US Customs and international Frameset purchase

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

NTX

by NTX

I’ve searched the site but haven’t seen anything recent about experience purchasing a Frameset internationally and shipping to the US. I’ve also looked on the US government website and found a couple of conflicting percentages but nothing concrete or clear to me.

Has anyone here done this recently? If so any feedback on what kind of duty I can expect or any other advice or watch outs?

I’m looking at a Colnago and the cost is dramatically less so it seems like an international purchase could be worth the hassle and a bit of risk. Seller/shop does seem legitimate and they have been responsive with my questions. I don’t think I’d be able to justify the bike purchase if I was buying here it in the US.

Thanks in advance for any insight or information.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

uraqt

by uraqt

In late 2012 I didn't pay anything .. purchased from slane cycles in Belfast to US California...

3 or 4 years ago buying something differnt, I tried to read thoose same US gov pages and it was a mess, i feel your pain....

Not alot of help ...

Sorry

C

sennder

by sennder

I purchased a Trek Domane SLR frameset for sigmasports.co.uk last year. The frameset was around $1950. Sigma Sports directly charged me ~$100 for customs while ordering. I didn't have to pay anything at delivery.

Hope this helps.

--Sennder

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Duty should be 4.7% under WTO tarriffs. Sales tax should be payable when it lands too. What you end up paying depends on declared value.

GothicCastle

by GothicCastle

I just received a frame from Italy. The final delivery was via the USPS and I was surprised that they didn’t charge me duty. I have another coming in a month or so. I’m hoping the same thing happens, but I suspect it has to do with a combination of carrier and how it is declared.

I don’t believe I’ve ever been charged import duty for things shipped from Europe.

octave

by octave

i bought a frame from merlin in the uk last year, delivered to the us. dhl then usps i believe... $1250 for the frame, then $50~ in duties once it landed stateside...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sfo423

by sfo423

Can you have eu retailer mnark the box somehow to avoid duty fees?

AJS914

by AJS914

It seems to be related to who delivers it. When things gets shipped to me via EMS or Royal Mail and then delivered by the USPS I never get any customs charges. When UPS or DHL get involved with an international shipment they seem to find a way to take a big cut.

sfo423

by sfo423

I read somewhere (can't remember where....meaning you can't believe everything) that if its marked 'parts' its not subject to customs. I'll have a frame & group coming from Holland via FedEx shortly. I'd like to advise sender if possible on how to help me avoid additiona fees.

asiantrick

by asiantrick

AJS914 wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:54 pm
It seems to be related to who delivers it. When things gets shipped to me via EMS or Royal Mail and then delivered by the USPS I never get any customs charges. When UPS or DHL get involved with an international shipment they seem to find a way to take a big cut.
This is correct. I had 3 frames delivered from outside of State. 2 from UPS which charged me for duty fee ($70-$90) and 1 from USPS which I never got charged.

AJS914

by AJS914

I wonder if UPS goes out of their way to comply with some law and the USPS doesn't bother or if UPS is somehow also taking a cut for "brokering" the customs process.

ms6073

by ms6073

sfo423 wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:22 pm
I read somewhere (can't remember where....meaning you can't believe everything) that if its marked 'parts' its not subject to customs.
Sort of topic drift, but it is best to keep in mind that countries have very explicit regulations regarding the classification of items for import and export, regardless of whether it is from a company or an individual. Also keep in mind that with the current administration in the US' views on trade, the fines and penalties associated with falsifying import documents can include seizure/forfeiture of the items being imported. Back on topic, last year I purchased two open mold frames from China which were delivered via EMS/USPS with no issues, while a couple years previous, a pair of Sidi shoes from a company in Italy were delivered via DHL and 2-weeks later I got an invoice from a customs brokerage in Florida for US $48!
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Orbital

by Orbital

AJS914 wrote:I wonder if UPS goes out of their way to comply with some law and the USPS doesn't bother or if UPS is somehow also taking a cut for "brokering" the customs process.
Any shipment via a carrier other than post will have brokerage fees applied and the actual duties charged. I’m not sure how USPS is, but I suspect it’s similar to how Canada Post works. They work directly with customs and don’t charge brokerage to clear your items. There is a cap dollar amount for imported items. If your declared value is over that cap, expect to pay duty.

NTX

by NTX

After my origional post I found a listing of duty and it looks like frames above $600 are 3.9%. I asked the shop in Italy if they had any idea what I should expect and they said 4%. Give these two pieces of information I pulled the trigger and bought the frameset. Fingers crossed this works out for me. If there are no surprises it could turn out to be a pretty good deal.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

addictR1

by addictR1

GothicCastle wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:44 am
I just received a frame from Italy. The final delivery was via the USPS and I was surprised that they didn’t charge me duty. I have another coming in a month or so. I’m hoping the same thing happens, but I suspect it has to do with a combination of carrier and how it is declared.

I don’t believe I’ve ever been charged import duty for things shipped from Europe.
Which site did you order from?