Orbea Orca 2020

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Found the rake on Orbea's website
Fork rake=48mm for size 47-51 and 43mm for size 53-60.

Now we can calculate tail.
size 47 trail=66
size 49 trail=63
Size 51 trail=59
size 53 trail=60
size 55 trail=59
size 57 and 60 trail=58 , Only size 57 and 60 handle as fast as Supersix Evo which has trail=58mm on all sizes..

Overall, except size 47 and 49, they seems to do okay. Almost monotonically faster handling as you go up the size. But certainly not as consistence as the new Supersix Evo or new Cervelo S3, S5.

robeambro

by robeambro

Getting Tarmac-like weights on a bike with ICR is tricky. The new SS Evo would be a fairer comparison.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mmeysarosh

by mmeysarosh

Hexsense wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:49 pm
Found the rake on Orbea's website
Fork rake=48mm for size 47-51 and 43mm for size 53-60.

Now we can calculate tail.
size 47 trail=66
size 49 trail=63
Size 51 trail=59
size 53 trail=60
size 55 trail=59
size 57 and 60 trail=58 , Only size 57 and 60 handle as fast as Supersix Evo which has trail=58mm on all sizes..

Overall, except size 47 and 49, they seems to do okay. Almost monotonically faster handling as you go up the size. But certainly not as consistence as the new Supersix Evo or new Cervelo S3, S5.
I just ran two quick calcs and my numbers differing. The 49cm gets 61mm trail and 51cm gets a 57mm. What tool did you use?

Hexsense

by Hexsense

here: http://yojimg.net/bike/web_tools/trailcalc.php
size 49 i enter head angle=71.5deg, fork offset=48, tire width =25mm and get Trail=63mm, Mechanical trail=60mm
I do the same for Supersix Evo, 71.2deg, fork offset=55mm, tire width =25mm and get Trail =58mm, Mechanical trail=55mm. This is the correct value according to manufacturer. So the tool is in the ballpark.

i'd get trail=61mm if i enter tire width as 20mm on the calculation of Orbea size 49... but who ride smaller than 25mm tire these days?

otnemem

by otnemem

xylar wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:33 pm
otnemem wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:26 pm
There isn't a whole lot of weight to lose from that configuration.
It looks good and the personalization is a great selling point for many a people but for me, at that price, I'd expect something closer to the Tarmac in weight.
Tarmac Pro/Expert in 58 is around 7.8kg. So this is lighter than Expert/Pro but heavier than S Works. Would be interested to see how frame weight compares.
I look at the price and I think it's a hard sell. For less money I can go Canyon, for not much more, Spesh S-works. Same functionality, less weight :noidea:

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Why does all these "new bikes" look so similar... It's boring!
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

mmeysarosh

by mmeysarosh

Hexsense wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:21 pm
here: http://yojimg.net/bike/web_tools/trailcalc.php
size 49 i enter head angle=71.5deg, fork offset=48, tire width =25mm and get Trail=63mm, Mechanical trail=60mm
I do the same for Supersix Evo, 71.2deg, fork offset=55mm, tire width =25mm and get Trail =58mm, Mechanical trail=55mm. This is the correct value according to manufacturer. So the tool is in the ballpark.

i'd get trail=61mm if i enter tire width as 20mm on the calculation of Orbea size 49... but who ride smaller than 25mm tire these days?
Was able to find the trail figures that match the bike and are they pretty close to the calculator;

47 - 66.8
48 - 63.3
51 - 59.2
53 - 60.7
55 - 59.5
57 - 58.2
60 - 58.2

The other side is the wheel base on the OMX is shorter at the size ranges, which will increase the steering reactivity. Another interesting note is smaller sizes of the SuperSix EVO has slightly greater drop while larger sizes have slightl less. Differing approaches to achieve the balance and I'd be more than happy to try both of them if anyone is willing to lend :D.

mmeysarosh

by mmeysarosh

otnemem wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:43 pm
xylar wrote:
otnemem wrote:
It looks good and the personalization is a great selling point for many a people but for me, at that price, I'd expect something closer to the Tarmac in weight.
Tarmac Pro/Expert in 58 is around 7.8kg. So this is lighter than Expert/Pro but heavier than S Works. Would be interested to see how frame weight compares.
I look at the price and I think it's a hard sell. For less money I can go Canyon, for not much more, Spesh S-works. Same functionality, less weight :noidea:
The Orbea OMX weight is 833gm at 53 painted with the fork at 370g unpainted. The price differential at DA Di2 is $1,700, so its a bit more when comparing top bin. Based on what we know, the Tarmac S-Sworks is about 6.7kg and the OMX at 7.3kgm, a full half kilo more built. About 100g of that is the wheelsets and we know the frame and fork adds another 180g of weight.

Not ultra light bike, but holds its own compared to the SuperSix, the new Scott Addict RC, and the Wilier SLR. It seems integration is adding for a bit of bloat for most manufactures. The new Venge is in the same weight categroy as these and is more than likely a better on the aero. The Orbea does have the clearence advantage, which could be a boon for those finding themselves on the rough stuff. The Tarmac supports 30c officially and the rest say 28mm if I'm not mistaken.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

........and the non-aero Orca OMR frameset (traditional road bike) that I ride is still available with rim brake, and has gone down in price by over 1000.00! I am gonna be getting me a 2020 OMR this year!
Never cheer before you know who is winning

robeambro

by robeambro

mmeysarosh wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:19 am
otnemem wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:43 pm
xylar wrote:
otnemem wrote:
The Orbea OMX weight is 833gm at 53 painted with the fork at 370g unpainted. The price differential at DA Di2 is $1,700, so its a bit more when comparing top bin. Based on what we know, the Tarmac S-Sworks is about 6.7kg and the OMX at 7.3kgm, a full half kilo more built. About 100g of that is the wheelsets and we know the frame and fork adds another 180g of weight.

Not ultra light bike, but holds its own compared to the SuperSix, the new Scott Addict RC, and the Wilier SLR. It seems integration is adding for a bit of bloat for most manufactures. The new Venge is in the same weight categroy as these and is more than likely a better on the aero. The Orbea does have the clearence advantage, which could be a boon for those finding themselves on the rough stuff. The Tarmac supports 30c officially and the rest say 28mm if I'm not mistaken.
The Tarmac is that light when measured in the black kinda unpainted version. The Orbea had some (pretty cool) paintjob, it could shed some hundred grams if you took that off.

So, ultimately, like-for-like, there is very little difference. If I could trade in my SL6 for the new Orca, I would definitely think about it.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

To be fully honest to Orbea, the only "bloated" integrated part is the stem (160g in 100mm, as per cyclingtips). The handlebar essentially is exchangeable to whatever you wish, even a Darimo - and the "integration" would almost be preserved as long as you keep the cables close to the bar. The seatpost, of course, could be lighter as well (Cervelo R5 non-setback version with titanium screws is some 160g only, for instance)

But the coolest thing is you can customize the paintjob to almost any color you want, and the price of the bike remains the same.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

corky

by corky

Also you can whack on 32mm knobblies and go groading........

JayDee81

by JayDee81

Do you know what is the spec of the Vision wheels that are specced on these bikes? Is it the Metron 40, or some other model?

JayDee81

by JayDee81

JayDee81 wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:30 am
Do you know what is the spec of the Vision wheels that are specced on these bikes? Is it the Metron 40, or some other model?
I'll answer myself. It's the new SC model. 1590 grams, 25.5 outer and 19 inner, aero spokes. It's on the Vision web.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

mrlobber wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:58 am
To be fully honest to Orbea, the only "bloated" integrated part is the stem (160g in 100mm, as per cyclingtips). The handlebar essentially is exchangeable to whatever you wish, even a Darimo - and the "integration" would almost be preserved as long as you keep the cables close to the bar. The seatpost, of course, could be lighter as well (Cervelo R5 non-setback version with titanium screws is some 160g only, for instance)

But the coolest thing is you can customize the paintjob to almost any color you want, and the price of the bike remains the same.
Be prepared for long lead times if you opt for the "my o" paintwork. They very well may have streamlined it by now, but my frame was the 9th to go through this new program in 2016. I ordered it in Jan 2016, and it arrived in July. Unbelievably long wait, but totally worth it. Their paint shop is superb. Far better than project one for example. Like no comparison. Not sure if it is still the same, but it should be. They have been doing this for a number of years now, so I'm sure they have become more efficient. Highly recommended.
Never cheer before you know who is winning