US Customs and international Frameset purchase

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RussellS

by RussellS

GothicCastle wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:44 am
I don’t believe I’ve ever been charged import duty for things shipped from Europe.
Agree. I've ordered thousands of dollars (same order) of goods from Europe many times and never paid any customs or import charges. An entire Di2 groupset is about the same total cost as a frameset. But each individual item in the Di2 groupset is less than the cost of the frameset. Not sure if the price of each item or the total cost is most important.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

It also depends on how the customs form is filled out and whether or not they check your package. I had a framset come over from the UK several years ago and with USPS delivering they had to collect over $100 in customs charges - I was billed at 11% for bicycle parts. It took forever, but I was able to recover all of it (except for the $7 USPS service fee) by appealing or fighting with customs since I use the frame for commuting to work. That took forever though. Other's seem to be a lot luckier than I was, although it would have been well worth it even if I had lost the fight with customs.
Speedplay is the devil!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

GothicCastle

by GothicCastle

addictR1 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:07 am
Which site did you order from?
Directly from Officina Battaglin. I happened to check the paperwork today. They declared the full value of the frame, but USPS didn’t collect any duty.

addictR1

by addictR1

GothicCastle wrote:
addictR1 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:07 am
Which site did you order from?
Directly from Officina Battaglin. I happened to check the paperwork today. They declared the full value of the frame, but USPS didn’t collect any duty.
Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NTX

by NTX

Just following-up on my origional post. Got a call from UPS yesterday about my shipment and I inquired about the duty. UPS had classified the shipment as bike parts (with a 10% duty) rather than a frameset (with 3.9% duty). When I mention that I had done some research and was expecting the duty to be 3.9% the rep offered to look at the tariff schedule again. He found the frame set specific duty and happily changes the declaration. It clearly paid to do some research on the customs site and make sure the brokerage has the right classification.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

When parts arrive in Canada you never know what you will get.. I find anything coming from the US to Canada via postal service under $100, customs doesn't care and it goes through.. if that same package comes via UPS or FEDEX, you will get dinged for sure.. I think its more of their service fee they want to collect than anything (Generally at least $10) parts coming from Europe are always unknown as well.. I went 3 orders in a row from Europe worth significant value and never got charged a cent, this last rather small order from bike24 got slammed by customs for $60 and was held by customs for a week... my Campy direct mount brakes worth twice the amount of the charged order went right through customs with no charges applied.. anything from Europe via the major courier companies (UPS, Fedex, or DHL) is gauranteed charges regardless of value... In canada there is no duty for "bike parts" we just get slammed with provincial tax and goods/service tax so for me 13%, only complete bikes have a duty which can be another 10%.... it all depends on the guy who does your assesment, I had a seatpost come from FSA in the states where they charged me everything they could.. I submitted back for the unapplicable duty.. it took 6 weeks, but I got my $20 back...