New Continental 5000s tires - the CLINCHER (not TL) thread

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

fourfa wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:53 pm

Is the sizing comparable between TL and clincher? (Sorry, I know this is the non-TL thread) My 28mm GP5k TLs measured 30.5mm on 22mm internal road wheels, right after first install (haven't checked for stretch since).

Since 22/23mm hooked rims are extremely rare, I was using 21mm wide rims as a reference. which will have the 28s in the 29.5mm range.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

IvanZg

by IvanZg

I got a puncture on the side wall of my rear gp5000. It has only done 920km. It happened when I was some 500m away from home so it was not a big deal. But my concern is that I had similar things happening on gp4000 when it blow up while i was pushing my bike on the side of the road. I pretty much only climb and descent so it scared me a bit, if it would have happened some 30 minutes before it would be on a decent at speeds over 50 km/h. I patched it from the inside with some inner tube patches for now. Also on the outer of the tire you can see metal wires angled at 45 degrees. I am not sure if they were there when the tires was brand new. Also I never ran it more than 7bars.
Do you recon it's safe to keep using the tire or should I replace it ASAP?
Btw I did not ran anything sharp over. It just happened while riding along

http://i63.tinypic.com/2rr534o.jpg

http://i67.tinypic.com/2w4h8g9.jpg

http://i67.tinypic.com/14ahjz5.jpg

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Despite what’s been reported on BRR, I believe the TL and non-TL are sized the same. There’s no reason for Conti to size them differently. If you take a digital caliper and take five width measurements on the same tire they will vary slightly. They could vary close to a single mm based on my experience. BRR also round up and down to the nearest 1mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Metal wires, lol. Those are the nylon threads, and yes they were always visible on your tire.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

IvanZg wrote:I got a puncture on the side wall of my rear gp5000.
Pic 1 is quite blurry on my Smartphone. So I can’t say what caused the puncture. By looking at pic 2 I think you’ll be fine with a patch over the hole. Pic 3 appears normal. There’s nothing to be concerned about. Btw there’s no metal in the tire. The white lines are reinforcement fibers that don’t have enough rubber coating on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

Really happy running 25c’s on my carbon clinchers with 28mm width. 17.25 so id and they measure a true 25mm at my preasures around 65-70psi. Will recheck for stretach as they now have decient miles on them.

dorin

by dorin

For the first time I had a crash due to skidding tires, GP5000, ok I was fast, about 45km/hr in a 180 curve, when I leaned to take the curve the bike flew from under me. Not saying is the gp’s fault only, but I don’t think I was way faster than normal, could also have been dirty road, Dolomites, Sud Tirol. And had two punctures on Tubolito tubes (used them first each of them in this combination), so i’d Say normal, but not “oh my, bomb proof”

nycebo

by nycebo

@dorin, hope you're okay. What width tire? What pressure?

alcatraz

by alcatraz

IvanZg got the steel wire bead version of conti gp5000 :D

Sure they arent GP6000?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

dorin wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:39 pm
For the first time I had a crash due to skidding tires, GP5000, ok I was fast, about 45km/hr in a 180 curve, when I leaned to take the curve the bike flew from under me. Not saying is the gp’s fault only, but I don’t think I was way faster than normal, could also have been dirty road, Dolomites, Sud Tirol. And had two punctures on Tubolito tubes (used them first each of them in this combination), so i’d Say normal, but not “oh my, bomb proof”

I've been saying all along in the tubeless GP5K thread (why are there even two threads?) that the grip isn't stellar. Average at best, probably slightly worse than Hutchinson Fusion 5s...maybe equal to Schwalbe Pro Ones. If you want a noticeable improvement in grip, go with the Corsa G2.0s.

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

Of interest, swisside tested the gp4000s2 vs gp5000 and the 4000 is more aerodynamic. They said that the gp5000 is about equal in performance however given the better crr.

So if you go fast... the 4000 is still the way to go on the front. Just mind your width.

zefs

by zefs

Continental Grand Prix 5000 Endurance Test
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... rance-test

dorin

by dorin

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:17 am
dorin wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:39 pm

I've been saying all along in the tubeless GP5K thread (why are there even two threads?) that the grip isn't stellar. Average at best, probably slightly worse than Hutchinson Fusion 5s...maybe equal to Schwalbe Pro Ones. If you want a noticeable improvement in grip, go with the Corsa G2.0s.
What inner rim width do you have and what tire size? I liked the gp4000 25 and now used gp5000 28, same width as 25 gp4k.

Cheers,
Dorin

dim

by dim

nearly 2000 Km on my Conti GP 5000 clinchers (32mm wide) on my commute bike (Mitata 1000 )....

zero punctures, fast tyres, and i ride on shitty potholed roads and through broken beer bottles in Cambridge city .... I've ridden them in dry and in pouring rain

tyres look good after 2000Km and still lots of life left in them .... buy them .... I rate them highly

I also have the tubeless version in 25mm wide on my trek Emonda SL6 and I will buy them again (and again)

Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I agree that tread wear rates were good. My rear didn't even show a hint of squaring off at 1500mi. I also agree that the rubber compound copes with glass pretty well. And of course they are fast too.

However people either love GP4K/5K or hate them and it comes down to sidewall tears.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com