Orbea Orca 2020

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tarkus

by tarkus

teebs wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:50 pm
I think that's the issue, I ordered through my LBS..
anyway, keep me posted. I might have some questions eventually ;)

teebs

by teebs

tarkus wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:35 pm
teebs wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:50 pm
I think that's the issue, I ordered through my LBS..
anyway, keep me posted. I might have some questions eventually ;)
No problem, will put a post up when I receive it..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tarkus

by tarkus

hey guys! since i am looking for components for the omx i checked "blue paper" on orbea's website.

there it says that the frame is only compatible with campy 11speed and battery v3 only.

can that really be? sent a message to orbea the other day...no answer yet.

tarkus

by tarkus

hi guys, just an update if somebody is interested.
the omx frame is not compatible with any EPS version at the moment.
12sp is ok though.

Gesendet von meinem LM-Q610.FGN mit Tapatalk

teebs

by teebs

My Orca omx MyO order has been delayed until early January now due to a component shortage. The weather here in the UK is really poor at the moment so its not a concern.

Question if anyone can answer for me, I've ordered the upgraded saddle 'Selle Italia carbonio Flow', can anyone point me to exactly which saddle it is, google seems to get confused...

Neillp

by Neillp

Hi all new here and considering the OMX along with the Addict RC and Super Six Evo.

I found this review which was an interesting read.

https://www.3bikes.fr/2019/12/19/journa ... rca-omx-1/

I used Chrome translate to get it into english.

Has anyone actually got there hands on one yet?

Cheers

Neill

teebs

by teebs

Still waiting for mine, it should've been dispatched at the end of last week so fingers crossed for this upcoming week...

Stendhal

by Stendhal

teebs wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:08 pm
Still waiting for mine, it should've been dispatched at the end of last week so fingers crossed for this upcoming week...
Looking forward to this!

As much as I like my S-Works Tarmac rim bike, I'm ready to sell it (anyone interested in a great deal?) and completely switch over to disc brakes (due to bad local roads, favoring wider tires, wanting more confidence descending, and megetting older). As of now, the OMX has two unique competitive advantages in the disc brake \ road geometry market, which bely the refrain "it's just like all the other dropped seatstay bikes":

* myO, the killer no extra charge paint customization program (you can even include your name or other words at no upcharge)
* 32mm tire clearance (allegedly). The only other road-ish bike I can think of that has this clearance is the soon-to-be-late, lamented Cervelo C series (no longer sold as a complete bike above the Ultegra level), which has an endurance geormetry. I don't count the Domane because it's too far heavy to be a climbing bike, also I tried it and did not like it at all.

In addition, I am sure the wide stance fork is oustanding because I rode the Pinarellu Dogma F8 and F10, which have a similar fork albeit 30 grame heavier. (It was the best thing about those bikes). Thus, while the OMX is not competely unique on this element, it's relatively special. Plus it has the Orbea heritage, which I respect.

I think the price is excellent given the quaity of the components (the stock Selle Italia saddle and all the wheels are aces) and the competition. Holding the drivetrain constant, it's cheaper than the Tarmac, all the Treks, the Cervelo R5 and S5, and both new Cannondales. The Giant TCR is cheaper as a frameset but not at the full-bike level. Sure the direct-sale Canyon Ultimate is lower priced and lighter, but (1) I can't test ride it in advance; (2) I've never seen published tire clearance data but surely as an older model it is low, perhaps not even 28mm; (3) at any given time, the only coloway option may be same-old black. The same is true for the dark horse candidate Rose X-Light. (I'm also looking at both Ridleys because I liked the Noah I rode a few years ago, and the new De Rosa Merak.)

The OMX weight is right in the middle for a disc bike (see for example the 11 bikes in the latest Gran Fondo race bike comparison), but there's room to cut in the wheels: The three (!) stock options in myO have published weights of 1620 g (Mavic Ksyrium Pro Carbon), 1577 g (DT Swiss ARC 1400 Dicut 48), and 1590 g (Vision S40 SC Disc Carbon TL). I am not looking for larger rim depth aero-ish wheels and will swap out for lighter, lower depth wheels -- perhaps the Light Bicycle wheels praised on this board (1361g at 36mm depth) , or November 36mm Industy Nine wheels at 1460g, or the November 28mm I9 wheels I have on my other bike at 1420 g (they are great). Opting for the Vision (fine wheels) on myO saves $495 from the list price and I'll sell the Visions or keep them as flat road aero spares . You can also switch on myO from the stock Orbea carbon bars (220g per a third party site) to the alloy bars and save $185, which should be enough to buy sub-200g bars = thus at no extra total charge you save weight and have an extra set of bars, the Orbea alloys.
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

RedbullFiXX

by RedbullFiXX

I like that new OMX :thumbup: , the OMR was high on my shopping list 3 yrs ago
The myo configuration options are impressive
I'm sure you will enjoy that new bike !

Decided to go with a Canyon CF SLX Disc, and I must say the customer support experience, with Canyon USA has been very good
Rear tire clearance at least 30mm, as I've used 28mm tires which mounted measured 30+mm
Front, tire clearance, 32mm +
My SLX size (S=54 )weighs in at just under 6.8kg
Cages, computer mount, pedals incl.
Cyclocross, in general, is about riding the wrong bike for the conditions.

Stendhal

by Stendhal

RedbullFiXX wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:03 am
I like that new OMX :thumbup: , the OMR was high on my shopping list 3 yrs ago
The myo configuration options are impressive
I'm sure you will enjoy that new bike !

Decided to go with a Canyon CF SLX Disc, and I must say the customer support experience, with Canyon USA has been very good
Rear tire clearance at least 30mm, as I've used 28mm tires which mounted measured 30+mm
Front, tire clearance, 32mm +
My SLX size (S=54 )weighs in at just under 6.8kg
Cages, computer mount, pedals incl.
This is very helpful! When the latest Ultimate was introduced there wasn't the interest in tire clearance, so to my recollection that metric was not reported. Thank you :thumbup: :beerchug:
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

Stendhal

by Stendhal

I stand corrected on the set of 32mm clearance spec road bikes. There's at least one important addition: the Venge, per two review sites (not independently confirmed). Very interesting!

Cycling Weekly claimed that their Foil test bike 28mms with actual width = 30mm fit, and that it appeared that anything up to 35 mm might fit

Per quick Internet research, here other tire clearances. Some are based on manufactuer official claimed numbers. Of course actual measured widths are the better metric than the ERTO spec number, and actual widths can vary depending on the rims -- my list here does not purport to be precise in the real world.

Propel -- 28mm
TCR -- 28 mm, there's a colloquy on this on this site...even the industry wide leader Continental 4000 fit at size 28 mm
Teammachine and Timemachine -- 28 mm
Aeroad -- two sites claimed 28 mm and some 30 mms will fit
R5 -- Cervelo says up to measured 30mm width
S5 -- per a site, "Cervelo claims the S5 will swallow 30mm tires with ease, while the S3 has been optimised for 28mm tires."
Madone -- per Velo News, "Officially, you’ll be able to fit 28mm rubber in there, but there’s plenty of clearance to run a larger tire. 30mm for sure; 32mm is a possibility"
Emonda -- posters on this site already figured this out, 28 mm
SystemSix -- Bicycling mag reports: "Cannondale designed this bike with 26mm tires in mind and claims the bike can officially accept 28mm models. Unofficially, it also fits some 30mm tires."
SuperSix -- 30 mm. I'm sure Damon Rinard knows the exact details and can explain if needed :thumbup:
Dogma F12 -- per Pinarello as quoted by Bike Rumor, "...the Dogma F12 and F12 Disk are designed to accommodate 28mm tire clearance. In reality the tire clearance is 37.5mm, however we have included consideration for the ISO 4210 norm, which specifies 4mm space between the tire and frame. Analyzing several tire and rim combinations we have given a declared value of 28m. In reality a declared 28mm tire can have a real width of 29.5mm. That’s the reason why the frame has been designed with 37.5mm clearance. This allowed the F12 frame to be compatible with all the most aerodynamic wheels that has a 30mm width.”
C64 -- true clearance on rim = 36.5 mm = fits most 28 mm tires; Colnago said a bit more on the disc
Helium -- 28 mm official
Noah -- Canadian Cycling site opined it looked like up to 30 mm actual could fit based on 25 mm on test bike
Gallium and Nitrogen -- 28 mm
Xelius -- 28 mm (can't figure out the Aircode)
Scultura disc -- 25 mm per road.cc, but Bahrain-Merida site says 28 mm
Reacto -- 28 mm
Alfa disc -- 30 mm

Would 28mm have been almost unanimous 5 years ago? The majority, as recently as 3 years ago? Interesting.

teebs

by teebs

teebs wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:08 pm
She's arrived. :D
Attachments
20200124_152352_resize_24.jpg

tarkus

by tarkus

very nice! looks really stunning. like the color.
handlebar looks like it needs a little twist ;)
first ride done?
what kind of wheels?

teebs

by teebs

tarkus wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:17 pm
very nice! looks really stunning. like the color.
handlebar looks like it needs a little twist ;)
first ride done?
what kind of wheels?

Thanks. I have my final fit on the bike next week as I'm awaiting a different saddle and to fit the power meter, I'm sure we'll adjust the bars during the session.
The wheels are the upgrade Mavic Pro Carbon with 25mm tyres that I'll run tubeless.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tarkus

by tarkus

have you weight it already?
which botte cages? :) i need details ;)