New Continental 5000s tires - the CLINCHER (not TL) thread

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

dorin wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:45 pm
They may be better on dry but on wet they are plain nightmare!
A few days ago I bought a pair of 5k and went for a spin. They felt fast so I was encouraged to push it. Was about to do a fast left turn so I went close to the right side first, where I encountered some wet dirt (rained a couple h before) . It was like someone pulled the bike from under me at 37kph, about 2500e damage (broken frame and other bits) not to mention my skin, ribs, wrists, clothes. Now, I can't really blame the tires. It is just a coincidence most likley. I think I would have had a big problem with anything but a MTB, still it is hair rising to recall how quickly it ran off from unde me. I'm sure they are ok as long as extra care is taken in the wet.

Here is a photo of the (now dry) crime scene a couple days later
Attachments
IMG_20190804_215911.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Methodical

by Methodical

robertbb wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:20 am
Thanks pdlpsher1!

So on 17c rims (e.g current Bora):

25mm GP5000's measure: 26.1 (after 80k ride)
28mm GP5000's measure: 27.8mm @ 85psi (after a few weeks)
Disregard
Last edited by Methodical on Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

'20 Emonda SLR (Rage Red) - 6.27kg (6.04kg;no pedals)
'12 Madone (Black) - 6.96kg (6.73kg;no pedals)
Fujee Espree (Maroon) - 11.02kg

Methodical

by Methodical

Alexandrumarian wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:56 pm
dorin wrote:
A few days ago I bought a pair of 5k and went for a spin. They felt fast so I was encouraged to push it. Was about to do a fast left turn so I went close to the right side first, where I encountered some wet dirt (rained a couple h before) . It was like someone pulled the bike from under me at 37kph, about 2500e damage (broken frame and other bits) not to mention my skin, ribs, wrists, clothes. Now, I can't really blame the tires. It is just a coincidence most likley. I think I would have had a big problem with anything but a MTB, still it is hair rising to recall how quickly it ran off from unde me. I'm sure they are ok as long as extra care is taken in the wet.

Nah, can't blame the tires on that one.
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

'20 Emonda SLR (Rage Red) - 6.27kg (6.04kg;no pedals)
'12 Madone (Black) - 6.96kg (6.73kg;no pedals)
Fujee Espree (Maroon) - 11.02kg

Stueys

by Stueys

Methodical wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:37 pm
Alexandrumarian wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:56 pm
dorin wrote:

Nah, can't blame the tires on that one.
I always think brand new tyres are sketchy in the wet until they’ve had some scrubbing on that initial surface

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

“Wet dirt” aka mud or almost mud. It’s a sharp transition in surface grip...while cornering...on narrow slicks. I wouldn’t blame the tires either...that is a tough ask of any road tire.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

They actualy did not feel slick/oily out of the box. Not nearly as grabby as say a Veloflex but not worse than the average rubber. I was even wondering why are people complaining so much.

Yap truly mud, rained hard before. My fault for picking an unfortunate line...

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Methodical wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:16 pm

Just to clarify, the GP5k 28mm is actually 28mm and don't balloon to some oversize tire, correct. I have GP4kIIs in both the 25 and 28s and even at 80/90 psi, the 25s are over 28mm and the 28s are like 31+mm and really tall on my wheels.
It sized very similar to GP4K 25c, period. I can not say it'll be 28mm because it only is on some specific rim.

On my 23mm internal width rim:
Continental GP Force III 25c 30.1mm
Continental GP 4000sII 25c 30.1mm
Continental GP5000 28c 30.15mm, later stretch to 30.3mm
Alexandrumarian wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:05 pm
They actualy did not feel slick/oily out of the box. Not nearly as grabby as say a Veloflex but not worse than the average rubber. I was even wondering why are people complaining so much.
That's their selling point. They said it grip very well out of the box, without worn in (laser grip etc.). It's just that it's grip doesn't improve to the same lavel of some other tire at its mid life.

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

Hexsense wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:39 pm
Methodical wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:16 pm

Just to clarify, the GP5k 28mm is actually 28mm and don't balloon to some oversize tire, correct. I have GP4kIIs in both the 25 and 28s and even at 80/90 psi, the 25s are over 28mm and the 28s are like 31+mm and really tall on my wheels.
It sized very similar to GP4K 25c, period. I can not say it'll be 28mm because it only is on some specific rim.

On my 23mm internal width rim:
Continental GP Force III 25c 30.1mm
Continental GP 4000sII 25c 30.1mm
Continental GP5000 28c 30.15mm, later stretch to 30.3mm
Alexandrumarian wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:05 pm
That's their selling point. They said it grip very well out of the box, without worn in (laser grip etc.). It's just that it's grip doesn't improve to the same lavel of some other tire at its mid life.
Do they actually claim that there is no "mold release" on their tires? Most vulcanized tires have a slick silicone (or something like it) coating that is sprayed in the mold before adding the rubber to allow them to release cleanly. Scrubbing them in with gentle riding is usually enough, but it can be a little tricky as if you don't get the bike leaned over there may be some residue on the shoulders that you find out about at the worst possible moment. I like to ride on a soft sandy/gravely surface, that the tires can sink into, and lean the bike over far to the left and right, in order to more thoroughly scrub the whole surface, before hitting any challening turns.

szazbo

by szazbo

On motos you are always cautioned to break in your tires for 100 miles or so before pushing them. I once watched a highway patrol officer leaving the BMW dealership with his RT patrol bike with new tires dump it on the street turning out of the parking lot. He was more than a little embarassed

Hexsense

by Hexsense

TheKaiser wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:41 pm
Do they actually claim that there is no "mold release" on their tires? Most vulcanized tires have a slick silicone (or something like it) coating that is sprayed in the mold before adding the rubber to allow them to release cleanly. Scrubbing them in with gentle riding is usually enough, but it can be a little tricky as if you don't get the bike leaned over there may be some residue on the shoulders that you find out about at the worst possible moment. I like to ride on a soft sandy/gravely surface, that the tires can sink into, and lean the bike over far to the left and right, in order to more thoroughly scrub the whole surface, before hitting any challening turns.
They do not claim there is no mold release. They only use marketing ploy that they laser etched the tire pattern instead of having it mold in, resulting in a tire that is ready to use out of the box (what they called Laser Grip or whatever it is). That trick people to think the tire grip better than previous gen and no further question asked about grip. It is true when comparing new vs new, but not really moderate life vs moderate life.

Out of the box, the tire doesn't show clear sign of mold release. Far cry from Michelin Power Competition that leave a lot of white waxy substance all over the place, Continental GP5000 is colored deep black and doesn't feel slippery. Whatever they do to the tire (pre scratching?), it help the grip out of the box.

skyliner1004

by skyliner1004

i have the 25mm Gp5000, I weigh 160. whats a good pressure to run on medium/good roads?
2018 Supersix Evo Hi-Mod Disc Dura-Ace
Conti SS + Gp5000
3t Ernova Team
Garmin 520 Plus
Look Keo Blade 2 Carbon Ti
15lb 15oz

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

skyliner1004 wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:16 pm
i have the 25mm Gp5000, I weigh 160. whats a good pressure to run on medium/good roads?

For the tubetype clincher, 85-90psi

dorin

by dorin

dorin wrote:
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:17 am
dorin wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:39 pm
For the first time I had a crash due to skidding tires, GP5000, ok I was fast, about 45km/hr in a 180 curve, when I leaned to take the curve the bike flew from under me. Not saying is the gp’s fault only, but I don’t think I was way faster than normal, could also have been dirty road, Dolomites, Sud Tirol. And had two punctures on Tubolito tubes (used them first each of them in this combination), so i’d Say normal, but not “oh my, bomb proof”

I've been saying all along in the tubeless GP5K thread (why are there even two threads?) that the grip isn't stellar. Average at best, probably slightly worse than Hutchinson Fusion 5s...maybe equal to Schwalbe Pro Ones. If you want a noticeable improvement in grip, go with the Corsa G2.0s.
They may be better on dry but on wet they are plain nightmare! I now love the looks of cotton tire, I just ordered the Specialized Turbo Cotton, let’s see how they fare
Just to make it clear, I meant the Corsa G2.0 are horrible on wet, not the Conti. And I don’t mean skidding on dusty roads or gravel, good quality paved road, once is a film of water I had a walk on memory lane of first time I tried to brake on wet with carbon wheels (before NSW times)

robertbb

by robertbb

So what's the verdict on these? Grip not quite as good as the 4000s2's?

morrisond

by morrisond

Close enough to not make a difference - after break in they are better - kind of slick when new.

If you find a great deal on 4000's - Buy them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com