New Continental 5000s tires - the CLINCHER (not TL) thread

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Robius

by Robius

Undisputed 5w RR gain per pair is worth a few more dollars.
2016 Felt AR2 Di2
Retired:
2017 Giant TCR Pro 2
2015 Cannondale Synapse 6

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dim

by dim

I've been using the GP5000 clinchers (32mm wide) on my Miyata 1000 bike. I've ridden in pouring rain, potholed roads, over broken glass etc and I am very impressed with these. I use the bike as my daily commuter (approx 40-50km/day)

so far, I am nearing 4000km on these and have had zero punctures (I normally start getting punctures on other tyres around the 2000km mark on the roads that I travel)... I have not switched tyres front to back .... they still look good aswell

I'm in the process of having new wheels built (HED Belgium Plus rims, Son Deluxe dynamo hub, Supernova E3 Triple dynamo light plus the rear Supernova light, and a powebank charger) ... I should have the new wheels in a week or so, and I will fit Continental GP5000 TL (tubeless version in 32mm)

I'm using the tubeless version (25mm) on my Trek Emonda SL6 and on that bike, I have just over 1600km with zero punctures

Grip and wear is good, they are fast so buy them, they are very very good IMHO (I never liked the GP4000 and found that Specialized Turbo Cotton were a much better tyre)
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

sychen

by sychen

How do they compare with turbo cottons? They have been my tire of choice for the last year.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

dim

by dim

sychen wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:31 pm
How do they compare with turbo cottons? They have been my tire of choice for the last year.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Turbo Cottons are very good, and they were my tire of choice before GP5000 .... The GP5000 are more durable/longer lasting and are faster. I have not tried the Turbo Cotton Hell of the North (28mm wide) yet and will try them in the future

I've used Turbo Cotton (25mm wide) during pouring rain and during winter, and they were fine
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

tomycs

by tomycs

No punctures today on first wet UK ride (about 800 dry kms before this) on 25mm GP5000 but not impressed either, a fair amount less grippy in the wet than Schwalbe One (2017+) or the old GP4000SII.

Marin

by Marin

Did you crash? If not, how did you test the grip?

tomycs

by tomycs

I can feel a tyre losing grip without crashing. I also adjust my speed going through corners after that and eventually reduce air pressure.

dim

by dim

tomycs wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:53 am
I can feel a tyre losing grip without crashing. I also adjust my speed going through corners after that and eventually reduce air pressure.
Nah ... you are doing it wrong ...

I wake up in the morning, get ready for work, have a coffee, and just before Im about to leave, I check my tyres by squeezing them with my thumb and forefinger ...

(just in case I've got a slow puncture from my previous ride) ...

no need to be like Evel Knievel going around corners on tyres that are not properly inflated, then letting out more air :)
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

dim

by dim

I eventualy got a puncture on the rear tyre (GP5000 32mm clincher) .... 4,211.3 km and bear in mind that I have 2 large pannier bags loaded with heavy equipment on crappy roads

I've just switched to some other tyres I have had lying around (IRC Aspite Pro Wet) .... these will be used till the end of the month until my new wheels are built (I will use the GP5000 tubeless version in 32mm)

so guys, maybe I was lucky, but I highly recomend these ... amazing tyres
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

sceptre

by sceptre

A question that I couldn't find an answer to within the thread :

Can a GP5000 (not TL) be used tubeless ?
I have a set of 28's but I'm finding clearance in my frame is a little too snug at the rear, so looking to get a 25 instead.

My rims are road tubeless ready (no spoke holes) so also considering switching to tubeless if I can.

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Just looking at getting some more tyres in, so figured out the lifespan of my GP5000s to date. May be useful to know.

23mm front had almost exactly 4,500 miles before the 1st puncture. As winter is starting to set in I'm finding flint in it every 1 or 2 rides since then. Only done another 100 miles or so since the puncture, but looking like time to replace.

The 25mm rear got 2,750 miles ish into it before I replaced it (after puncture number 2 & 3 in 2 consecutive days). It got its 1st puncture about 70% through this time with a big sharp bit of flint. The replacement rear (25mm) has about 1,750 in it so far, and is starting to get some cuts. Am thinking about moving this one to the front and put a 28mm GP4000s that I picked up cheap. I really don't like the idea of slow tyres even in winter!

TriJoeri

by TriJoeri

I didn't read through the entire thread but did someone else notice these showing the wires on the sidewall quite early already? They have less than 500km on them and I can already see the wires through the rubber on the side where the Conti logo is. 23mm on a 19-25mm (internal-external) width wheel with 7 bar of pressure.

IvanZg

by IvanZg

Those nylon threads (or whatever they are) where showing on my pair from early beginning. I got rid of them when side wall blew up after cca 1000km.

AJS914

by AJS914

sceptre wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:02 pm
A question that I couldn't find an answer to within the thread :

Can a GP5000 (not TL) be used tubeless ?
I have a set of 28's but I'm finding clearance in my frame is a little too snug at the rear, so looking to get a 25 instead.

My rims are road tubeless ready (no spoke holes) so also considering switching to tubeless if I can.
You could try and go "ghetto tubeless" with the non-TL tire. The beauty of the TL tire though is the inner butyl layer. It keeps the sealant from weeping through sidewalls. The tire seals up incredibly well and the sealant lasts a long time.

I just setup 25mm GP5000TL and have been really enjoying the tires. They feel very fast. I haven't a flat yet that I've noticed.

slake21

by slake21

anyone here using a 19mm internal rim?
my 25mm 4000s were close to 28mm which made taking the rear wheel out very difficult
that's why I ordered 23mm 5000 hoping it will actually be 25mm (for my 24mm external rims)
but now I'm no so sure about my choice :?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com