New bike around 2000€ mark - BMC ALR Disc, Emonda ALR Disc, Allez Disc

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

NordicSal

by NordicSal

Hello,

I have been searching the forum with no luck, and I could really use your expertise.

Which bike would you pick, and why? Currently I am on a Domane ALR 4 Disc, size 62 cm, but I am looking to upgrade it with one of the bikes mentioned in the title. I am quite tall at 198 cm with a 99 cm inseam, if that plays any role. I wouldn't mind my bike a bit more aggressive than the Domane, hence the BMC and the Spech.

I want to start going on long rides regularly, as I am flirting with the idea of doing a long biketour this summer down through Europe, this is how I intent upon using it.

I can't find much info on the BMC, regarding reviews, and unfortunately the Allez Disc seems to only come as a frameset in Europe, if anyone knows differently please tell.

Canyon makes carbon bikes at the pricepoint, and I would love one of those, but I am not really fond of their reputation in customer service/delivery time.

Please enlighten me, and every one else!
Last edited by NordicSal on Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sock3t

by Sock3t

What is your plan here? A cafe ride 6 miles up the road to sip an espresso? Weekly fondos with the boys? Weekly crit racing? Super competitive group rides with tactics and aggressive attacks? Commuting to the local library for work?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ettore

by Ettore

The BMC ALR has a better performing frame than the carbon SLR03, if that matters. Lighter, too.

NordicSal

by NordicSal

Sock3t wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:12 pm
What is your plan here? A cafe ride 6 miles up the road to sip an espresso? Weekly fondos with the boys? Weekly crit racing? Super competitive group rides with tactics and aggressive attacks? Commuting to the local library for work?
I want to start going on long rides regularly, as I am flirting with the idea of doing a long biketour this summer down through Europe, this is how I intent upon using it. I added it to my post, thanks

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Does it have to be new? You can pick up some incredible deals, especially on large frames, if you're willing to go used. If you're committed to disc brakes, your options become more limited, though.

NordicSal

by NordicSal

Ettore wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:25 pm
The BMC ALR has a better performing frame than the carbon SLR03, if that matters. Lighter, too.
Is it really? The Emonda ALR Disc is lighter than the SL Disc too, don't know about the performance though.

NordicSal

by NordicSal

FIJIGabe wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:28 pm
Does it have to be new? You can pick up some incredible deals, especially on large frames, if you're willing to go used. If you're committed to disc brakes, your options become more limited, though.
Sort of new at least, and I am very committed to discs and thru-axles. That's why I am not considering the CAAD.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

So the Allez Disc is the Sprint model with the lower front end and will ride rougher in the rear, however it is also the most distinctive. I'd cross it off if your plans include 2.5+ hour rides. You can do it, but there are better options. Otherwise, the other two will be much of the same - general road bikes. The Sprint is a better 2nd bike, not a #1 bike in most cases. All three are modern, hydroformed AL, mass market, disc frames. Buy the one that looks the best, has better components, and has the best cable routing.

You can get some prior year carbon bikes and maybe a low end Giant Carbon model. I'd only go that route if you can get proper full hydraulic 105/Ultegra/SRAM. Modern, hydroformed AL is every bit as good as low end carbon. If you go with something in the endurance or gravel category (Trek Domane, Checkpoint; BMC Roadmachine, etc) and get two sets of wheels/tires, you can have a bike that is 99% as good std road bike (giving up a bit of weight and you'd want to adjust the fit with the stem), but hit non-paved roads.

If you buy a frameset, make sure you can get a seatpost that will accommodate your height at minimum insertion.

EDIT: The BMC ALR has a threaded Bottom Bracket and a D-shaped seatpost - that's nice.
Last edited by jfranci3 on Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sock3t

by Sock3t

NordicSal wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:27 pm
Sock3t wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:12 pm
I want to start going on long rides regularly, as I am flirting with the idea of doing a long biketour this summer down through Europe, this is how I intent upon using it. I added it to my post, thanks
I think you've already chosen a good bike for bike touring. The Domane is comfy for those long distances. If you're bent on changing bicycles, the ALR and the Allez are going to be properly aggressive. Depending on fit and how much yoga you're doing, it may not be the best over a long period.

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

I bought two Canyons, in different years and from stock they were shipped super fast. A friend ordered a 3 months backordered model and while it came late, nothing outrageous. The very large sizes should be in stock more easily than the average ones.

NordicSal

by NordicSal

jfranci3 wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:52 pm
So the Allez Disc is the Sprint model with the lower front end and will ride rougher in the rear, however it is also the most distinctive. I'd cross it off if your plans include 2.5+ hour rides. You can do it, but there are better options. Otherwise, the other two will be much of the same - general road bikes. The Sprint is a better 2nd bike, not a #1 bike in most cases. All three are modern, hydroformed AL, mass market, disc frames. Buy the one that looks the best, has better components, and has the best cable routing.

You can get some prior year carbon bikes and maybe a low end Giant Carbon model. I'd only go that route if you can get proper full hydraulic 105/Ultegra/SRAM. Modern, hydroformed AL is every bit as good as low end carbon. If you go with something in the endurance or gravel category (Trek Domane, Checkpoint; BMC Roadmachine, etc) and get two sets of wheels/tires, you can have a bike that is 99% as good std road bike (giving up a bit of weight and you'd want to adjust the fit with the stem), but hit non-paved roads.

If you buy a frameset, make sure you can get a seatpost that will accommodate your height at minimum insertion.

EDIT: The BMC ALR has a threaded Bottom Bracket and a D-shaped seatpost - that's nice.
I am quite hooked on the BMC TeamMachine, and have looked at the Roadmachine, but figured I might as well just keep my Domane then. It's a good idea with the wheelset, the thing is my Domane has Tiagra, and the hydro-brakes are shit for some reason. I made my mind upon this, that I'd have to replace the whole groupset then, as it's stock 2,5 years old.

What is the deal with a threaded BB compared to pressfit? And what does it mean with the D shaped post?

jfranci3

by jfranci3

NordicSal wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:23 pm

I am quite hooked on the BMC TeamMachine, and have looked at the Roadmachine, but figured I might as well just keep my Domane then. It's a good idea with the wheelset, the thing is my Domane has Tiagra, and the hydro-brakes are shit for some reason. I made my mind upon this, that I'd have to replace the whole groupset then, as it's stock 2,5 years old.

What is the deal with a threaded BB compared to pressfit? And what does it mean with the D shaped post?
I don' think there are any differences between Tiagra and Dura-Ace hydro brakes functionally. Have them bled, change the pads, and douse the rotors with acetone then 70+% alcohol. They should work as good as they will.

Pressfit bottom brackets tend to start making noise after some time. Threaded is more durable.
The D-shaped seat post is a comfort item. The flat backside allows the post to flex more when you hit a bump. It's one of the 1000 ways to cushion your backside.

NordicSal

by NordicSal

I've had the whole system changed, they've started howling right away again. It has the Shimano RS405 Disc brakes.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Hmmm... post pics of the setup on the disc side. Try making sure your lines are secure.

At any rate, I wouldn't blame Tiagra or your frame. For a one bike setup, you're likely in the right seat as long as you don't want something specific.

AnkitS

by AnkitS

Imo. For a little over $2000 I built a Cervelo S3 disc with new 105 and power meter. It may not be super nice but I think it's perfect for the riding I am doing. I waited for deals and made the correct compromises. A pre built complete would not have worked for me as I need shorter cranks and junior gearing. Here is my build. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... p=drivesdk i can build you something similar.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com