DA 9150 shifter rattle

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
beanbiken

by beanbiken

Been chasing a frustrating and annoying "buzz" type of rattle in my 9150 shifters. A few times I have thought I have solved it ionly for it to return a couple of rides later. L/H one is peaceful at the moment but........... I'm currently waiting on a set of the Schmolke carbon clamps as my current train of thought is that it is the calmps/studs somehow breaking the peace. Anyone actually had the same issue?

BB
BB

Coffee & carbon

Calnago

by Calnago

Any noise like that is annoying, regardless of where it originates. But you haven’t given much to go on at all, except that I think if the clamps were loose enough to be rattling, then they’d be loose enough that your levers are moving around on the bars. My guess is it’s something else. Is there any play in your headset which would not only create maybe a “clunk” sound every now and then, but if you’re running spacers they might be vibrating against each other. Just a random guess as to something else up front other than the clamps.
Last edited by Calnago on Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

nycebo

by nycebo

Do you run your cables through the bars?

beanbiken

by beanbiken

T'was more inquiring if someone maybe had had a similar problem. No clamps are torqued to prescribed settings, brake cables run under the tape, DI2 cables run internally. both shifters were doing it and I thought I had cured it but now the R/h has started again. It's not a clunk but a consistent buzz type of rattle over course blacktop, doesn't need pot holes for it to occur. I will keep playing, it's sort of a plastic sounding rattle.............. If I grab the shifter it tends to shut up, and I'm loathed to tighten any further as don't wish to mark my weenie bars

BB
BB

Coffee & carbon

alexmcm09

by alexmcm09

It's the Di2 button paddles. They aren't 100% tight so tend to rattle on rough surfaces. Either rest your hand on the shifter too dampen it or you could try adding some electrical tape behind the paddle to dampen things.

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Hmm, worth a try. Have read about people putting a dob of silicone to silence rattles but not exactly sure where..... I tried using masking tape and wrapping the lever and buttons and it made zilch difference but I’ll try the tape on the back of the buttons....

BB
BB

Coffee & carbon

ryanw

by ryanw

I had a rattle, was a perished brake cable which was internally routed.
It was stopping the cable from fully returning to the rest postion, resulting in the lever having a few mm of play, which would make it rattle.
'16 Cervelo S5 - 6,650g RIP
'17 Focus Mares Force 1 - 7,170g
'19 Cervelo S5 Disc - 7,460g

IG: RhinosWorkshop - Check it out for all my custom builds :thumbup:

:!: Ride Southern Spain Cycling Holidays *£445 for 7 Nights* :!:

kode54

by kode54

Maybe tighten up the 'reach' screw and put tension on it to the point where its touching. Could be that.
- Factor 02 Disc + DA9170 + Enve 4.5AR CK CL hubs
- Moots Vamoots Disc RSL Titanium + DA9170 + Enve 3.4AR CK CL hubs
- Parlee Altum + DA9150 + Enve SES 4.5 Ene carbon hubs
- Argonaut Spacebike 2.0 + DA9170 + Enve SES 5.6 DT Swiss 240 CL hubs

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I have some 9000 shifters, but I occassionally get rattling. What it is, is the shifter cover plate. The screw backs off, just a little, and the cover starts rattling. Since you have cable shifters, I would try that.
Madone 9 - https://bit.ly/2Nqedbn
Emonda SLR - https://bit.ly/2UK5FP8
Crockett - https://bit.ly/2Xem4sk

Madone 5, Cobia. I own a lot of Treks.

beanbiken

by beanbiken

FIJIGabe wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:26 pm
I have some 9000 shifters, but I occassionally get rattling. What it is, is the shifter cover plate. The screw backs off, just a little, and the cover starts rattling. Since you have cable shifters, I would try that.
Mine are DI2 but will look into that, it does seem to be thet type of sound.
BB

Coffee & carbon

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Hmm, I wonder............thanks
BB

Coffee & carbon

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Just posting in case by some chance this can save someone much frustration and a few rolls of bar tape. I’ve solved my own mystery. I’m using Shimano’s EW-RS910 junction, the 3 piece matching bar end cap....... well it’s the culprit. As it has been on a number of bars the adhesive is long gone so I hold the outer shells on the bar with electrical tape. When I retake the bar everything is tight and all is good, but it seems that with the way you need to finish the bar tape at the ends applies just enough pressure to loosen and push the shells away from the bar giving it just enough play to...... f’n rattle. Case is now closed. Thank god :oops: :roll:

BB
BB

Coffee & carbon

kode54

by kode54

Might help to put double stick tape on the actual bar where the dummy end cap goes first, then tape over with double stick tape before wrapping the bar with handlebar tape. Sounds like alot of tape, but keeps things in check.
- Factor 02 Disc + DA9170 + Enve 4.5AR CK CL hubs
- Moots Vamoots Disc RSL Titanium + DA9170 + Enve 3.4AR CK CL hubs
- Parlee Altum + DA9150 + Enve SES 4.5 Ene carbon hubs
- Argonaut Spacebike 2.0 + DA9170 + Enve SES 5.6 DT Swiss 240 CL hubs

by Weenie

WILLIAMDENYS

by WILLIAMDENYS

The new di2 version shifters all rattle because there is an option to set your lever pull shorter and further .... this is a little bolt in your shifter that does come loose really easy. I did mount the little bolt with some loctite in my 8050Image shifters

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
- ridley fenix sl 105 - not lightweight
- sworks tarmac sl 5 r8050 di2 - vision tc 24 wheels = 7,1kg