New Continental 5000s tires - the CLINCHER (not TL) thread

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
dricked

by dricked

Mine measured 24.5mm (23) and 26mm (25) on an 18mm internal width rim.

CAAD8FRED

by CAAD8FRED

Can the GP5000TL be used as a clincher, or is it TL only?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dan112

by Dan112

CAAD8FRED wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 2:24 am
You can buy the clincher or TL both available

CAAD8FRED

by CAAD8FRED

Dan112 wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 4:19 am
CAAD8FRED wrote:
My LBS put the TL tire on my clincher set-up and said it’s fine. I feel like it isn’t, but can’t find any info online and wanted to prod around.

dim

by dim

CAAD8FRED wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 4:49 am
Dan112 wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 4:19 am
CAAD8FRED wrote:
My LBS put the TL tire on my clincher set-up and said it’s fine. I feel like it isn’t, but can’t find any info online and wanted to prod around.
I had this discussion with my son a few weeks ago .... he says that you can use tubeless tyres on clincher rims and the only difference is that the tubeless tyres have a stronger sidewall? .... I have not found any info on this though
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

Jugi

by Jugi

CAAD8FRED wrote: My LBS put the TL tire on my clincher set-up and said it’s fine. I feel like it isn’t, but can’t find any info online and wanted to prod around.
Could you explain your suspicion? Technically, in a tubeless setup pressurized air is trapped via a rubber tire, a carbon or aluminum rim, a valve and possibly rim tape. In a traditional clincher setup, air is trapped in an additional rubber inner tube. Outer tire sits on the rim exactly like when installed tubeless. Sure, you aren't riding the most optimal configuration with a TL tire and an inner tube, but the rolling resistance difference is within single digits per tire. Bigger difference in efficiency results by ducking your head 10cm/4" lower at high speeds.

In my opinion the sidewalls of high performance road tires are relatively sensitive across the whole model range, so wouldn't expect much difference in that regard.

zefs

by zefs

Tubeless tires can be used with tubes on tubeless wheels, but don't use tubeless tires on non-tubeless wheels.

CAAD8FRED

by CAAD8FRED

zefs wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 8:02 am
Tubeless tires can be used with tubes on tubeless wheels, but don't use tubeless tires on non-tubeless wheels.
Thanks

CAAD8FRED

by CAAD8FRED

Jugi wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 7:12 am
CAAD8FRED wrote: My LBS put the TL tire on my clincher set-up and said it’s fine. I feel like it isn’t, but can’t find any info online and wanted to prod around.
Could you explain your suspicion? Technically, in a tubeless setup pressurized air is trapped via a rubber tire, a carbon or aluminum rim, a valve and possibly rim tape. In a traditional clincher setup, air is trapped in an additional rubber inner tube. Outer tire sits on the rim exactly like when installed tubeless. Sure, you aren't riding the most optimal configuration with a TL tire and an inner tube, but the rolling resistance difference is within single digits per tire. Bigger difference in efficiency results by ducking your head 10cm/4" lower at high speeds.

In my opinion the sidewalls of high performance road tires are relatively sensitive across the whole model range, so wouldn't expect much difference in that regard.
Some TL tires like Zipp Tangente say Tubeless Only on them

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

I've got about 1,500 miles on mine (23F 25R).

I was initially concerned about longevity - I got a 1cm cut on day 2 on a wet drag. I was chasing a KOM and just went over some medium-ish stones that were in the best line. I was pretty annoyed and wondered how they'd last if you could inflict a cut that early on.

After that incident they seemed almost indestructible to be fair - no cuts for ages. The rear has now softened a bit and I sustained a few small cuts, but it's still a rarity and nothing seems to bed into the tyre. I still ride them without any worry for stones or bad patches of road.

Talking of stones, I have had 1 puncture so far, which was a razorblade of a flint that went in horizontally across the rear tyre a few weeks ago. That may have taken out any tyre to be fair... Other than that they're still holding up fine - and seem to have plenty of life left according to the wear indicators (a nice touch missing from other tyres I've used before).

I haven't found them to be unreliable in rain. Have used them in showers and once on a fast group ride where we got absolutely soaked. There was no slippage whatsoever.

My only other observation is that they're noticably quieter than my outgoing Michelin Pro 4 SC, and the testing does suggest pretty good CRR. I like em so much I decided to buy a 2nd pair - will try a 25/25 as I think weight/aero penalty may be almost non-existant.
Last edited by 4ibanez on Wed May 29, 2019 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Double post

dim

by dim

I've had my first ride today on my new bike (1985 Miyata One Thousand) .... I have fitted the GP5000 clinchers in 32mm wide ... I will update this thread in a few months time with my thoughts
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

Just got a single gp5000 25c to test on my bike. I have aero rims and planned on a 23/25 combo... assuming a mounted measurement of 24/26mm (17.5id rim).

The 25c measured 25mm at my typical 65psi. Very nice, as that is perfect for my rims (25.5 at brake tracks, up to 28mm mid rim). I will give them time, and a ride or two, and remeasure. On the same rims, the gp4000s2 with a bit of use are 27mm.

Also, They are far easier tires to mount than my gp4000s2’s.

Alumen

by Alumen

I have ordered 2x GP5k clinchers in 23mm and on my scale they weigh respectively 202 and 203 gram.

Out of the box they felt exactly like the GP4k's and were very easy to mount on my Fulcrum 4 wheels. Though they are feeling less supple then my Vittoria Rubino Pro's they are replacing. The Rubino's are 150tpi and the 5k's 110tpi and so the difference is clearly noticable when holding both tyres in your hands.

Tonight I will do a test ride, I have ridden GP4k's in the past as well (both 23mm as well as 25mm), I really wonder how they will hold up in terms of grip and speed.
CAAD 13 Disc
CAAD 10 2015 R.I.P.
Kona Kahuna

28, the real 25

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dim

by dim

something that I noticed yesterday with my 32's .....

we had heavy rain and when I stopped cycling , I felt the tyres to check air pressure .... both tyres were very sticky (on the sidewalls aswell as the tread part ....

however, when there is no rain/water on the roads, the tyres feel normal (not sticky)
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand