New Continental 5000s tires - the CLINCHER (not TL) thread

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Hexsense wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:08 am
Not sure if it's placebo or anything, but my rear tire GP5000 slip a little bit more often than GP Force III i used before...
Any verification that their grip is not worse than GP4000sII ?

This is what I've perceived with the GP5K compound in wet or dry conditions in standing starts or up steeper grades.

rides4beer

by rides4beer

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:15 am
Hexsense wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:08 am
Not sure if it's placebo or anything, but my rear tire GP5000 slip a little bit more often than GP Force III i used before...
Any verification that their grip is not worse than GP4000sII ?

This is what I've perceived with the GP5K compound in wet or dry conditions in standing starts or up steeper grades.
I only have two dry rides on them, but grip seems good. There's a steep section that I hit on the Tuesday night group ride that I sometimes slip on with the GP4Ks, didn't have any slip last night, but maybe I hit my gear change a lil better last night lol

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jj911c2

by jj911c2

I am using the 28mm size and find the wet weather grip is significantly lower than the 4k when climbing steep hills. I get lots of rear tire spinning on same hills I can get up fine with 4ks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

robertbb

by robertbb

jj911c2 wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:40 pm
I am using the 28mm size and find the wet weather grip is significantly lower than the 4k when climbing steep hills. I get lots of rear tire spinning on same hills I can get up fine with 4ks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This seems common. My feel on it currently is that in the pursuit of lower CRR, they've sacrificed grip under certain conditions.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

I'm a Michelin pro 4 endurance buyer but I see that everyone loves the Conti 5000's. They ride well and have low roll resistance and a decent tread count. For a lot of buyers puncture resistance is low down the list and its clear that's driving Continental's design.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

frommel

by frommel

I for one value grip above RR. I want to feel confident that my tire won’t slip from under me when cornering at high speed down a mountain or when hitting a small puddle on the bike trail.
I have been waiting for the 5000TL to finally arrive here in the US and it looks like this week might be the week when my LBS will get some in.
Reading this made me suddenly second guess my decision.
If the 5000 is less grippy than the 4000 then maybe I should look to getting the Vittoria TL tires.
What do others recommend. Fast and grippy with an emphasis on grippy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dim

by dim

frommel wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:21 am
I for one value grip above RR. I want to feel confident that my tire won’t slip from under me when cornering at high speed down a mountain or when hitting a small puddle on the bike trail.
I have been waiting for the 5000TL to finally arrive here in the US and it looks like this week might be the week when my LBS will get some in.
Reading this made me suddenly second guess my decision.
If the 5000 is less grippy than the 4000 then maybe I should look to getting the Vittoria TL tires.
What do others recommend. Fast and grippy with an emphasis on grippy.

I've been using the 5000TL for the past week (only 159.3km so far), but most of it has been in the rain here in Cambridge UK

Mine are very good as far as wet grip is concerned and they roll very fast .... Not sure how they would work in icy conditions, but I use other tyres during winter

I'm well pleased so far and highly recomend them
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

frommel

by frommel

Thanks.

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

I still haven't ridden the 5000's in the wet, so can't comment there.

But yesterday I had to make a sudden stop on a dry downhill and got an unexpected and quite significant rear lockup. Of course that can happen on a downhill stop but it came as a surprise to me - pretty sure it wouldn't've happened on the 4000's I've been riding for years (including making the exact same stop many times - I ride that route a lot).

This is comparing 25mm (measuring now 26.1mm) 5000 clinchers with 23mm (measured 26.6mm) 4000 clinchers on Boras.

Only one instance of the issue so not exactly a scientifically significant sample size, but just my 2c.

robertbb

by robertbb

Are you saying they locked up because they grip better...?

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

No, the opposite.

Only happened the one time, but does suggest that the 5000 has less grip than the old favorite 4000S2.

:? :cry:

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

My bike came with conti 5000's. I immediately swapped them for Michelin pro 4 endurance, but I"m not sure the Michelin's would do that much better than the conti's on wet roads. I think I've experienced the same thing.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

rides4beer

by rides4beer

Got caught in a downpour for the last 30 miles of my ride today, had no grip issues at all with the GP5Ks. But as GearJunkie mentioned, I have noticed the rear skids much easier than the GP4Ks, so I'll just be more careful with the rear brake.

frommel

by frommel

Gearjunkie wrote:No, the opposite.

Only happened the one time, but does suggest that the 5000 has less grip than the old favorite 4000S2.

:? :cry:
Any chance that this is just because they are new and needs to be roughed up a bit first to have better grip? Grasping at straws here, otherwise I need to look at other options. Don’t want to worry about tires slipping out from under me!

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

Maybe but I don't think so - had about 300 - 400km on them by that stage.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com