Orbea Orca 2020

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

emotive

by emotive

Koev wrote: Question:
Anyone have an idea for thru axles?
I have Hardlite thru axles on my gravel bike and Enquiried whether they have the correct length for my MY19 TCR. They have just finished their first production run of the correct size and should be for sale any day. I purchased on eBay but they also have a website.

Front for MY17-20 is M12 116mm long E-THRU 1.5mm thread pitch
Rear is 163mm E-THRU M12 1.5mm thread pitch

They have a number of other lengths and pitches available too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robeambro

by robeambro

Stendhal wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:14 am
robeambro wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:37 am
By the way, have there been any real world weights available for this? I'm puzzled as I've not seen any builds popping up here; is nobody buying it?

I see Stendhal has bought a very nice one, and I'm trying to track down the info. But ideally would be nice to have more sample data!
I live for this kind of inquiry, it's almost as fun as riding. Seriously, I want to know (really estimate) the weight before I buy if I can't weigh an actual model, and even then actual stock models are just a starting point because you have to see what you can do with a weight diet. If the weight for a road bike is too heavy (my tipping point is 7.6 kg depending on stiffness, heavier than that gets sluggish for me esp. on climbs), why bother unless you live in flatland and aero truly is everything?

To reiterate my Orca OMX is 7.3 kg with pedals but sans cage and mount, size 55.

The stock models have heavier wheels than mine (1460 g). I have the exact data on a spreadsheet on my desktop computer, but working from memory (just checked to the sites), there were 3 bike site reviews with reported actual weights without pedals when I was shopping. All were the eTap AXS variant (sadly this eTap is heavier than di2). One site had weight 7.35 kg for size 55, my size. This may have been the road.cc video review; the rider weighed the bike on camera. Bike Radar (Warren Rossiter) had 7.5 kg for size 57. The other site, Gran Fondo, had 7.43 kg for size 57. The closeness of these numbers suggests they are pretty accurate as to what to expect. There may be newer reviews out now, these were in place when I was planning the componentry for my frame on order.

I undercut these weights (remember mine includes pedals, the relatively mid weight Assioma single) by the wheels; by a lighter drive train, SRAM mechanical hydraulic disc with Easton EC90 47 \ 32 cranks; and by a haero 156g featherlight but stiff bar. On the negative side weight wise I am still using tubes, that plus size 32 tires (even though mine are shockingly light) probably add grams to the stock size 25 tubeless builds.

The stem and seat post are heavy (the stem is a 220 g anvil at size 110mm with the cable cover) but proprietary, so these otherwise excellent opportunities to cut weight can't be used. I suppose you could ditch the stem, but the stock stem is integral to the hidden cable routing. You could also try a radically light saddle such as a Berk; the stock is specced at 139g, my SWorks Power Arc is 143g. I would have saved 51 g by sticking with the Look Keo carbon blade pedals from my prior bike. And of course there are lighter disc wheels than my November RCG 36es.

If I were doing a re-do I may use lighter wheels (I actually bought lighter used wheels but they were defective) and a 50g heavier Pro Vibe Carbon aero bars.
Oh thanks! Seems like it's not a feather but totally not bad either.. I don't care much about weight but it's always nice to know. I think aesthetically I might like the new Emonda a bit better but the Omx is my backup choice :)

Koev

by Koev

Stendhal wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:14 am
robeambro wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:37 am
By the way, have there been any real world weights available for this? I'm puzzled as I've not seen any builds popping up here; is nobody buying it?

I see Stendhal has bought a very nice one, and I'm trying to track down the info. But ideally would be nice to have more sample data!
I live for this kind of inquiry, it's almost as fun as riding. Seriously, I want to know (really estimate) the weight before I buy if I can't weigh an actual model, and even then actual stock models are just a starting point because you have to see what you can do with a weight diet. If the weight for a road bike is too heavy (my tipping point is 7.6 kg depending on stiffness, heavier than that gets sluggish for me esp. on climbs), why bother unless you live in flatland and aero truly is everything?

To reiterate my Orca OMX is 7.3 kg with pedals but sans cage and mount, size 55.

The stock models have heavier wheels than mine (1460 g). I have the exact data on a spreadsheet on my desktop computer, but working from memory (just checked to the sites), there were 3 bike site reviews with reported actual weights without pedals when I was shopping. All were the eTap AXS variant (sadly this eTap is heavier than di2). One site had weight 7.35 kg for size 55, my size. This may have been the road.cc video review; the rider weighed the bike on camera. Bike Radar (Warren Rossiter) had 7.5 kg for size 57. The other site, Gran Fondo, had 7.43 kg for size 57. The closeness of these numbers suggests they are pretty accurate as to what to expect. There may be newer reviews out now, these were in place when I was planning the componentry for my frame on order.

I undercut these weights (remember mine includes pedals, the relatively mid weight Assioma single) by the wheels; by a lighter drive train, SRAM mechanical hydraulic disc with Easton EC90 47 \ 32 cranks; and by a haero 156g featherlight but stiff bar. On the negative side weight wise I am still using tubes, that plus size 32 tires (even though mine are shockingly light) probably add grams to the stock size 25 tubeless builds.

The stem and seat post are heavy (the stem is a 220 g anvil at size 110mm with the cable cover) but proprietary, so these otherwise excellent opportunities to cut weight can't be used. I suppose you could ditch the stem, but the stock stem is integral to the hidden cable routing. You could also try a radically light saddle such as a Berk; the stock is specced at 139g, my SWorks Power Arc is 143g. I would have saved 51 g by sticking with the Look Keo carbon blade pedals from my prior bike. And of course there are lighter disc wheels than my November RCG 36es.

If I were doing a re-do I may use lighter wheels (I actually bought lighter used wheels but they were defective) and a 50g heavier Pro Vibe Carbon aero bars.
Thank you very much for your extensive info sharing! awesome!
Mine will be delivered this friday, cant wait! going to climb some hills in germany in a couple of weeks, perfect test environment.

regarding the update ideas:
- my guestimate was 8,2ish kg, for my setup, would you like to place a bet aswell haha? :D
- thru axles, i've learned that the Orca OMX comes with 'double lead P1' thread', which is a double 1.0 thread. ill stick with the standard thruaxles and carry a tool.
- Easton is very uncommon here, but ill need a solution for this 925g crankset :oops: :oops: . but i dont know if it is even possible to detach the powerbox from the alloy cranks? Good idea for smaller rings, but 34/50 is the minimum for around here. (friends ride 39/53)
- another alternative to the bars you proposed might be the Metron 5d ACR, total at 363g (110x420). not the lightest but still ok i guess. also expect this ACR to be compatible with the headset of the OMX so keep the clean looks.
- I didnt know that the testmodels where tubeless haha, cant count on that then. Still, the hutchinsons are very heavy so they need to be replaced (after some test miles)
- Great idea for the cassette, written it down for my investment plans.
- I've read that orbea offers a separate thru axle specially for placing the OMX on a trainer. after rethinking this, i suppose this is for wheel-on trainers, to clamp the rear on the trainer. for a direct drive (like my tacx neo2), I suppose you can just use the axle which comes with the trainer (ill check this later).
- Does a direct mount makes sense? i dont know if this is standard or not.

Anyone tried light gravel roads with this bike, how does it handle? I might try some light offroading.

Cheers.
my myo setup
my myo setup
Dutch

Orbea Orca OMX 2020
Startersbike: Cube Attain 2017 (mounted@ Tacx Neo2)

barbaar

by barbaar

Small kick..

Anyone ever ordered an Orbea with Campy? Is that possible, or will that come down to buying a frameset and build it yourself (not a problem either btw)
Fuctor Ostro - Campy EPS SR Disc 12sp/P2M NG
Ridley R12 - Campy EPS Record 11sp/P2M NGEco
Thrust something - Campy Chorus/Record mechanical/P2M NGEco

No, that's not a typo

tarkus

by tarkus

the last time i had contact with orbea (jan. 2020) the omx was NOT compatible with campy.
apparently the connectors would not fit through certain holes. but you could use a drill to widen them...somebody said (in a forum).
i went cervelo because of this.

Gesendet von meinem LM-Q610.FGN mit Tapatalk

LainOTN

by LainOTN

Based on the blue paper seems that is only compatible with Campy 11 speed ??

https://www.orbea.com/downloads/product ... 20_EN_.pdf
Attachments
OMX.PNG
Last edited by LainOTN on Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

tarkus

by tarkus

LainOTN wrote:Based on the blu paper seems that is only compatible with Campy 11 speed ??

https://www.orbea.com/downloads/product ... 20_EN_.pdf
true sorry. was talkin about campy 12 electric. david from orbea said 11 and 12 mechanical are not problem.

barbaar

by barbaar

Thanks for this info!

I will check if this has changed for the 2021 model. Hopefully, it has....

No, that's not a typo

Swannie

by Swannie

Who makes those framesets? Local lbs is sure those are (hand)made in Spain, not Taiwan or another asian country.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

At least 4-5 years back they were made in the same factory where Specialized is.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

tarkus

by tarkus

there is a video from GCN on youtube where they are at the spanish factory. but it was some time before omx.

andertxu

by andertxu

barbaar wrote:Small kick..

Anyone ever ordered an Orbea with Campy? Is that possible, or will that come down to buying a frameset and build it yourself (not a problem either btw)
You'll need a drill and some sandpaper, but it's possible.Image

Enviado desde mi Mi MIX 2S mediante Tapatalk

barbaar

by barbaar

andertxu wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:32 pm
barbaar wrote:Small kick..

You'll need a drill and some sandpaper, but it's possible.Image

Nice! Orbea confirmed the current aero frame is not compatible. The OMX 2021 I don't know yet.

Can you tell me what the exact problem is en what to drill/sandpaper?

No, that's not a typo

andertxu

by andertxu

Just drill the RD cable hole a bit and remove some material from the PU connector in order to pass through the chainstay.
And also a small cut in the part between the steerer tube and the top headset bearing, through which the brake hoses pass, to be able to put the interface cable in.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

barbaar

by barbaar

In the meantime, I got confirmation from both Orbea and my LBS (Who also checked at Orbea) that the 2021 Orca OMX is Campy SR Disc EPS compatible.

If only I could make up my mind about going aero (non-Orbea), and if not what color combo Orca OMX I want ;)

No, that's not a typo