want to see those headlines, and are then less likely to give test equipment and demo day invites to review sites who have a habit of doing it.
Sry, my fault. He only did mean Campagnolo chains and builts his custom cassettes.

MartinCzernik

by MartinCzernik

I´m thinking of running the Eagle AXS together with the 10-50T cassette, Eagle chain and 1x AbsoluteBlack oval chain ring + RockShox Reverb AXS dropper post on my new Litespeed Gravel. Does anybody know if this will work with eTap RED road shifters?
Martin Czernik
Stockholm Sweden

2019 Litespeed Gravel eTap AXS
2018 TREK Top Fuel 9.8 SL AXS
2017 S-Works Stumpjumper FSR AXS

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

It will work with any AXS shifters, including the mech road ones. It will not work with the previous eTap shifters.

Soulsolutions

by Soulsolutions

This seems crazy. I hope SRAM is forced to release firmware for the old shifters and front mech to make them compatible.
The shifters aren't smart, they send one command in normal operation. I wouldn't care if I lost trimming. Front mech does one thing.

With di2 I can use a 3 gen old 10sp shifter, update the firmware and it works in the system.

For example I have an etap Venge Disc. I should only need to buy rear mech, chain, cluster and chainrings. Then conversion kit for rear hub.
If that was $1500 it would be an option next time I wore out a cluster. Instead not feasible, wait for whole new bike.

mattr

by mattr

Forced? By who?

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Soulsolutions wrote:This seems crazy. I hope SRAM is forced to release firmware for the old shifters and front mech to make them compatible.
The shifters aren't smart, they send one command in normal operation. I wouldn't care if I lost trimming. Front mech does one thing.

With di2 I can use a 3 gen old 10sp shifter, update the firmware and it works in the system.

For example I have an etap Venge Disc. I should only need to buy rear mech, chain, cluster and chainrings. Then conversion kit for rear hub.
If that was $1500 it would be an option next time I wore out a cluster. Instead not feasible, wait for whole new bike.
Bahahahahahaha

Comedy gold.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

Ritxis

by Ritxis

rear derailleur Red AXS failure????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... ClsFSOywqM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... 1POlA3m8jU

who has uploaded the 2nd video, comments about another from a Venge and that another taken from its box does the same

they fail or are they really like that? because if they are like that, they say that in march they sound a lot

HillClimbTom

by HillClimbTom

Ritxis wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:02 pm
rear derailleur Red AXS failure????

who has uploaded the 2nd video, comments about another from a Venge and that another taken from its box does the same

they fail or are they really like that? because if they are like that, they say that in march they sound a lot
Both of my 11spd rear mechs are the same! Nothing to worry about!

kwakekeham

by kwakekeham

The play is larger than I've seen in Shimano and Campagnolo (and haven't seen new AXS up close), but to alliviate some concerns, if you look at any of the electronic derailleurs, to handle gear train play they all have a spring to push it to the one side. It's on all electronic derailleurs.

Visible in these pictures.

Shimano

Campagnolo

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Ritxis wrote:rear derailleur Red AXS failure????

C‘mon, are you serious?

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

That play is there to save the motor and gears. It shifts with to the next gear and loads a spring so that the shift happens naturally and has enough tension to hold it in place.
Ride fast Take chances

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com